Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login

Old 07-28-2019, 01:23 AM   #61

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Aria 3901
State: Arizona
THOR #14127
Check it out! Stopped by National Indoor RV Centers in Phoenix for service and they have a new batch of 2020 Arias. Decided to check them out while I was there. The new 2020 Thor Aria 3901 has the wireless Firefly Integrations panels like the earlier coaches...but they are LED back-lit panels!!

Contacting Firefly Integrations to see if they can be retrofitted into older coaches like my 2017!

Video of them functioning:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/jp08ax3lda...39.40.mov?dl=0
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2019-07-27 11.40.12.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	216.2 KB
ID:	19238   Click image for larger version

Name:	2019-07-27 11.40.31.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	19239  

Old 08-01-2019, 11:50 PM   #62

State: Michigan
THOR #12333
The backlit is nice. Someone at Thor must have finally heard everyone complaining. Too be honest though, I have put little foam stickies on the light switches so we never even look at the panels now to turn on a light. Just feel and press. The backlit panels wouldn't even make a difference. Still nice though.
funmoneypit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 10:34 PM   #63

Model: Hurricane 34R
State: British Columbia
THOR #16278
When I contacted then they said they can be retrofitted as long as you run a power wire for the back light.
Old 08-07-2019, 11:25 PM   #64

Model: Chateau 35SF
State: Missouri
THOR #2020
I posted about the backlit controls in another thread quite some time ago. I like the normal controls for a couple of reasons. 1) You can move them if you don’t like the location. 2) Running an additional wire to each module just increases the cost. 3) DW doesn’t like the glow from LED controls. 4) I would still want to put the bumps on because I couldn’t read them without my glasses anyway. 5) We have gotten so used to the layout of each switch that just having the bump let’s us pick the correct switch.
Old 08-08-2019, 02:43 AM   #65

THOR #14127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeddy View Post
When I contacted then they said they can be retrofitted as long as you run a power wire for the back light.
Hrrmmm...the ones I saw in the 2020 Aria 3901 appear to still be wireless with the CR lithium battery on the back and micro-LEDs for lighting. I didn't see any wires. I ordered three of them and they should arrive in the next day or so. Will post what I receive and how they work.
Old 08-08-2019, 02:45 AM   #66

THOR #14127
Quote:
Originally Posted by pstandiford View Post
I posted about the backlit controls in another thread quite some time ago. I like the normal controls for a couple of reasons. 1) You can move them if you don’t like the location. 2) Running an additional wire to each module just increases the cost. 3) DW doesn’t like the glow from LED controls. 4) I would still want to put the bumps on because I couldn’t read them without my glasses anyway. 5) We have gotten so used to the layout of each switch that just having the bump let’s us pick the correct switch.
I agree 100%. Unless I missed something about what I saw, these are still wireless (just with micro-LEDs embedded in the board for back-lighting). I should know in the next couple days when they arrive from Firefly...
Old 08-08-2019, 03:05 AM   #67

THOR #16278
Quote:
Originally Posted by aznytfury View Post
I agree 100%. Unless I missed something about what I saw, these are still wireless (just with micro-LEDs embedded in the board for back-lighting). I should know in the next couple days when they arrive from Firefly...
Please keep us posted. I have seen several types ones like posted above and others that are LCD. I sent the emails back in May prior to purchasing my coach Maybe something has changed.
Old 08-08-2019, 02:24 PM   #68
LDK

State: Colorado
THOR #13190
I contacted Firefly Integrations about switching to the backlit switches. They shared the cost would be one time $750 for setup (custom program, documentation) plus $165 per switch. They (Leon Bontrager) stated the one time fee could not be waived.
Old 08-08-2019, 03:52 PM   #69

THOR #14127
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDK View Post
I contacted Firefly Integrations about switching to the backlit switches. They shared the cost would be one time $750 for setup (custom program, documentation) plus $165 per switch. They (Leon Bontrager) stated the one time fee could not be waived.
I talked to Leon too. $135/switch. No programming. But...to be fair, they are being shipped and I haven't received them yet...so I will let you know how this goes. BTW: I am not sure why the local switch would require programming to allow back-lighting. It seems to be a local function on the switch plate itself. Also...I think these are very new btw. When did you get that answer from Leon?
Old 08-08-2019, 04:47 PM   #70
LDK

THOR #13190
I received the email from Leon this morning. Look forward to hearing what you learn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aznytfury View Post
I talked to Leon too. $135/switch. No programming. But...to be fair, they are being shipped and I haven't received them yet...so I will let you know how this goes. BTW: I am not sure why the local switch would require programming to allow back-lighting. It seems to be a local function on the switch plate itself. Also...I think these are very new btw. When did you get that answer from Leon?
Old 08-08-2019, 06:09 PM   #71

THOR #16278
I am going back and forth with them right now as I am having some issues with my system. To be fair I thing the issues might have been caused by the selling dealer. So far they have been great to deal with. I also inquired again about backlit switches. I'm curious to hear what they say as it sounds like there are wireless and wired backlit switches.
Old 08-12-2019, 11:22 PM   #72

THOR #16278
I'm still going back and forth with Firefly to sort out some issues I was having. They did confirm there is a new battery operated backlit switch now and my system can be retrofitted. The response I got back in May was that the backlit switches were wired so thing have changed I guess. I will say this, they have been great to deal with I'm really impressed with how quickly they respond. They have built a model of my coach to try to recreate the issues I am having.
Old 08-13-2019, 01:35 AM   #73

Model: 2019 Thor Aria 3901
State: Illinois
THOR #11051
I too put one clear stick pad on an individual light switch per module. Easy to feel and turn on the one set of lights and then able to see the rest of the switches. I really like the master off/on switch at the entry door.
Old 08-15-2019, 01:32 PM   #74

THOR #14127
Quote:
I received the email from Leon this morning. Look forward to hearing what you learn.
I received the new wireless, back-lit switches (control pads) this week and installed them! The process was pretty simple and only took about 10 minutes. The switches ended up costing $135/ea. and required no programming adjustment on the Firefly system. They will snap into the original backing plates as well. Keep in mind that your 'mileage may vary' if your control panel doesn't allow for 'pairing', etc. based on your firmware version.

Click Here for New Switches Video

Side by side comparison of the new switches vs. old switches. Only noticable physical difference is that the old switches have a gloss bezel while the new switches are matte:

Process to 'pair' new switches on 4.3" B&W screen in 2017 Aria 3901:

Step 1: Prep the new switches by pulling the battery protector tab and making sure they light up when you press a button

Step 2: Go to 'settings' and select 'Switch Info' on the main control panel

Step 3: Hold down the switch you are replacing for 5+ seconds and release

Step 4: Select 'start pairing' (note: you have 30 seconds to complete the next task)

Step 5: Hold down any two buttons on the new switch until the main control panel acknowledges the pairing is successful (takes about 3 seconds)

That's it! This should be the result:

Old 08-15-2019, 09:30 PM   #75
LDK

THOR #13190
Great news! Thank you for sharing the details!

My coach is at the factory service center at the moment so can't verify, but I don't believe I have access to the Settings you mention via the Firefly panel. Now wondering if that is why Leon quoted the one time $750 fee. Maybe someone else with a 2019 Aria can verify?
Old 08-15-2019, 09:41 PM   #76
LDK

THOR #13190
Quote:
Great news! Thank you for sharing the details!

My coach is at the factory service center at the moment so can't verify, but I don't believe I have access to the Settings you mention via the Firefly panel. Now wondering if that is why Leon quoted the one time $750 fee. Maybe someone else with a 2019 Aria can verify?
Related to settings via the Firefly panel, am interested in getting access to the Magnum Inverter/Charger settings. I heard rumors can get access through the Firefly panel versus needing to purchase/install the Mangum remote panel ME-ARC50. I upgraded my house batteries, and the manufacturer recommends different charger settings than the MS2812 default settings. If anyone knows how, please do share.
Old 11-18-2019, 01:23 AM   #77

Model: Hurricane 34J
State: Florida
THOR #15745
Just purchased a 2019 Thor Hurricane 34J and it has the 2018 firefly Mira system. No backlit controls. Very bad planning on Thor’s part. The backlit control switches should be standard or retrofitted as a recall. It is very dangerous for old people like us to try and fight to find the light switch.
Also has anyone had a problem with the Mira not showing the LP tank. Mine was showing during the walk through and when I picked it up it is not showing the lp tank level shows DISC.
FMCA Member
Badmanrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 06:49 PM   #78

Model: Venetian A40
State: Idaho
THOR #17453
Quote:
Originally Posted by J parsons View Post
How did you get it to load? My Aria does not have numbers to sync only dashes, dealer was no help, the Thor tech told me I needed to talk to the service dept. but they are much in the dark as I am. I would like for no other reason than to be able to turn cargo lights on as they time out way sooner than needed!!!
Were you ever able to resolve this? I called Firefly who referred me to Thor. That fella recommended a complete power down, including generator off, inverter off, shore power disconnected and most importantly battery disconnect switch to isolated or off for a few minutes to effect a cold reboot. I'll try that as soon as my wife's internet work day is over, but if I try it right now, I'll be sleeping on the floor in the public bathroom.

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/att...1&d=1576521852
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3887.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	21854  
Old 12-17-2019, 04:06 AM   #79

THOR #14127
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWaterSUX View Post
Were you ever able to resolve this? I called Firefly who referred me to Thor. That fella recommended a complete power down, including generator off, inverter off, shore power disconnected and most importantly battery disconnect switch to isolated or off for a few minutes to effect a cold reboot. I'll try that as soon as my wife's internet work day is over, but if I try it right now, I'll be sleeping on the floor in the public bathroom.

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/att...1&d=1576521852
In addition to installing the Mira unit on the RV-C network, I had to also upgrade the Firefly firmware on the controller and then do a complete hard power cycle. A soft reboot wasn't sufficient in my case. Firefly sent me an upgrader utility and instructions...was fairly straight-forward. I was originally on the 4.3" screen too...but recently upgraded to the 7" color screen like the 2018+ Arias. Quite a difference.
Old 12-17-2019, 04:18 PM   #80

Model: Windsport 27B
State: Tennessee
THOR #14933
Firefly battery settings?

Quote:
Related to settings via the Firefly panel, am interested in getting access to the Magnum Inverter/Charger settings. I heard rumors can get access through the Firefly panel versus needing to purchase/install the Mangum remote panel ME-ARC50. I upgraded my house batteries, and the manufacturer recommends different charger settings than the MS2812 default settings. If anyone knows how, please do share.
I have the same issue right now, did you get an answer as to whether you can change the battery setting on the Firefly? Also I assume you are upgrading the house battery to lithium? Did you have any issues with vehicle charging the house batteries in transit? Any help is appreciated.

Tags
3901, aria, firefly, mira, multiplex