Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-11-2018, 02:58 PM   #21

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyCreek View Post
I find it odd that this thread has many handling enhancement references but not one that actually "fixes" wag (that some call sway). ....cut....
A lot of posts seem to use terms interchangeably, but I expect most use "sway" as meaning roll, or side-to-side movement; or leaning on turns or in cross winds.

Comparing bump stops to Sumo springs is odd also since they have such different purposes. Granted, Sumos are sometimes bolted in place of bump stops for ease of installation, but the two are functionally very different by design.

Old 03-11-2018, 04:42 PM   #22

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.2
State: Idaho
THOR #1944
Sumo or Timbren provide the purpose of a bumpstop plus utilize the space to also provide increased spring rate. Not the "best" remedy for increased spring rate of course, but they're cheap!

As a side benefit ... get it "side" lol ... the more engaged a Sumo/Timbren is, the more play dampening they provide. This dampening can help tame bushing play or spring flex. Again, not the best band-aid for these conditions though they do work to help reduce those factors.
Old 03-11-2018, 05:07 PM   #23

Model: Axis 25.4
State: California
THOR #6582
Quote:
...snip...

As a side benefit ... get it "side" lol ... the more engaged a Sumo/Timbren is, the more play dampening they provide. This dampening can help tame bushing play or spring flex. Again, not the best band-aid for these conditions though they do work to help reduce those factors.
Then it's best to use the spacer provided for the rears to fully engage them? I couldn't determine if it would make the ride too stiff.
Hellwig sway bars F&R, 235/85 Hankook ATM, alignment...HUGE!!!
Battery watering, 260watts Solar and BigFeets to make life easier.
gnach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 05:54 PM   #24

Model: Miramar 34.4
State: Iowa
THOR #4488
Quote:
I find it odd that this thread has many handling enhancement references but not one that actually "fixes" wag (that some call sway). Consider a track bar or panhard rod. It prevents solid axel side to side spring flex movement caused by external forces like wind, passing vehicles and toad.
I agree. The truck place I took mine to installed the Safe-T-Plus and LARGE diameter bar on the rear. Meeting or passing semis with my Miramar causes no issues at all. Tail wag and sway is all but gone. Cross winds are still there but the gusts are controlled by the Safe-T-Plus which gives me time to respond.
Old 03-11-2018, 06:30 PM   #25

Model: 2017 Thor Vegas 25.2
State: Indiana
THOR #7993
Quote:
I put the one from SuperSteer/Henderson on my Axis soon after I got it and that's all I did for a couple years. I think Blue Ox was the other one for the E-series that I was considering. FWIW ... I didn't choose based on what one I thought might be better ... it was a cheapest at the time choice.
Is there any way you could get the model number? I still can't find the right one.
Old 03-11-2018, 09:49 PM   #26

Model: Axis 25.3
THOR #2526
Sumosprings Front Installation

Since I have a Bigfoot Leveling System, I took all of 10 minutes. All you need is a long 10mm socket to take off the existing bumper - the screw is recessed inside.

The size difference is 2x. I took the picture with my cell phone while I was under the RV.

The Sumosprings comes with a washer and locking nut. But you can only install it on the passenger side. The driver side the frame is enclosed on all sides. The spring screws into the existing hole so DON'T FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONs and screw the old bolt in and out a few times.

Passenger side top you can see the screw coming through.

Test ride will have to wait.
Baddad53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 01:08 AM   #27

THOR #1944
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb1911 View Post
Is there any way you could get the model number? I still can't find the right one.
SS402 SuperSteer Trac Bar E350 was my early '15 order.
Old 03-12-2018, 01:56 AM   #28

THOR #1944
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miramar Owner View Post
... but the gusts are controlled by the Safe-T-Plus which gives me time to respond.
Consider the opposite ... Since STP is a heavily dampened shock on your link arm (with center bias), it isolates what is felt in the steering wheel. So what it really does, is keep the driver from over reacting to what is felt. However, dampening (road isolation) actually contributes to "less" response time.
Old 03-12-2018, 03:55 AM   #29

THOR #7993
Quote:
SS402 SuperSteer Trac Bar E350 was my early '15 order.
Really appreciate it, thanks.
Old 03-12-2018, 04:43 AM   #30

THOR #10354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagrandd View Post
I’m looking for input. On our 2017 Vegas (E450) we have added Safetplus and front and rear sway bars. We have had the alignment adjusted to the recommended positive tow-in settings.

All this resulted in a much improved driving experience with noticeable improvement in reduced “push” from passing semis and less sway during turns or on uneven roads. Driving in wind conditions less than 15 mph is no problem.

So, my question is; is there further improvement available that would help in 20 - 25 mph cross winds? Would the sumo springs, front / rear or both provide further improvement? Anything else that would be recommended?

Thanks in advance for any input!
The SSF-106-40 SumoSprings are listed for 500lbs and Ford E350 (vans I assume). These may work for awile but do not appear to be rated for the chassis we are talking about here. The load on each front axle is 2000lbs. Please educate me if I am wrong...I know these will work in conjunction with the E450's standard springs.
Old 03-12-2018, 12:07 PM   #31

THOR #4488
Quote:
Consider the opposite ... Since STP is a heavily dampened shock on your link arm (with center bias), it isolates what is felt in the steering wheel. So what it really does, is keep the driver from over reacting to what is felt. However, dampening (road isolation) actually contributes to "less" response time.
Hmmm...having driven 12,000 miles with it installed I can tell you it doesn't feel that way. By keeping equal pressure pushing against both wheels it keeps the wheels going straight. I feel the gusts hit the side of the RV but it doesn't force me to counter steer abruptly just to stay in my lane. I feel the wind and steer in to it but no more with a sense of panic. Not to mention the advantage in the event of a blow out.
Old 03-12-2018, 01:39 PM   #32
Kev

Model: Windsport
State: Florida
THOR #3918
I have had them installed in two coaches and don't find any reduction in response time at all.
Old 03-12-2018, 01:46 PM   #33

THOR #4488
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev View Post
I have had them installed in two coaches and don't find any reduction in response time at all.
If you felt no improvement on the first coach, why install on the second?
Old 03-12-2018, 05:25 PM   #34

Model: 2017 Miramar 34.4
THOR #9721
When you all are purchasing Sumo springs, are you doing the front AND/OR rear?
RV Travel Bug
Tearstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 09:26 PM   #35

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Missouri
THOR #5711
I did front and rear. Very pleased so far.
Lagrandd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 01:51 AM   #36

Model: Axis 25.3
THOR #2526
Sumosprings front test drive

Finally drove on a short trip with the newly installed front sumosprings. Driving over the Ventura River on the 101 caused my Axis to porpoise with a series of bumps. With the new springs, it stops bouncing after the initial travel. Never had any problem with fishtailing in rear so didn't do the rear springs even with jeep in tow. On turns, I see no difference but I don't corner like I'm in a sports car. Steering with semi passing no difference I can tell but it's not a problem. Ran into gushing winds and don't see any difference. So they worked great for bouncing problem period.
Baddad53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 02:12 AM   #37

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Oregon
THOR #6934
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tearstone View Post
I did front only, I am very happy, no reason to do the rear. Even though I tow a 5000 Trailer
Old 04-10-2018, 02:46 AM   #38

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tearstone View Post

Just installed Sumos on the front. Will be testing them on the way to Brooksville this weekend. Already installed Bilstein shocks all around, and the larger bar in the rear and rear Sumos will be next if the expense seems justified.
Old 04-10-2018, 02:00 PM   #39

THOR #10354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baddad53 View Post
Finally drove on a short trip with the newly installed front sumosprings. Driving over the Ventura River on the 101 caused my Axis to porpoise with a series of bumps. With the new springs, it stops bouncing after the initial travel. Never had any problem with fishtailing in rear so didn't do the rear springs even with jeep in tow. On turns, I see no difference but I don't corner like I'm in a sports car. Steering with semi passing no difference I can tell but it's not a problem. Ran into gushing winds and don't see any difference. So they worked great for bouncing problem period.
Finally a report that makes sense regarding theses "springs". They should only have an effect for larger suspension swings where they would be compressed, otherwise, theyare not in contact with the suspension members. I have seen a lot of testimonials making these units seem like perfect shock absorbers but they are just springs. Thanks for your report.
Old 04-10-2018, 02:32 PM   #40

THOR #7993
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thehobe1 View Post
Finally a report that makes sense regarding theses "springs". They should only have an effect for larger suspension swings where they would be compressed, otherwise, theyare not in contact with the suspension members. I have seen a lot of testimonials making these units seem like perfect shock absorbers but they are just springs. Thanks for your report.
But they ARE in constant contact with the suspension members. There is no space between the suspension and the SS, they are in constant contact.

My experience is that they make a huge difference when cornering, the lean is much less severe.