Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login

Old 01-28-2019, 07:00 PM   #81

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: Colorado
THOR #6975
I have just used the discount with five start tuning and it works great no problems at all thank y’all for the information looking forward to the tuner

Old 01-28-2019, 07:09 PM   #82

State: Florida
THOR #1249
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmtech16450yz View Post
I got a story for you guys about interior noise and ears. lol.

Many many years ago when I was working in an Olds dealership, I was given a car that the owner had been complaining about wind noise. He'd had it in several times over the last month and several techs had a swing at finding and fixing it, but couldn't. I told my boss, I can most likely fix it, but I need the customer so we can go for a ride.

Customer shows up, he's a guy probably 60 or 70. (no offense to the community here. haha.) I have him drive first. He tries to pinpoint where he hears the wind noise and says it seems to be coming from the drivers side. I can't hear a thing, the car seems really quiet to me. (21 year old ears at the time.) I have him pull over so I can drive and try to hear what he's hearing. I still don't hear a thing, but surprisingly, he says it sounds really loud on the passenger side too.

I think about all those clues, toss them around in my head and then decide I need to really LOOK at this guy. I look over at him and sure enough, he has a hearing aid in his left ear. I'm thinking "Oh cr@p, how am I politely and delicately going to pull this off?!!!" So I ask him if he has a hearing aid in his other ear, he says yes. I ask him how long he's had them, he says "Oh, I guess about a month or so". A giant feeling of accomplishment comes over me, but I still need to carefully let him know what I'm thinking.

So I delicately and in a humorous way broach the idea of his hearing aids picking up noises that he hasn't heard in years, and maybe even noises that it shouldn't be amplifying. (1980's hearing aid technology wasn't very good.) He laughed as the light went off in HIS head. "Well I'll be damned! I think you're right! I'm hearing things like the swishing of my pants rubbing together as I walk even!" We had a good talk on the way back to the shop and we both felt like we "fixed" the problem. He came in many times after that and always asked for me to be the ONLY person that touched his car. lol.
Great story GMtech. I would do the same as that guy also since you don't rely only on the computer to solve problems. In fact, if you are working on Ford stuff now, I usually drive thru CA in the winter and I was wondering ......................just kidding.
Old 01-28-2019, 07:23 PM   #83

Model: Vegas 27.7
State: California
THOR #10907
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcr1010 View Post
Great story GMtech. I would do the same as that guy also since you don't rely only on the computer to solve problems. In fact, if you are working on Ford stuff now, I usually drive thru CA in the winter and I was wondering ......................just kidding.
Lol. Yeah my Uncle just bought a new Class C/ Ford V10 and my cousin (his son) told me his first overnight trip in the new coach is going to be to my driveway to have me install all the suspension parts I said he'd need. haha. I honestly was thinking about trying to help you guys out myself on the tuning thing since 5 Star hasn't seemed to want to help yet. I very very rarely tune for private parties though, my tuning work is almost all race teams or off-road/no smog situations. I'm really hoping Chris from 5 Star steps up though.

(Not to change the subject, but he took the RV on a 800 mile round trip for it's first time out. He didn't have time to do all the suspension stuff and honestly wasn't sure he'd need it. My uncle called me mid-trip and said it was like driving a semi with flat tires and my cousin said he almost got sick riding in the back it was swaying and riding so badly! He'll be doing all the suspension stuff and changing the cr@p undersized tires before their next trip!)

httphttps://youtu.be/2q9BuzNRc3Q
gmtech16450yz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 12:57 AM   #84

Model: 2016 Thor Outlaw 29H
State: Tennessee
THOR #13869
Quote:
I honestly was thinking about trying to help you guys out myself on the tuning thing since 5 Star hasn't seemed to want to help yet. I very very rarely tune for private parties though, my tuning work is almost all race teams or off-road/no smog situations. I'm really hoping Chris from 5 Star steps up though.
Well sir, 5 Star already did, if you tell them you want the discount from iRV2, you get 20% off with free shipping.
I am a member on there, (iRV2), but he did not even ask me to verify.
On its way to me now.

halfprice posted a link on the previous page of this thread, it worked and is still valid!
Thanks y'all!
Old 01-29-2019, 01:09 AM   #85

Model: 2016 Thor Outlaw 29H
State: Tennessee
THOR #13869
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBreeze View Post
I went to order this and an error occurred saying No Shipping Methods Available.

Let me know if you somehow get through.
My iPad experienced the same problem, so I telephoned them, he handled the sale over the phone.
I told him I wanted the iRV2 price of $439.95, asked if it was still in affect, he said yes.
Then he took all my info over the phone.

Me having more questions, basically he said there was no time limit, if you needed it tweaked a little different than how it is programmed.
They realize the RV is not an everyday driving thing.
They can tweak the speedometer read out too.
I said I may upgrade and upsize the tires, and it may take a year before I do that, no problem and to just get a hold of them if something is needed.
Old 01-30-2019, 03:54 PM   #86
RV Industry Member

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Forest River
State: South Carolina
THOR #14328
Quote:
I just called 5 Star again to talk to Chris and find out what happened on him saying he'd set something up here for you guys. Got his voicemail... hmmm.
Apologies on the delay, been ill and not on my normal game. As promised, I have a group buy link below that will offer a direct discount (no coupon code required). The tuners will ship free to the US and Canada. All US orders will ship FedEx 2-day and Canada orders will ship priority postal service to minimize duties and taxes.

The link below also features information on our product and MotorHome Magazine article. If anyone has any questions on the units feel free to reach out anytime and I would be happy to answer any questions about the units and tune.

https://5startuning.com/product/thor/
Old 02-02-2019, 12:31 AM   #87

Model: Vegas 27.7
State: California
THOR #14024
Ultra Power tuner

Just a note, I talked to the UltraPower tuning people who make a competitive product to the 5-star, even uses same hardware device but different programming. I wrote a report as a new thread in the forum. They confirmed that the 2 valve engines typically get 43 more horsepower and 47 ft. lbs. more torque. Also, with respect to fuel, their device acts as an engine diagnostic device in real time and they recommend mounting it as a display, for those whose have the acumen to utilize the info (that's not me). I like the fact they make a custom patch for you and will work with you.
Old 02-02-2019, 02:23 AM   #88

State: Texas
THOR #13370
I found the link for 5 Star too - had trouble with the link taking info (got locked on the address portion) so called and ordered on the phone and got the discount. It arrived yesterday
and I installed it no problem (read the instructions and followed the prompts).
Next good weather day I plan on taking it for a test run - also installed the Bilstein shocks so want to see how they are. It had the Silver Safe Steering stabilizer already and seemed stable when I took it on a 1000 mile round trip trial but if I can find something to make things better I like to try them.
I appreciate all the info available on this site - thanks!
Old 02-02-2019, 05:34 AM   #89

Model: Chateau 31L
State: Florida
THOR #12189
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5star View Post
Apologies on the delay, been ill and not on my normal game. As promised, I have a group buy link below that will offer a direct discount (no coupon code required). The tuners will ship free to the US and Canada. All US orders will ship FedEx 2-day and Canada orders will ship priority postal service to minimize duties and taxes.

The link below also features information on our product and MotorHome Magazine article. If anyone has any questions on the units feel free to reach out anytime and I would be happy to answer any questions about the units and tune.

https://5startuning.com/product/thor/
Ok 5Star, except the IRV2 folks got it for $40 bucks less. Why?
https://5startuning.com/product/irv2/

Ford IRV2 Group Buy with The 5 Star Tune

$439.95

Rated 5.00 out of 5 based on 2 customer ratings
(2 customer reviews)
Old 12-04-2020, 11:41 PM   #90

State: Alberta
THOR #21425
Quote:
Early ones did. Late ones do not have knock sensors.
Just FYI..
I am running a 2015 Thor ACE chassis (2016 MH)
And according to VCM editor, I do indeed have 2 knock sensors with the cylinders mapped.

It may be a 2016 change (along with transmission) to eliminate the sensors or it may be a Canadian model specific thing that the 2015 has them
I haven't physically confirmed, but according to the .hpt file they are there.

Some weird mapping on the 1st cylinder...different sensor from other v10 tables I have seen
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	knock.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	27501  
Old 12-05-2020, 12:37 AM   #91

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdharrington View Post
Just FYI..
I am running a 2015 Thor ACE chassis (2016 MH)
And according to VCM editor, I do indeed have 2 knock sensors with the cylinders mapped.

It may be a 2016 change (along with transmission) to eliminate the sensors or it may be a Canadian model specific thing that the 2015 has them
I haven't physically confirmed, but according to the .hpt file they are there.

Some weird mapping on the 1st cylinder...different sensor from other v10 tables I have seen
The computer has the knock sensor tables and the program for the distributor advance includes input for the knock sensor table but in my V-10 there are no knock sensors installed in the valley. The bungs are there but not drilled and tapped.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 02:52 AM   #92

State: Alberta
THOR #21425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
The computer has the knock sensor tables and the program for the distributor advance includes input for the knock sensor table but in my V-10 there are no knock sensors installed in the valley. The bungs are there but not drilled and tapped.
Hmmm that’s not good.
Does the computer show 2 installed as well like mine?
The tables may be there just included in the standard copperhead ecu tables....as I have tables for variable camshaft (which isn’t on this engine) but it does show 2 installed when many others show zero on other v10 files I’ve seen

Either way, I’ll have to check physically to be sure on mine.

Tags
5 star tune, ford v10, gas mileage, mpg, tuning