Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login

Old 09-04-2019, 11:33 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Montana
THOR #16625
Togo Roadlink C2 Question

I am interested in getting the Togo Roadlink C2, but I have some unusual questions that I need some help with. We are in rural Montana and have terrible Internet options. Hypothetically , I would like to get one for the MH, that I could use for the house when I am home. I am not particularly knowledgeable about hooking things like this up, but I have a potential plan and I would like your input.

- - Build some sort of mount point that gets permanently mounted to the MH and one for the house. This is so I don’t have to keep attaching it to and detaching it from the roof itself.
- - Buy a power converter for the house that this can plug into to provide it with 12V power. The converters I was looking at have a way of using a plug-in connector. Not sure of the name of the plug-in connector.
- - Add that connector to the power wire for the Roadlink.
- - Add that type of connector to my MH.

This would allow me to move the Roadlink back and forth as needed. I know that it is not what Togo and AT&T intended, but I am very sick of data capped satellite and 1.5Mbps DSL. What do you think?

Thanks for any help,
Early

Old 09-04-2019, 11:58 PM   #2

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
I have something similar... I guess.
I have a cell booster that rotates from vehicle to vehicle and to my home sometimes.
Each vehicle has its own antennas, as does the house. My Verizon router goes right along with it. No problems. I've been doing this for about 7 years now. A power cord, a big antenna fitting and a little antenna fitting and I'm switched out in about two minutes.
The rv came with a booster and antennas so all I swap in is the router.
Buy a foam lined box and just do as you planned IF you can get service at the house good enough to bother with. Bad service is going to dictate if your booster will work better than your dsl.
Old 09-05-2019, 01:06 AM   #3
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
Togo Roadlink C2 Question

Many did just what you suggested with the AT&T Mobley and ‘connected car’ service... not what AT&T expected/intended... The device plugs into ODB2 diag port, but only draws 12v power from there. A quick amazon/eBay purchase of mating connector and a google search on pin outs... and a 12v transformer from the box of them in my shop, and Mobley works everywhere... house, shop, car, RV.
For Togo, appears they ask the VIN it is going in... so has to be a real RV associated... Not sure what connections they use and if they can tell anything more. I’m going to guess you can make it work... If I didn’t have Mobley, I would be trying it too.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 09:44 PM   #4

Model: 26HE
State: Alabama
THOR #12744
Do you have a good AT&T signal at your home now? That would be very important since it's locked to AT&T.

I recently installed the TOGO. I'm not seeing blazing speeds, but it has been good enough to stream movies on a Roku as well as browse with other devices at the same time. The average speed seems to be about 10 Mbps. I have yet to test it anywhere but my backyard.

If your RV is somewhat close to the house and always connected to power, you could just leave it on the RV. Mine is roughly 30 feet away and I can use it in the house. Fortunately, I have AT&T fiber at home (350 Mbps!). I did connect a Roku from within my house to the TOGO and ran it for multiple days to test the performance of the TOGO. It performed well. The reach of the Wifi MIMO antennas is also impressive.

There are only two connections on the TOGO. Two wires for 12 volts input power and a hidden ethernet connection. They don't really advertise the ethernet port and the one extra hole in the TOGO is too small to simply connect a cable. You would have to run the wire into the TOGO and then install an ethernet connector.

You could then install an ethernet jack somewhere on the RV. Install a wireless router in your house. Then just run a cable from the wireless router to the RV ethernet jack. Connect all of your home devices to the wireless router. No setup required with the ethernet port. Just plug it in.
Old 09-05-2019, 09:54 PM   #5

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmc View Post
Many did just what you suggested with the AT&T Mobley and ‘connected car’ service... not what AT&T expected/intended... The device plugs into ODB2 diag port, but only draws 12v power from there. A quick amazon/eBay purchase of mating connector and a google search on pin outs... and a 12v transformer from the box of them in my shop, and Mobley works everywhere... house, shop, car, RV.
For Togo, appears they ask the VIN it is going in... so has to be a real RV associated... Not sure what connections they use and if they can tell anything more. I’m going to guess you can make it work... If I didn’t have Mobley, I would be trying it too.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 09:57 PM   #6

THOR #12744
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmc View Post
I purchased mine from Amazon. It was $40 cheaper than anywhere else. I never had to provide a VIN number. The very first step was to input a serial number of the TOGO and the long tiny number on the sim card. I did have to add a description of my RV at some point. I think it asked for make and model in the Winegard app.
Old 09-05-2019, 10:31 PM   #7

THOR #16625
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad2018 View Post
Do you have a good AT&T signal at your home now? That would be very important since it's locked to AT&T.

I recently installed the TOGO. I'm not seeing blazing speeds, but it has been good enough to stream movies on a Roku as well as browse with other devices at the same time. The average speed seems to be about 10 Mbps. I have yet to test it anywhere but my backyard.

If your RV is somewhat close to the house and always connected to power, you could just leave it on the RV. Mine is roughly 30 feet away and I can use it in the house. Fortunately, I have AT&T fiber at home (350 Mbps!). I did connect a Roku from within my house to the TOGO and ran it for multiple days to test the performance of the TOGO. It performed well. The reach of the Wifi MIMO antennas is also impressive.

There are only two connections on the TOGO. Two wires for 12 volts input power and a hidden ethernet connection. They don't really advertise the ethernet port and the one extra hole in the TOGO is too small to simply connect a cable. You would have to run the wire into the TOGO and then install an ethernet connector.

You could then install an ethernet jack somewhere on the RV. Install a wireless router in your house. Then just run a cable from the wireless router to the RV ethernet jack. Connect all of your home devices to the wireless router. No setup required with the ethernet port. Just plug it in.

I have previously had AT&T at the house and it was a pretty good connection. I have recently been bugging the kids friends when they come over to ask if they have AT&T and to see their signal strength.

I was formerly in IT and I have an overly complex network situation in my house. I work from home and need to keep my son's gaming separate from my work network.

The plan is to have it be the only router in the RV. No Ethernet needed. For the house, I will mount it high on the outside wall and run the power cable and Ethernet cable into into the house. Power to a converter. Looking at this one.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002BA570...v_ov_lig_dp_it
Ethernet into my existing mesh WiFi system.

The big problem with my existing setup is that the satellite has a data cap that I blow through the first week of the month and then it is completely hit-or-miss with my speed for the rest of the month. It is usually fast enough to work, but barely. I would like to see faster than 10Mbps, but that would be a net upgrade for me.

Unfortunately, I will be storing the RV offsite through the winter or your plan would be a possibility. We have room in the yard for it until the snow flies. I don't trust my plow guy enough to leave it in the driveway for the winter.

Thanks for all of the help.
Old 09-11-2019, 04:29 PM   #8

THOR #16625
I received the Togo Roadlink C2 this week and got it setup in my office for now to get it activated and configured. Below are some observations and notes.

- It is very light. Under the dome is mostly empty space.
- The Ethernet port is not in a place that makes any sense at all. The port itself is on a circuit board in the middle of the unit. There is a small hole with a plastic cap, but the hole is partially blocked by a different circuit board.
The hole is not big enough to pass a cable with the end on it. You would need to cut the end off the cable, pass the cable and then put a new end on it. Or, you could either drill a hole or expand the small existing hole. I currently have it sitting here with the dome off. I don't want to do any drilling or cutting until I am sure it is going to work well for me.

- It is fast! Of course this will vary by your location/signal strength, but I am seeing a consistent 40-50Mbps with it just sitting on my desk in my office. Oddly, the speed check part of the Winegard app is showing only 5-10Mbps, but both speedtest.net and fast.com are showing 40-50Mbps.
Keep in mind I am coming from Hughesnet satellite where I am usually throttled and seeing .5 Mbps or my CenturyLink 1.5Mbps DSL.

The setup was pretty easy. I just plugged it into the power converter I linked earlier in the thread and followed the steps in the manual. AT&T says that it is unlimited and nowhere in the literature for the $360/year plan does it mention a 22GB soft cap that I have seen other reviewers talk about. We will see soon enough when my son attaches his XBox to it and finally updates the dozen or so games that our connection was too slow to install before.

Overall, I am super happy with it. Obviously, YMMV with signal strength and speed, but it was a huge upgrade for me. It will save me $85/ month once I drop the Hughesnet connection and then another $45/ month once I am confident enough in the Togo that I can depend on it for work.

I may have over planned. I may just leave it in my office rather than going through the hassle of mounting it outside. Unfortunately, I already bought heavy duty power and Ethernet cables and waterproof connectors.
Old 09-11-2019, 04:43 PM   #9

THOR #12744
That's good to hear about the speeds. I suspected that my slow connections were because of where I live. I'm really close to the outer limits of town. Coverage maps show the same for 4G. My Verizon phone has about the same speeds as the TOGO at home.

I don't think they want us using the Ethernet port. I did it anyways since I only planned to go up on my roof once.

Looking forward to trying it out on our trip at the end of the month.
Old 12-19-2019, 10:08 PM   #10

Brand: Still Looking
State: North Carolina
THOR #17609
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarlyRV View Post
- The Ethernet port is not in a place that makes any sense at all. The port itself is on a circuit board in the middle of the unit. There is a small hole with a plastic cap, but the hole is partially blocked by a different circuit board.
The hole is not big enough to pass a cable with the end on it. You would need to cut the end off the cable, pass the cable and then put a new end on it. Or, you could either drill a hole or expand the small existing hole. I currently have it sitting here with the dome off. I don't want to do any drilling or cutting until I am sure it is going to work well for me.
I'm looking to purchase this unit but I cannot find any information on the Ethernet port and if it's simply a diagnostic port or if it will actually give a computer an IP address and pass it through to the internet. Did you ever try connecting the Ethernet? I'd love to know thanks!
Old 12-19-2019, 10:17 PM   #11

THOR #16625
It is a fully functional Ethernet port. I run it into a router and connect my desktop to the router with no problems. The Togo gives the router port an IP address via DHCP.

I am just using it in my house right now as my motor home is parked for the winter. I haven't got around to adjusting the hole for the cable yet. I just have the Togo sitting on a desk with the cover loosely over it with the cable going between the bottom and the cover.

I am still truly impressed with the unit, but after years of 1.5Mbps DSL and then satellite, it is not hard to impress me with good a Internet connection.
Old 12-19-2019, 10:20 PM   #12

THOR #17609
That is fantastic news! I just got off the phone with Winegard and the tech told me it was for diagnostics only and would not access the internet and could not be connected to a router.
Old 12-20-2019, 03:11 PM   #13

Model: 2019 Freedom Elite 30FE
State: New York
THOR #16600
Are you aware of the data plan change?
Old 12-21-2019, 03:07 AM   #14

THOR #17609
Sadly yes. Nothing good lasts. But apparently you can still activate the 1 year plan till January whatever and we are planning to do a 1 year trip so it kind of works out. Maybe AT&T or someone else will come up with a decent replacement plan. Winegard is planning to unlock the units so who knows.
Old 12-21-2019, 11:31 AM   #15

THOR #12744
Here is the new ATT plans according to the Airstream website. Basically, forget about streaming much of anything.

1 Month 5GB Adventure Plan - $25
1 Month 22GB Adventure Plan - $90
1 Month 50GB Adventure Plan - $175
1 Month 100GB Adventure Plan - $300
12-Month 100GB Adventure Plan - $325
Old 12-21-2019, 02:23 PM   #16
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad2018 View Post
Here is the new ATT plans according to the Airstream website. Basically, forget about streaming much of anything.

1 Month 5GB Adventure Plan - $25
1 Month 22GB Adventure Plan - $90
1 Month 50GB Adventure Plan - $175
1 Month 100GB Adventure Plan - $300
12-Month 100GB Adventure Plan - $325
That looks like AT&T is greedily trying to make up for their Mobley mis-step.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 04:47 PM   #17

Model: Windsport 34j
State: Wisconsin
THOR #11360
I use my phones Hotspot. I add it to my Winegard Connect 2 and I can then easily watch whatever on TV like Amazon, Google Play Movies etc. We have unlimited data plan. I added this line specifically for the purpose of bypassing AT&Ts highway robbery.