Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-31-2018, 11:59 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 30.3
State: Washington
THOR #10467
Do I have a "smart" battery charger in my Thor?

Does a 2017 Thor ACE have a "smart" charger, that is one which is multi-stage that will not cause the batteries to sulfate when being plugged in over long periods? I store my RV in a lot away from my home so I can't constantly check the battery water levels. Should I then disconnect the negative wire and use an external charger instead? If so, is there any way I can use one charger for both coach batteries?

Old 11-01-2018, 12:50 AM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Yes, but you should insure it works as expected. The voltage should be 13.0 to 13.1 on the batteries after being fully charges while connected to shore power.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 01:13 AM   #3

Model: ACE 30.3
State: Washington
THOR #10467
I'm quite sure it works charging the batteries. I just want to make sure they don't get overcharged after say a month or more.
Old 11-01-2018, 01:15 AM   #4

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
I think most flooded battery chargers float at 13.2 to 13.5 volts. My FWCO 8955 charger did and my PPS 5365 does float between 13.4 and 13.5 normal temperature days. While the ideal for new batteries to keep the water level constant, the slightly higher voltages compensate for used batteries and colder weather. The only time you will see a 13.1 volt float voltage is in new batteries and hot weather (above 90 degrees ambient). Of course you can buy a charger that monitors battery temperatures to ensure your batteries are kept at max charge capacity.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 01:22 AM   #5

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
THOR #5821
With your converter working correctly, your batteries will last longer, left plugged in while your MH is in storage. The only time mine is not plugged in, is while we are enroute from one place to another.
Old 11-01-2018, 01:31 AM   #6
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
The float stage brings the battery all the way through and maintains the 100% state of charge. The voltage will taper down and maintain at a steady 13.2-13.4 volts, which is the maximum voltage a 12 volt battery can hold. The current will also decrease to a point where it's considered a trickle. That's where the term "trickle charger" comes from. It's essentially the float stage where there is charge going into the battery at all times, but only at a safe rate to ensure a full state of charge and nothing more. Most smart chargers do not turn off at this point, yet it is completely safe to leave a battery in float mode for months to even years at a time.
I can only tell you my ACE floats at 13.1 volts so I am not worried in the least about boiling the batteries over time.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote