Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-20-2022, 09:33 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
My 2019 Newmar had the problem within 6 months of purchase. I was glad to see it as it was still under warranty. Newmar replaced the covers with a different material. It was still holding up well when we sold it last summer.

Old 11-20-2022, 10:20 PM   #22

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
Well, I don't care what you call it but the stuff Thor uses is crap. I seem to remember the salesman saying ultra leather and when I complained to the manufacturer last year, they told me they knew it was crap and to pound sand.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2022, 10:52 PM   #23

Model: Omni XG32 GONE for good
State: Alabama
THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwmcguir View Post
Certainly, no expert on all this except for bonded leather doesn't enter our homes as it doesn't last, and the Tuscany spec sheet says Ultra Leather

Never read any of the others spec sheets discussed here so I have nothing else to add
I had Ultraleather in my Itasca Horizon DP. Coach was a 2008, 75k mile on it when I sold it in 2020 and the furniture was in very good condition. Only real wearing spots was on the front seats piping. Other than that no wear, holes, cuts, and certainly no peeling. Tiffin who used to make pretty good coaches, used the bonded leather in the lower end Open Road back mid last decade. It failed just like the cheap stuff thor threw in. I seriously doubt they put it in a $700K Zephyr.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2022, 02:39 AM   #24

Model: Palazzo 36.1
State: Tennessee
THOR #11607
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
Ask and ye shall receive. I guess you guys can't make this stuff up.... unless you are all real good with photoshop.
I'm actually extremely good with photoshop (owned a photography company) but these are au natural. Lol

We had them covered with bed sheets for 3 months before upholstery shop could get them redone. Flaking crap was everywhere.
TripleGGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2022, 03:13 PM   #25

Model: challenger 37FH
State: Delaware
THOR #13399
It's many many RV makers not just Thor.
Old 11-21-2022, 04:36 PM   #26

State: Louisiana
THOR #26495
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrT View Post
My Thor 2017 29M Windsport driver and passenger seats are starting to show signs of wear. The imitation leather is peeling off. The motorhome has very low mileage and not abused. Is anyone having similar problems? Not sure what to do to fix this. Thinking maybe seat covers, but then they don’t always look so good.
I wouldn't call that "unusual wear". I would call that "usual wear". What WOULD be "unusual" would be if they weren't peeling, I'm sorry to say. They are using much better materials now at least.
Old 11-21-2022, 06:18 PM   #27
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank@theShop View Post
I wouldn't call that "unusual wear". I would call that "usual wear". What WOULD be "unusual" would be if they weren't peeling, I'm sorry to say. They are using much better materials now at least.
Did you read the Thread Title?
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2022, 07:24 PM   #28

THOR #26495
Haha, I did but took it to mean he was surprised by the wear.
Old 11-21-2022, 08:02 PM   #29
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
That was the case and the original title but the title was changed a couple of days ago to reflect reality.

Of course the OP has not been back to participate in his thread although he has been back to view the Forum.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2022, 03:27 AM   #30

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
If it helps, I can start a new thread about "Unusual Seat Wear" that I am having

There are actually a few things I am surprised about with the RV that I bought expecting the worse; but it never materialized. I think that is a benefit for being ac active member of this forum a full year before buying the RV. You may still be a novice, but you are well informed and prepared.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2022, 05:29 AM   #31

Model: AXIS 25.3
State: California
THOR #20631
Our 2018 Axis is so bad it looks like dandruff on our clothes when we get up. Will be replacing in the spring with better captain’s chairs. Is there any good fold out sofa? Grandkid #3 is on the way and I think my recliner option will be out voted for a place for the grandkids to sleep.
Wandering Woods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2022, 08:02 AM   #32

THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandering Woods View Post
Our 2018 Axis is so bad it looks like dandruff on our clothes when we get up. Will be replacing in the spring with better captain’s chairs. Is there any good fold out sofa? Grandkid #3 is on the way and I think my recliner option will be out voted for a place for the grandkids to sleep.
I recommend a residential type sofa bed. Check Lazyboy for example. Just make sure the backs come off for ease in getting in the door. It will be better quality and less $$$.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
Old 11-22-2022, 02:11 PM   #33

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunker21 View Post
I recommend a residential type sofa bed. Check Lazyboy for example. Just make sure the backs come off for ease in getting in the door. It will be better quality and less $$$.

How do you attach it to the floor?
Old 11-22-2022, 04:14 PM   #34

THOR #26495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
This is my concern too with residential grade furniture. RV specific furniture usually have a sturdy metal frame that is designed to be bolted down. It is designed to stay put in the event of a traffic accident if properly bolted down. Residential furniture framing is often wood and even if bolted down will come apart in an accident. If going in a towable, then I would say by all means. However, if going in a driveable, then I would stay away from residential grade furniture.
Old 11-22-2022, 04:43 PM   #35

THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
That would depend on what the base looked like. In a previous 5th wheel I put in swivel rocker recliners with a round tubular hoop metal base. I used "J" clips looped over the base hoop, and screwed them to the floor. Eventually I quit doing that because they never went anywhere and it was a towable. Using a little investigation and ingenuity on mounting them you can have far superior furniture in the RV. Superior in sitting/sleeping comfort and superior in durability.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
Old 11-23-2022, 02:25 AM   #36

Model: AXIS 25.3
State: California
THOR #20631
We have a 25.3 and the sofa doesn’t slide out. Unfortunately I don’t think there is room for a residential sofa.
Wandering Woods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 07:17 PM   #37

Model: chateau 23U
THOR #1241
Yep, I "upgraded" too!

After three years, my dinette stated showing the same sever dermatological issue, too. I ended up recovering it with good material for $1k. Looks great and I've outgrown my anger (almost)!

The fabric only has to last until the warranty expires!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrT View Post
My Thor 2017 29M Windsport driver and passenger seats are starting to show signs of wear. The imitation leather is peeling off. The motorhome has very low mileage and not abused. Is anyone having similar problems? Not sure what to do to fix this. Thinking maybe seat covers, but then they don’t always look so good.
Old 11-26-2022, 07:59 PM   #38

THOR #18440
Had to replace

I have a 2017 Thor Gemini. The jack knife sofa is made out of that faux leather garbage. Called the company and was told that material only has a longevity of 2 years. Why would Thor use this garbage? They probably got a deal on the faux garbage just like the garbage exterior paint they use!!!
These small improvements could make them a top notch RV manufacturer, but I guess money is more important than reputation!
Old 11-26-2022, 08:16 PM   #39

THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfd419 View Post
I have a 2017 Thor Gemini. The jack knife sofa is made out of that faux leather garbage. Called the company and was told that material only has a longevity of 2 years. Why would Thor use this garbage? They probably got a deal on the faux garbage just like the garbage exterior paint they use!!!
These small improvements could make them a top notch RV manufacturer, but I guess money is more important than reputation!
I'm so tempted to comment but I'll just hold my tongue/keyboard.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
Old 11-26-2022, 08:40 PM   #40

Model: Vegas 25.5
THOR #12686
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfd419 View Post
It's not a Thor issue...it's an RV issue. Watch RV youtube videos and you will see folks that own every brand and so many are half a million $$$ and still have the same furniture that is in Thor products. and they all peel.
pavemike is offline   Reply With Quote