Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-29-2015, 01:41 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Arizona
THOR #1670
Vegas 12V Problem

My 12V system works when motor is running, hooked up to shore power or when the generator is running. When the motor is running and I turn off the key, the lights stay on for about 15 seconds and then turn off, almost like courtesy lights. I Think the disconnect switch may be the problem but when it all worked before if the disconnect switch was off I did not have the turn signal and rearview camera working while the engine was running, It is now working while the engine is running.

Old 03-29-2015, 11:21 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Model: 2011 Four Winds 28Z
State: Michigan
THOR #531
Didn't you verify you had a coach battery problem from another thread?

The cameras are likely connected to the coach battery. Prior to around 2013, Thor connected the stereo system to the engine battery, but in later years, started connecting them to the coach battery.

So assuming the cameras are connected like the stereo, if they work with the disconnect switch in the ON position, that means they are probably getting power from the engine alternator with the engine running - as in many Thor coaches, the engine alternator charges the coach battery.

You may have a bad coach battery.
Old 03-29-2015, 06:52 PM   #3

Model: Axis 25.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #1503
Check the voltage in your house battery (s) located under the step.

Also, do you hear the solenoid operate when you select the "Store" or Use" position on the battery switch.

Your turn/backup cameras should only work when the ignition key is on.

Bruce
Old 03-29-2015, 08:07 PM   #4

THOR #1670
Both the house and starter batteries are fully charged at this point. I do not hear the click when when the disconnect switch is pressed on or off. It is still under warranty, so I guess I will take it to service center to get it resolved
Old 03-29-2015, 08:58 PM   #5

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
Vegas 12v problem

I had a similar problem last summer. It turns out that there is a manual breaker that protects the 12v system and disconnects it from the coach. It is located to the left of both coach batteries (under the step) in the Vegas 24.1. It is located inside or behind the metal piece on the left hand battery wall where the red wire that connects the batteries to the coach is attached. It cost me $100 taking it to an RV dealer to find this out. It is not in any manual that I could find. The tech told me that the breaker flipped down and all you had to do was manually push it back up into the box.. It has worked fine ever since.

Hope this solves your problem...
Old 03-29-2015, 09:14 PM   #6

Model: Axis 25.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #1503
This must be the breaker:

The red stuff is corrosion protection that Thor sprays on it.

Bruce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneilkeys View Post
It turns out that there is a manual breaker that protects the 12v system and disconnects it from the coach. It is located to the left of both coach batteries (under the step) in the Vegas 24.1.
Old 03-29-2015, 09:45 PM   #7

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
Mine looks alittle different, there is no easy red button, but that is the beast.
Old 03-29-2015, 10:27 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Model: 2011 Four Winds 28Z
State: Michigan
THOR #531
Eureka! Thanks for the photo.

That must be what is behind the side of my battery. Just the other day, I noticed there was battery cables going to something behind the battery, and I was not sure what it was as there is no way I can get to it without taking the battery out, and it has been too cold to investigate further.

Those are familiar to me as they come from the boating world. It looks like a Blue Sea series 285. I just bought one to put on the hydraulic lift circuit as they put in an auto-reset breaker, which while it will protect the circuit, will not allow you to disconnect it (you push in the red part to trip it).

I am going to re-wire the battery box area this year. I am going to replace the batteries, and I want to clean up the entire Rube Goldberg mess.

I am thinking of installing one of these hatches to the outside of the coach:

I want to put both the disconnect for the hydraulic lifters in there, as well as the one Thor put behind the battery, if indeed that is what it is. And if I have room, perhaps a solar battery charger plug.

But if I go this route, I need to make sure the existing cables will be long enough as I really don't want to run new cables. And I will probably have to buy thru-mount versions of the breakers as the existing ones are surface mount. And at $40 bucks per breaker, they ain't cheap.
Old 03-31-2015, 02:24 AM   #9

THOR #1670
This would explain all my problems if this breaker has tripped. Unfortunately it looks like it was installed upside down. I am going to have to get someone to crawl under the rv and see if it is reachable from below, or wait until I can remove the house batteries. I cannot get my hand in position to feel for the switch and I currently have a broken leg. Where is my nephew?
Old 04-04-2015, 06:43 PM   #10

THOR #1670
Thanks to everyone, especially those who pointed out that circuit breaker in the battery box, had my nephew come over, got his hand in there and reset the breaker, everything works now. Ready for my first trip of the year.
Old 04-05-2015, 12:13 AM   #11

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Georgia
THOR #1123
Nephews can really come in "handy", can't they? .

Glad to hear you got your problem solved. Enjoy that trip!