Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-24-2020, 01:03 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Michigan
THOR #18935
Need help with electrical issue

Hello,

I have borrowed a 2014 Freedom Elite 26t gasoline motor coach from a friend to transport my mother and ailing father cross country from Arizona to Michigan. We leave in a few days, however, after getting the RV back to my folks place and parking it for two days, I no longer can fire up the generator, or access the tank levels from the LED indicator panel. I feel like something was left on and we drained an unknown aux battery somewhere. I can turn on the engine and it fires up fine. I am now running it out in the driveway to hopefully recharge a battery I do not know about.

Any suggestions? ThankS!!!

This is a pic of the LED indicator that no longer lights up as well as the control panel with the generator start switch that does not fire the generator. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Old 05-24-2020, 01:08 AM   #2

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751

Could be a few things.....

The house batteries start the generator and not the chassis battery. It also provides power to that panel. It’s a good bet the house batteries got drained.

Did you leave the Use / Store switch in the “Use” position? If so, it could have drained the house batteries if you didn’t plug into shore power.

Does it have an Inverter? If so, it is wired directly to the house batteries. If it was left on, it could have drained the house batteries.
Old 05-24-2020, 01:11 AM   #3

THOR #18935
Unfortunately, I am uncertain as to any of the answers to your questions. I am very unfamiliar with this rig. The people we borrowed it from were inside it cleaning and testing everything prior to us taking it so it is possible that a switch or two were left on.

Where are the use/store switches on these typically located? Where do I look for the house batteries and inverter? Access panels on the exterior?

thanks for your response and patience in helping me figure this out!!!
Old 05-24-2020, 01:16 AM   #4

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
THOR #12751

I am not very familiar with this model but the house batteries are likely under the entry steps. You would see a latch on the top step.

The Use / Store Switch is typically next to the entry steps as well and had a red light. If you are not plugged into shore power, the red light will be on if it is in the “Use” position, which means the house batteries are supplying power to the coach.

See if you can find the house batteries and put a charger on them or get a 30A to 15A adapter and plug the coach into an outlet at home. This will let the house batteries charge.... if the Use / Store switch is in the “Use” position.
Old 05-24-2020, 01:21 AM   #5

THOR #18935
OK, I have located the use/store switch. I want to plug it in and have the switch in the USE position. Is that correct? This will recharge the house batteries, correct?
Old 05-24-2020, 01:31 AM   #6
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
How does someone lend something as complicated as a motor coach to someone else without giving them at least a critical item operational walkthrough?

Your house batteries are dead; why is not important now.
You probably don't have an inverter.
Unfortunately, your class C engine may not charge the house batteries.
The USE/STORE switch (battery disconnect switch) basically connects the house batteries to the DC loads: Control power for the fridge, furnace, water heater, and Air Conditioner, and lights in the living area. If you leave the coach not plugged into Shore Power (SP) for more than a couple hours it should be in STORE. Otherwise it should be in USE. It is usually near the entrance door along with switches for interior lights, outside light, and awning. When house batteries are charged you should hear it "clunk" when it changes position as the switch itself controls a remote relay.

So at this point get those house batteries charged either by plugging in the RV to SP or placing an external battery charger on the house batteries. Verify they are charging from SP by measuring the voltage at the batteries with a voltmeter if you can - they should read above 13.0 VDC when charging. It will take hours, up to a day, to charge them fully from being drained.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 01:40 AM   #7
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by mavens View Post
OK, I have located the use/store switch. I want to plug it in and have the switch in the USE position. Is that correct? This will recharge the house batteries, correct?
This is where it gets complicated. The switch controls a remote latching relay. It uses power from the house batteries to position the relay.

If the last position of the relay was in the USE position, the batteries are connected to the DC buss and charger and will charge if plugged into SP.

If the last position of the relay was in the STORE position and the batteries are too dead to move the relay to the USE position, the batteries will be separated from the DC buss and charger and will NOT charge.

This is why I recommended checking for charging voltage at the batteries with a voltmeter if possible.

BTW, I deleted your other duplicate thread. You'll get all the help you can handle with just a single thread.
Old 05-24-2020, 02:26 AM   #8

THOR #18935
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
How does someone lend something as complicated as a motor coach to someone else without giving them at least a critical item operational walkthrough?

Your house batteries are dead; why is not important now.
You probably don't have an inverter.
Unfortunately, your class C engine may not charge the house batteries.
The USE/STORE switch (battery disconnect switch) basically connects the house batteries to the DC loads: Control power for the fridge, furnace, water heater, and Air Conditioner, and lights in the living area. If you leave the coach not plugged into Shore Power (SP) for more than a couple hours it should be in STORE. Otherwise it should be in USE. It is usually near the entrance door along with switches for interior lights, outside light, and awning. When house batteries are charged you should hear it "clunk" when it changes position as the switch itself controls a remote relay.

So at this point get those house batteries charged either by plugging in the RV to SP or placing an external battery charger on the house batteries. Verify they are charging from SP by measuring the voltage at the batteries with a voltmeter if you can - they should read above 13.0 VDC when charging. It will take hours, up to a day, to charge them fully from being drained.

Long story short, this RV is actually owned by this persons father-in-law and he was not intimately familiar with all of the in's and out's of it.

I can't thank you enough for the insight. I will probably be good to go after following your advice. I REALLY appreciate it!!!!
Old 05-24-2020, 02:33 AM   #9

Model: Citation
State: Texas
THOR #8139
Quote:
Now that you have the switch in the use position do any lights work?
If you haven't called you friend, it's time... OH by the way don't worry you probably haven't broken it
When you operated the use/store switch did you hear a clunk?
Was the switch in use or store when you found it? If it was in store the battery may not be discharged.
Old 05-24-2020, 03:37 AM   #10
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by abjbrtd View Post
Now that you have the switch in the use position do any lights work?
If you haven't called you friend, it's time... OH by the way don't worry you probably haven't broken it
When you operated the use/store switch did you hear a clunk?
Was the switch in use or store when you found it? If it was in store the battery may not be discharged.
If he can't start the generator the house batteries are discharged. The generator starting current does not go through the latching relay.
Old 05-24-2020, 05:24 AM   #11

THOR #18935
I did not have time to do any more troubleshooting this evening, nor did I get it hooked up to AC to recharge the aux batteries that I was unaware of. I am going to do this in the morning.

I thank all of you profusely for helping me, a complete newby, on this. Such a relief to know this support system exists. I will be back tomorrow for more guidance.
Old 05-26-2020, 04:45 AM   #12

THOR #18935
Thank you to all who helped me on this topic. I have it all figured out now. All batteries are recharged and I have discovered the switch that drained them all to begin with. Thanks again, you guys are great.
Old 05-26-2020, 12:45 PM   #13
Site Team

THOR #7035
Glad to help.
Old 05-30-2020, 07:23 PM   #14

Model: Windsport 29M
State: Arkansas
THOR #7152
Jump start the gen

Quote:
Hello,

I have borrowed a 2014 Freedom Elite 26t gasoline motor coach from a friend to transport my mother and ailing father cross country from Arizona to Michigan. We leave in a few days, however, after getting the RV back to my folks place and parking it for two days, I no longer can fire up the generator, or access the tank levels from the LED indicator panel. I feel like something was left on and we drained an unknown aux battery somewhere. I can turn on the engine and it fires up fine. I am now running it out in the driveway to hopefully recharge a battery I do not know about.

Any suggestions? ThankS!!!

This is a pic of the LED indicator that no longer lights up as well as the control panel with the generator start switch that does not fire the generator. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Jump start the gen off your car and let it run, sounds like the house battery(s) are dead, most rigs have 1 battery for the engine and 2 somewhere in the rig for the house.