Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login

Old 01-26-2019, 04:38 PM   #61

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Quote:
Originally Posted by axis earl View Post
I am pretty sure that if you have the F53 chassis, you have the 3 valve engine. The E350 and E450 have the two valve. 320 hp vs 305 hp.
This is correct.

2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 05:13 PM   #62

Model: Freedom Elite 30FE
THOR #12827
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long & Winding road View Post
GM Tech, we talked a little about sound deading on page one of this thread. I have used several layers and diff types of sound deadening (with great results) but Im always looking for just a little more.

From my reading about the only thing left to try is to use some sort of rubber sheets (like 1/8 inch thick). You mentioned "mass loaded rubber". Does that come in rolls or was that a thick matt? What brand did you use? Does it have an odor?

My wife is very sensitive to odors... this is why I held off on any rubber products on the inside of the RV. I did purchase some spray boom matt last year but have not used any yet. I figured I would spray under the RV (esp the fender wells).

I already have 2 to 4 layer diff types of dynomat/fat mat stuff everywhere you can get to under and inside the cabin/hood/dog house areas.
Regarding Mass Loaded Vinyl for sound deadening, the stuff works quite well if installed properly.
I’ve not used it on an RV, but I did use it to help sound proof a generator shed I built in mt back yard.
The stuff comes in rolls of various thickness. It is very HEAVY. it’s not meant to be installed on a rigid surface because is supposed to “ flex” when sound waves hit it. The kind I used did not have a significant odor.
Here is a website that gives a fairly simple explanation on how mass loaded vinyl is supposed to work.
https://acousticalsolutions.com/mass...t-uses-for-it/
IMO, the weight of the stuff is the biggest reason NOT to use it in large quantities on and RV. Oh, in addition, it’s kinda pricey.
LandKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 05:30 PM   #63

THOR #12231
Quote:
Originally Posted by LandKO View Post
Regarding Mass Loaded Vinyl for sound deadening, the stuff works quite well if installed properly.
I’ve not used it on an RV, but I did use it to help sound proof a generator shed I built in mt back yard.
The stuff comes in rolls of various thickness. It is very HEAVY. it’s not meant to be installed on a rigid surface because is supposed to “ flex” when sound waves hit it. The kind I used did not have a significant odor.
Here is a website that gives a fairly simple explanation on how mass loaded vinyl is supposed to work.
https://acousticalsolutions.com/mass...t-uses-for-it/
IMO, the weight of the stuff is the biggest reason NOT to use it in large quantities on and RV. Oh, in addition, it’s kinda pricey.
Ok, thanks.... I been reasearching this for the last week or so. I might use a little round the dash area to see how it helps but I havent decided yet.

I have several layers already so my RV is much quieter than stock. But I always keep my eye peeled for something new to add to it.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Old 01-26-2019, 05:50 PM   #64
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
It's pretty easy to "quiet things down"...

Just don't clean the wax out of your ears!

Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 06:15 PM   #65

THOR #12231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
It's pretty easy to "quiet things down"...

Just don't clean the wax out of your ears!

I will let you test that therory first Bob. We want a full written report in 30 days with pictures (gross). LOL.
Old 01-26-2019, 06:33 PM   #66

Model: Vegas 27.7
State: California
THOR #10907
I got a story for you guys about interior noise and ears. lol.

Many many years ago when I was working in an Olds dealership, I was given a car that the owner had been complaining about wind noise. He'd had it in several times over the last month and several techs had a swing at finding and fixing it, but couldn't. I told my boss, I can most likely fix it, but I need the customer so we can go for a ride.

Customer shows up, he's a guy probably 60 or 70. (no offense to the community here. haha.) I have him drive first. He tries to pinpoint where he hears the wind noise and says it seems to be coming from the drivers side. I can't hear a thing, the car seems really quiet to me. (21 year old ears at the time.) I have him pull over so I can drive and try to hear what he's hearing. I still don't hear a thing, but surprisingly, he says it sounds really loud on the passenger side too.

I think about all those clues, toss them around in my head and then decide I need to really LOOK at this guy. I look over at him and sure enough, he has a hearing aid in his left ear. I'm thinking "Oh cr@p, how am I politely and delicately going to pull this off?!!!" So I ask him if he has a hearing aid in his other ear, he says yes. I ask him how long he's had them, he says "Oh, I guess about a month or so". A giant feeling of accomplishment comes over me, but I still need to carefully let him know what I'm thinking.

So I delicately and in a humorous way broach the idea of his hearing aids picking up noises that he hasn't heard in years, and maybe even noises that it shouldn't be amplifying. (1980's hearing aid technology wasn't very good.) He laughed as the light went off in HIS head. "Well I'll be damned! I think you're right! I'm hearing things like the swishing of my pants rubbing together as I walk even!" We had a good talk on the way back to the shop and we both felt like we "fixed" the problem. He came in many times after that and always asked for me to be the ONLY person that touched his car. lol.

httphttps://youtu.be/2q9BuzNRc3Q
gmtech16450yz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 06:36 PM   #67
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860

If I let it go long enough: I have to crank the stereo up to "speaker popping" levels, while listening to "Zombie Stomp": in order to get it loosened up enough to scrape it out with a trowel...
Pictures are not suggested...

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/att...1&d=1548527757
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Horrified.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	15341  
Old 01-26-2019, 06:40 PM   #68
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmtech16450yz View Post
I think about all those clues, toss them around in my head and then decide I need to really LOOK at this guy. I look over at him and sure enough, he has a hearing aid in his left ear. I'm thinking "Oh cr@p, how am I politely and delicately going to pull this off?!!!" So I ask him if he has a hearing aid in his other ear, he says yes. I ask him how long he's had them, he says "Oh, I guess about a month or so". A giant feeling of accomplishment comes over me, but I still need to carefully let him know what I'm thinking.

So I delicately and in a humorous way broach the idea of his hearing aids picking up noises that he hasn't heard in years, and maybe even noises that it shouldn't be amplifying. (1980's hearing aid technology wasn't very good.) He laughed as the light went off in HIS head. "Well I'll be damned! I think you're right! I'm hearing things like the swishing of my pants rubbing together as I walk even!" We had a good talk on the way back to the shop and we both felt like we "fixed" the problem. He came in many times after that and always asked for me to be the ONLY person that touched his car. lol.
BRAVO!!!

They can't teach that in school!
Old 01-26-2019, 08:15 PM   #69

Model: RC25
State: Florida
THOR #11860
Late to this Party But...

Friend had a problem with ford drive train blowing transmission fluid out the pressure relief valve, Ford replace the torque converter, happen again, guy threw a fit with Ford and wanted a new tranny, Ford read the engine info and said he had been towing and did not have the "tow haul" mode engaged, guy said its only a 2 door corolla no need for tow haul mode, FORD SAID "warranty voided", just a heads up, Ford is tough on warranty claims that are costly.
Old 01-26-2019, 08:53 PM   #70
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
I hate to say it: pay attention to the warranty's fine print...
Old 01-27-2019, 12:52 AM   #71

THOR #10907
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdoughe963 View Post
Friend had a problem with ford drive train blowing transmission fluid out the pressure relief valve, Ford replace the torque converter, happen again, guy threw a fit with Ford and wanted a new tranny, Ford read the engine info and said he had been towing and did not have the "tow haul" mode engaged, guy said its only a 2 door corolla no need for tow haul mode, FORD SAID "warranty voided", just a heads up, Ford is tough on warranty claims that are costly.
I hate to say it but this situation most likely had NOTHING to do with Ford and everything to do with your friend and the service manager or dealership staff.

My quote from my post #30 in this thread...

Quote:
Again the flipside is if you walk in demanding a free transmission be installed that afternoon, chances are they'll tell you to jump in a lake.

And many lolz to what they told him about being able to "read" that he had been towing and didn't have the tow-haul mode engaged. haha. I could tell you a few dozen equally ridiculous stories that I've heard service managers or service writers tell customers.

BTW, what did your friend end up doing?

Old 01-27-2019, 01:13 AM   #72

Model: FW Hurricane 30Q
THOR #1044
You know that the V10 actually has two knock sensors? One on each bank as far back at 1999
Old 01-27-2019, 01:17 AM   #73

THOR #10907
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichyFL View Post
You know that the V10 actually has two knock sensors? One on each bank as far back at 1999
Early ones did. Late ones do not have knock sensors.

Old 01-27-2019, 02:35 AM   #74

State: Texas
THOR #13370
I have enjoyed reading this thread and thank you gmtech for all your information.
I also liked your rebuild link - most excellent! Based on this I am looking at getting the 5 star tune sometime in the near future - will wait a bit for a possible deal. I have the 2015 Thor Axis 25.1 and think the improved shifting would be a big plus. Not too concerned about mileage because my toy is a 65 Kirkham Shelby Cobra 427 S/C with a date coded '65 427 side oiler - 500 hp & torque to move 2200 lbs. Get about 8 - 9mpg, same as my RV, but it is little faster.
I am happy with how the RV is as is but enjoy trying to make it just a little bit better.

Thanks again!
Old 01-27-2019, 04:01 AM   #75

Model: 2016 Thor Outlaw 29H
State: Tennessee
THOR #13869
halfprice mentions a link for a group discount for the 5 Star tune he found on irv2.com.
Thanks for sharing your find.
So I opened it and it is offered to my cart for $439.00 vs the $559.00 as I first saw it.
I am contacting them after the weekend to get mine, if so!

Oh yes, nice entertaining story on the hearing aids gmtech, I enjoyed it!
Old 01-27-2019, 04:14 AM   #76

THOR #10907
Quote:
Originally Posted by flipper003 View Post
I have enjoyed reading this thread and thank you gmtech for all your information.
I also liked your rebuild link - most excellent! Based on this I am looking at getting the 5 star tune sometime in the near future - will wait a bit for a possible deal. I have the 2015 Thor Axis 25.1 and think the improved shifting would be a big plus. Not too concerned about mileage because my toy is a 65 Kirkham Shelby Cobra 427 S/C with a date coded '65 427 side oiler - 500 hp & torque to move 2200 lbs. Get about 8 - 9mpg, same as my RV, but it is little faster.
I am happy with how the RV is as is but enjoy trying to make it just a little bit better.

Thanks again!
Nice! That Sky was my "Cobra". When we first married, my wife and I had a deal that since I worked and paid the bills while she was getting her degree and nursing license that she'd buy me a Cobra kit when she started working. We almost bought a beautiful finished car, an ERA kit with a 427 side oiler and jag rear end, built to show quality. The guy was selling it for $36k in '84 or so. We passed on that car, which I don't regret because it just wasn't the right thing for us to do at the time.

I never did get my Cobra, but again, I have no regrets because for us that decision and others meant we could get by on just my income and she could stay home and raise our kids with NO daycare. She's since paid me back 10 times over about that deal we made, plus giving us two amazing adult children. She was the one that really pushed me to quit my job that had turned crappy and to not get another one. We've been living on her salary alone for 2 years now and I just get to "play"! Cobra's are pretty cool though, and you have one of the best.

Old 01-28-2019, 07:57 AM   #77

THOR #10342
Tuning vs Exhaust

What’s your thoughts on exhaust modifications, like a Banks system vs engine tuning.
Old 01-28-2019, 03:23 PM   #78

Model: Chateau 31L
THOR #12189
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scDust View Post
halfprice mentions a link for a group discount for the 5 Star tune he found on irv2.com.
Thanks for sharing your find.
So I opened it and it is offered to my cart for $439.00 vs the $559.00 as I first saw it.
I am contacting them after the weekend to get mine, if so!

Oh yes, nice entertaining story on the hearing aids gmtech, I enjoyed it!
I went to order this and an error occurred saying No Shipping Methods Available.

Let me know if you somehow get through.
Old 01-28-2019, 06:30 PM   #79

THOR #10907
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgbram View Post
What’s your thoughts on exhaust modifications, like a Banks system vs engine tuning.
Again, another EXCELLENT question! Short answer is proper tuning makes 10 times the difference any exhaust mods would.

Funny you should ask this too, since I spent the last few days modifying the exhaust on my Vegas. My goals were NOT power though. My main goal was to move the exhaust from the right side exit to the left. Too many times when leaving the door open while letting the engine warm up and picking up leveling blocks, securing rig for travel, etc, I would get in the coach and it would smell like exhaust inside. Hard for it not to when the exhaust exits about 5 feet from the door! I also wanted to have the exhaust exit in front of the rear axle, eliminating the added hardware going past the airbags, suspension, etc.

What I ended up doing worked out really sweet, I'm re-using the stock pipe and bends to go over the driveshaft and out the left side. I've ended up cutting about 5 feet of pipe out of the system, and it's much cleaner and better supported. The sound is a titch louder, which is fine since these stock systems are super quiet.

There are two big issues with changing exhaust on these V10's. First is they sound horrible when you can actually hear them! The second is the rpm range where these engines run in this application is 90% of the time between 2k-2.5k. You don't need a very big exhaust system for that rpm, and going bigger on pipe diameter/headpipe diameters can actually hurt power. Not because of the "engines need backpressure" myth, which is total bs btw, it's because you lose scavenging and you also lose exhaust gas temperature. Let the exhaust hang around in huge pipes too long and it will cool and be much harder to push out the entire system. The ideal exhaust is one that keeps the flow/scavenging moving and keeps the gasses hot all the way to the end. The stock Ford V10 exhaust does a decent job of doing that, at least at the rpm's we run at most of the time. Will headers and a huge freeflowing exhaust result in more high rpm power? Usually. But unless you're running your motorhome WOT at 5k rpm all day, it's a compromise that isn't worth the cost and losses elsewhere in the power range.

Proper tuning on the other hand can result in power and efficiency gains EVERYWHERE in the load/rpm range. There are no losses in optimizing engine calibrations. There can be noticeable losses in changing exhaust systems.

Old 01-28-2019, 06:37 PM   #80

THOR #10907
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBreeze View Post
I went to order this and an error occurred saying No Shipping Methods Available.

Let me know if you somehow get through.

I just called 5 Star again to talk to Chris and find out what happened on him saying he'd set something up here for you guys. Got his voicemail... hmmm.

Tags
5 star tune, ford v10, gas mileage, mpg, tuning