Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login

Old 09-28-2019, 08:51 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 36TL
State: North Carolina
THOR #16730
Thor stairs - can you make them stay retracted?

New owner of 2017 Thor Challenger 36TL. I have a switch by the steps to make them stay out while in camp. Is there a way to make them stay retracted all the time so I can use other larger steps?

Old 09-28-2019, 08:57 PM   #2

Model: Chateau 35SF
State: Missouri
THOR #2020
We don’t have a Challenger but do have a Thor Super C. To my knowledge there is no way to keep them retracted. However, you might be able to pull a fuse to keep them retracted.
Old 09-28-2019, 10:03 PM   #3
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
An often request feature that will never be implemented due to the implied liability of a little old lady hitting the deck face first due to the step not being out when she expected them to be.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 11:18 PM   #4

THOR #16730
Thanks!

Thank you both for the replies! I will look for a fuse. I figured there must be something I could disconnect. I understand why it is not built in.
Old 09-29-2019, 12:12 AM   #5
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbl7777 View Post
Thank you both for the replies! I will look for a fuse. I figured there must be something I could disconnect. I understand why it is not built in.
Take a look right at the step motor... My last rig had a plugged connection nearby that would disable the motor.
Had to find it when the steps were randomly extending while driving.. until the real problem was found.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 04:56 PM   #6
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
If the chassis engine is running: ours retract and deploy with every opening and closing of the Coach door.
Regardless of the position of the switch that turns them on or off!
I guess that it's something you get used to!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 05:29 PM   #7

Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
Hmmm......pretty sure my chassis battery disconnect switch at the door would kill the steps (old ACE has both coach and chassis disconnects at the door but new coaches don't seem to have them any more - cost savings probably). You could try putting a battery disconnect on your chassis battery, but that might affect other goodies you want to stay connected. Why not leave your coach step as it is and build a junker like I did from scraps around the shop? Use your creative juices. The DW and I love the step......

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f27...tep-19116.html
Old 09-29-2019, 05:45 PM   #8

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
If the chassis engine is running: ours retract and deploy with every opening and closing of the Coach door.

What you are saying is that whenever you have the key turned in the ignition, whether the coach is cranked, or not, the steps will Extend/Retract EVERY time the door is opened, or closed. Yes, that is exactly the way it is designed, and SHOULD work that way, NO MATTER which way you have the 'stay open, always open' switch is deployed.
The steps are tied into an 'ignition interlock', which means that the ignition overrides the 'stay out all the time' switch position, since you don't want the steps staying out while you are driving, even if you only 'accidentally' had the switch in the 'stay out' position.
It's a safety thang.

Now, if you have the switch in the 'stay out all the time' position, and you are PARKED, and you do NOT have the key turned on in the ignition, then the steps should stay OUT all the time. That's what the switch is for.

Though, so folks DON'T want their steps to stay out all the time, EVEN when they are parked... such as when they have their coach in STORAGE, and the steps don't need to be out all the time. Many dealers also do this while the coach is for sale on their lot.

If you are parked, and the key is not in the ignition, or not 'turned' in the ignition, and you have the step switch in the 'always out' position, and the steps continue to move in and out each time you open the screen door, then you have problem within the switch itself.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 07:04 PM   #9

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
Seems like if you disconnect the step motor it will stay in all the time.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 11:12 PM   #10

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerFam View Post
What you are saying is that whenever you have the key turned in the ignition, whether the coach is cranked, or not, the steps will Extend/Retract EVERY time the door is opened, or closed. Yes, that is exactly the way it is designed, and SHOULD work that way, NO MATTER which way you have the 'stay open, always open' switch is deployed.

The steps are tied into an 'ignition interlock', which means that the ignition overrides the 'stay out all the time' switch position, since you don't want the steps staying out while you are driving, even if you only 'accidentally' had the switch in the 'stay out' position.

It's a safety thang.

Now, if you have the switch in the 'stay out all the time' position, and you are PARKED, and you do NOT have the key turned on in the ignition, then the steps should stay OUT all the time. That's what the switch is for.

Though, so folks DON'T want their steps to stay out all the time, EVEN when they are parked... such as when they have their coach in STORAGE, and the steps don't need to be out all the time. Many dealers also do this while the coach is for sale on their lot.

If you are parked, and the key is not in the ignition, or not 'turned' in the ignition, and you have the step switch in the 'always out' position, and the steps continue to move in and out each time you open the screen door, then you have problem within the switch itself.

Think he wants to use alternate steps for some reason so does not want the factory steps to operate at all. Don’t know why but we all have our reasons.
Old 09-30-2019, 12:01 AM   #11
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Yep.. The ignition on overrides the switch and retracts the steps - and opening the door overrides the override and extends the steps so you don't fall out.
The switch is only meaningful with ignition off whether to leave steps out - or extend/retract with door open/close.
No choice to leave steps in (short of the chassis battery disconnect - that would do it... but of course other things may not work that you want.)

Easy enough to put a plug in the step motor wiring if there isn't one (as I said my old Infinity had one...)
I've seen people in campgrounds with larger wooden steps out of trailer or motor home for ease of access, a better railing, etc.. If they can't be built to clear the extended steps - then disconnecting the motor would do it.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 01:44 AM   #12

Model: Citation
State: Texas
THOR #8139
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbl7777 View Post
New owner of 2017 Thor Challenger 36TL. I have a switch by the steps to make them stay out while in camp. Is there a way to make them stay retracted all the time so I can use other larger steps?
I'm not sure about Thor class A but our sob A was easy to keep the steps in.

IF Thor uses a magnet on the screen door here's an easy way.
Get a small bar magnet, and attach (velcro) it on the screen door sensor on the door frame. This will tell the system that the screen door is closed even thought it is open and the*steps*will stay retracted.
Old 09-30-2019, 09:12 AM   #13

Model: 2019 Aria 4000
State: Utah
THOR #15943
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Keefer View Post

Agreed. Our first RV had a quick-disconnect for the wiring and also a clevis pin with cotter pin on the motor arm. That clevis pin broke once so I replaced it with a grade 8 nut and bolt, and plugged/unplugged the motor to turn the arm to the right position in order to install the bolt. If most are similar I suppose one could just pull the quick-disconnect with the steps retracted in order to keep it in the retracted position.
GVP
Old 10-01-2019, 04:46 PM   #14

Model: 2016 Siesta Sprinter 24ST
THOR #2812
Quote:
Originally Posted by abjbrtd View Post
I'm not sure about Thor class A but our sob A was easy to keep the steps in.

IF Thor uses a magnet on the screen door here's an easy way.
Get a small bar magnet, and attach (velcro) it on the screen door sensor on the door frame. This will tell the system that the screen door is closed even thought it is open and the*steps*will stay retracted.
^^^^
Easy answer- With step switch "ON" the steps open and close with the door. A magnet on the door sensor would keep the steps retracted. Remove the magnet when you remove the extra steps.
Magnet/sensor is at the bottom of the outside edge of the screen door.
1972 Moto Guzzi Eldorado
Hooligan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 05:15 PM   #15

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Keefer View Post

^^^what he said^^^ Seems pretty easy to me also! Forget all the chassis science...just disconnect the motor.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 11:59 AM   #16

THOR #16730
Thanks everyone for the information and ideas. I haven't had a chance yet to try the magnet or disconnection solutions. I will let you know what works best.
Old 10-05-2019, 08:22 PM   #17

Model: Windsport 27K
State: Kentucky
THOR #2817
There are times when I don't want the step to deploy when I open the door. Specifically when parking near a curb and I am not sure that there is clearance for the step. I don't want to have the step hit the curb and get damaged. I think a switch near the door would be good for me. The magnet is an excellent idea, but a bit too much finagling, because I want to keep the step in before I get out.
Old 10-05-2019, 08:25 PM   #18

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
steps 'hitting' a curb won't damage them, they are designed to 'stop' once a certain force, or resistance to the motor, has been encountered - they will stop and not continue.

so, we actually like to LET ours 'hit the curb' as this provide a seamless exit/entry...
but, we also only have a single step that comes out, horizontally, and does not come 'down' or does not have several steps to contend with

no worries
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 09:56 PM   #19

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalman View Post
There are times when I don't want the step to deploy when I open the door. Specifically when parking near a curb and I am not sure that there is clearance for the step. I don't want to have the step hit the curb and get damaged. I think a switch near the door would be good for me. The magnet is an excellent idea, but a bit too much finagling, because I want to keep the step in before I get out.

Ah! I can understand that. Had the very problem when we stopped for lunch one day in a small town in Montana. Our steps didn’t so much land atop a curb as wedge into it. Stuck fast and wouldn’t even retract. Made a dreadful noise when we backed up to free them. But no harm seems to have come from it. Switch is a good and simple idea. I thought mine was a pretty isolated occurrence though so I haven’t worried about it further. Good luck!
Old 10-06-2019, 01:55 AM   #20

State: California
THOR #15418
I have a 2019 Challenger YT. In the cabinet above the door is a stair switch that will either keep stairs down all the time in one position and in the other position stairs come down when door opens and retract when door closes. In either position when you put transmission in drive the stairs retract.

Tags
steps