Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login

Old 11-28-2015, 08:44 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 27.1
State: California
THOR #3186
My ACE 27.1

With 3 160w solar panels. That's Casper in the background.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	175.7 KB
ID:	1105  

Old 12-01-2015, 02:51 AM   #2

State: Texas
THOR #1052
Great job, Did you use one of the existing roof penetrations or make a new one? Run the power cords under coach to front batteries?
Old 12-01-2015, 04:05 AM   #3

THOR #3186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwain65 View Post
Great job, Did you use one of the existing roof penetrations or make a new one? Run the power cords under coach to front batteries?
I ran the 8g solar, parallel, into the space above the TV cabinet in the rear, via a 1" hole I cut. Then into the rear closet, another 1" hole. There is a 120 outlet there, I went through next to it. From there I used copper splices to splice the 8g to 2g red and white wires. I was sure at that spot in the roof, right next to an aluminum brace that I would not negatively effect the structural integrity of the roof and possible existing wires, a clean shot I guess. I was sure of that spot and then sealed it with TPO caulk.

I then cut a 1.25 hole into the bottom of the rear closet into the water tank space. I ran exterior flexible blue solid plastic conduit from the sewage bay to the back of the hot water heater - furnace bay through 1.25" holes. Then the 2g wires from the solar controller to the 8g wires.

The inverter, fuse pull/disconnect and solar controller are all in the sewage bay. I used the same conduit to run 2g to the batteries a clear open shot across. I used 2/0 welding wire to hook the inverter up running in split automotive conduit, next to the solar conduit and a bunch of other existing wire. I ran the inverter 120v and external solar charge controller wire up into the existing hole for the furnace duct, under the bathroom counter through the large square cutout between that space and the electrical bay under the L shaped seat. Put a new transfer switch there along with a new sub. I get little to no detectable voltage loss with the 2g, think I bought two strands 35'.

Have seen 27+ amps going to the batteries. Theoretical is 27 too.
Old 12-04-2015, 02:50 AM   #4

Model: Windsport 27K
State: Kentucky
THOR #2817
I have a few questions.
How much does each panel weigh?
How much did it cost you for the PV system?
What are the 8g and 2g wires?
Old 12-04-2015, 03:47 AM   #5

THOR #3186
Panels I think we're about 45# each. Cost about 2k. 8g and 2g is the wire diameter with 2 being far bigger.
Old 12-04-2015, 12:46 PM   #6

Model: Windsport 27K
State: Kentucky
THOR #2817
That is quite an undertaking. Two gauge wire carries a lot of amperage, or did you use it primarily to reduce voltage drop? When you measured the 27 amps., was the sun at high noon?
Old 12-04-2015, 05:24 PM   #7

THOR #3186
I used it to reduce, eliminate voltage drop. Saw the amps during early afternoon.
Old 12-05-2015, 02:09 AM   #8

Model: Hurricane 27K
State: Nevada
THOR #970
27A system is alot of power. The coach comes with 1 house battery, did you order the extra or install an extra? If you have Harris brand they may likely fail early, and kill your non Harris if you added the extra battery. I have a couple Walmart batteries and a 100w panel from Home depot I set out. It kicks back about 5 amps, so does recharge well on sunny days, even get some TV time in..
Old 12-05-2015, 04:31 AM   #9

THOR #3186
The Harris battery was doa, replaced it with 2 Trojan J185H 6v 360 Ah deep cycle batteries. i have a 3,000 w inverter. The whole system is balanced. I can recharge amps used in 24 hours in 2 hours.
Old 12-05-2015, 03:38 PM   #10

Model: Hurricane 27K
State: Nevada
THOR #970
Excellent choice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest Grump View Post
The Harris battery was doa, replaced it with 2 Trojan J185H 6v 360 Ah deep cycle batteries. i have a 3,000 w inverter. The whole system is balanced. I can recharge amps used in 24 hours in 2 hours.