Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-14-2016, 02:19 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Synergy TT24
State: West Virginia
THOR #3433
Is this a gutless wonder?

We recently bought a Thor Synergy and in going through the PDI the technician couldn't figure out why there were no LED lights or a power switch in the housing for the King Jack antenna. I looked in the King website and the only info I can find is the installation manual that shows their SureLock Signal Meter and there is nothing to indicate that it is an option. The King installation video also shows the meter module so I'm at a loss as to what is going on. I did email the antenna manufacturer so maybe they can shed some light on the issue, and then I'll go to the RV dealer and to Thor. So my question is...has anyone seen this before because I haven't.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20160113_162437.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	1269

Thanks folks!

KC8RXQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 03:56 PM   #2

Brand: Crossroads
State: Ohio
THOR #424
Also where is the Coax cable from the antenna? It normally enters through the small hole in front of the directional control knob. Did they run it straight to the TV?
Old 01-14-2016, 05:47 PM   #3

THOR #3433
Hondavalk,
I looked on the roof and there is a coax snaking from the roof to what looks like a location above the closet area. I can only guess that it comes inside the wall to where the power supply (signal booster?) is located. We do get signals but how does one know what direction to turn the antenna without a signal meter?

I sent an email to my RV dealer and to Thor for more info. I did contact King and they replied that some RV manufacturer's do go the cheap route without the signal meter but that's really no excuse for being so cheap on an otherwise very nice rig. I could go on but I'm going to wait for a reply from Thor.
Old 01-14-2016, 05:57 PM   #4

THOR #3433
Hondavalk,
There is a roof mounted coax from the antenna base to a location just above the closet. Then it penetrates the roof. I can only assume that it runs inside the wall and connects to the power supply mounted on the wall. From that point I can't tell exactly where it goes but I will try to find out. There was no wiring or cabling diagram to go by and Thor didn't bother including the King Jack manual with the document package.

I did get a reply from King that indicated some RV manufacturer's go that cheap-and-dirty route (my words) but the only literature that came close to that application was for aftermarket retrofits, not for new installations.

I am waiting on a reply from my RV dealer who has been really good to work with. Now if Thor will do their part.

Regards
Old 01-14-2016, 08:02 PM   #5

Brand: Crossroads
State: Ohio
THOR #424
http://www.walmart.com/ip/King-Contr...inder/17037959

This should work for you
Old 01-15-2016, 01:19 AM   #6

THOR #3433
Thanks for the lead and I may end up going that route. I am still waiting to hear from the dealership to see if Thor will do anything to help. I'm not holding my breath but I may get surprised!
Old 06-04-2016, 01:53 PM   #7

Model: Four winds 35SF Super C
State: North Carolina
THOR #4425
we have a king digital antenna too---

We have a King also on the 2016 Four Winds....really nice, does not have a meter but the tv tells us the best picture! Amazing what channels it picks up and no more worries about lowering the antenna...I have not found it or looked to hard yet but i hear that in the back of one of the upper cabinets in a Thor us where the jack and the switch is.....supposedly hard to see unless you have a step stool..haha...we will be looking soon! this has helped us learn about their product.....

http://kingconnect.com/wp-content/up...Compressed.pdf
Old 11-03-2016, 06:11 AM   #8

Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowRun View Post
We have a King also on the 2016 Four Winds....really nice, does not have a meter but the tv tells us the best picture! Amazing what channels it picks up and no more worries about lowering the antenna...I have not found it or looked to hard yet but i hear that in the back of one of the upper cabinets in a Thor us where the jack and the switch is.....supposedly hard to see unless you have a step stool..haha...we will be looking soon! this has helped us learn about their product.....

http://kingconnect.com/wp-content/up...Compressed.pdf
I also have the King Jack set up with no guts (signal strength lights) on our '16 Axis. My question is that it seems like it only adjusts in one direction (straight towards the front of the coach or to the starboard side). Seems locked when I try to turn it to the left (port). Any suggestions? I took the know off to see if there was anything obvious and there wasn't.
Old 11-03-2016, 10:50 AM   #9

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Our Windsport has the King antenna and it seems to work well. Somewhere in your coach there is a coax outlet that has an antenna booster built in. The booster is a little button for on/off and a small green indicator light. On our coach the outlet is up in a cabinet with the button on the backside and hard to see and get to, real PIA!!! If you have a box to hook up a DVD to the outlet should be right by it.

I've tried turning the antenna for better reception but doesn't seem to make much difference, maybe a little. I leave the antenna pointed forward and don't even mess with it now.
Old 11-14-2016, 01:58 AM   #10

Brand: Still Looking
Model: SOB
State: South Dakota
THOR #3916
Yes there are 2 levels of Jack antenna installs.. The down and dirty way is that they use the non led one to save a few bucks, you can get the better one and re-install without having to re drill anything and using the existing tube thru the roof. Should be a simple "plug & play"
Thor Infinity
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 01:12 PM   #11

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #4366
Antenna on the roof, rotates ok. Cable goes through roof to unknown location. Booster in cabinet above the sink, green light turns on/off with button push. TV over door comes on but says no signal. Beyond that we aren't smart enough to make it work. Really don't care enough to pursue it any further. After all we are camping people not TV watchers.
Wrangler JK dinghy
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 01:39 PM   #12

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
I believe the reason that you do not see the 'amplifier signal' on your model is because you coach already has a built in amplifier(usually a button on a coax plate), so a duplication of the amplifier is not needed.
This is the base unit that manufacturers use versus the aftermarket 'retail' KingJack unit which includes the amplifier with led signal built into the handle itself.

I agree that the led indicator is nice, but rotating the antenna 180degrees after the initial channel scan will also give you an indication of the best direction. My led indicator no longer works, so I have to use this method, too - I find that the unit works so well that it's not a big difference which way you specifically point the unit. Mine mostly stays pointed forward.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 06:04 PM   #13

Model: Ace 29.4
State: North Carolina
THOR #5890
There are also apps that you can download on a smartphone that will give you the direction of strongest digital signals.

Garry
2017 Thor Ace 29.4
Old 11-14-2016, 07:13 PM   #14

Model: 16 Vegas 24.1 6 sp
State: Washington
THOR #3051
I have a App on my android called Digital TV Antennas. It gives you the direction and distance for each channel.
Old 11-14-2016, 08:19 PM   #15

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
Quote:
Originally Posted by hondavalk View Post
I never thought of that....might be helpful in aiming the antenna before doing a channel scan!

You have me wondering now..... someplace in my garage, I have an old dish signal meter sortof like that. Bought maybe 17 years ago back when i was using Dish. I wonder if that would work? (ahh, probably a different freq...)
Old 11-15-2016, 03:10 PM   #16
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjw887 View Post
I have a App on my android called Digital TV Antennas. It gives you the direction and distance for each channel.
Just downloaded that... looks good from here with directions - will try it out on our travels. Thanks!

Amazing what there is a app for... lol
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote