Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login

Old 08-22-2018, 11:09 AM   #1

Brand: Jayco
Model: Entegra Vision 31V
State: Florida
THOR #12040
Unhappy Vegas 24.1 Driveshaft

About 3 miles from our destination we started to hear a "shaking" from under the MH. After arriving safely and setting up at the campground, I crawled under and discovered that the driveshaft center bearing was loose. One of the bolts was missing and the other one was only hand tight. Our Vegas is new with less than 600 miles on it. Must have never been tightened at the factory. We were lucky not to be stranded along the highway and I can't even imagine what could have happened if the driveshaft would have come off while traveling. I was able to get a replacement nut and bolt from the maintenance department at the Yogi campground where we are staying. They even lent me the tools that I needed to complete the repair. Just one more possible item that needs to be checked on your new MH.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Driveshaft center bearing.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	12374  

Old 08-22-2018, 12:25 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Wow, good think you didnt loose the other bolt while while going 65+ mph!

I will have to check mine this weekend. Thanks for the info.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 12:36 PM   #3
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
A while ago something similar happened to someone on here (I think their driveshaft locked up). Let me see if I can find the thread...
Nope can't find it..my searching fu has failed me this morning.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 01:31 PM   #4

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
If it were mine, I’d replace both bolts with proper grade (replacement may have been high quality ????), and make sure it was torqued down to proper specifications. Driving any distance at all with it hanging off one bolt like in picture could have compromised that one bolt. It’s unlikely it will fail, but I wouldn’t take the risk. Specs may also require some type of Loctite or similar product because of inherent vibration.

This is another reason it would be nice to see a compact Axis/Vegas built on longer Ford wheelbase instead of having to stretch it, which required driveshaft modifications. I’d trust Ford quality a bit more.