Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login

Old 04-09-2019, 12:52 AM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nichoga2 View Post
Mine is a 2015 model. Hope this isn’t going to be a common occurrence. Ruining our vacation plans now because I don’t trust driving it 16 hours with a crack in a windshield that big.

IMHO, your window isn't going to shatter or fall out, but having obstructed vision is a concern. Not aware of any way to stop that crack from extending. You didn't say just where the crack is from the driver's view. If it's on the passenger side, I would probably drive it anyway.

Our Vegas was an early 2016, and one of the last with the problematic taller windshields. It cracked while under warranty and was replaced by Thor without charge. There was some problem in the way that Thor had changed the mounting, until the warranty claims started rolling in. I believe only one forum member reported a second cracked windshield, and I think the second was caused by a rock. I recall no reports torsion cracking after the shorter windshields were installed in 2016 models.

That said, it is wise to always park where the four wheels all share the load. Mine cracked when I had one front wheel enough higher to cause a twist. (Lesson learned.)

Old 04-09-2019, 12:59 AM   #22

Model: Tuscany XTE 40EX
THOR #8582
I went to factory and saw the way they are made. Surprising more dont get cracked! SHODDY! After that tour, I'd never buy one of those models.
Old 04-09-2019, 01:14 AM   #23

State: Alaska
THOR #6879
I had a stress crack but used it all summer. Then we battled with Thor to fix it . It was a half moon lower drivers side.
Old 04-09-2019, 01:20 AM   #24

THOR #1589
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I went to factory and saw the way they are made. Surprising more dont get cracked! SHODDY! After that tour, I'd never buy one of those models.

Have toured the Axis/Vegas, plant, also Winnie, Jayco, and Tiffn, too. They were more alike than different. There isn't enough volume in any model to streamline like an auto plant. Have heard you shouldn't watch sausage or laws being made, maybe you should add RVs to that list.

BTW, Thor hired a new guy in charge of operations, and he is changing the culture of the workers and improving the processes. That news flash courtesy of the two Thor reps who spoke to our little rally last weekend. Look for an improvement in QC going forward.
Old 04-09-2019, 02:16 AM   #25

Model: Axis 24.2
State: Idaho
THOR #1944
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sunshine View Post
Not aware of any way to stop that crack from extending.
Old 04-09-2019, 02:48 AM   #26

Model: Tuscany XTE 40EX
THOR #8582
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sunshine View Post
Have toured the Axis/Vegas, plant, also Winnie, Jayco, and Tiffn, too. They were more alike than different. There isn't enough volume in any model to streamline like an auto plant. Have heard you shouldn't watch sausage or laws being made, maybe you should add RVs to that list.

BTW, Thor hired a new guy in charge of operations, and he is changing the culture of the workers and improving the processes. That news flash courtesy of the two Thor reps who spoke to our little rally last weekend. Look for an improvement in QC going forward.
Someone in charge of operations, usually tries to improve the efficiency of processes for better profit, NOT Quality! I know, I was in that position at one time. Quality to this type of person is usually a by-product by chance, not by execution!
Old 04-09-2019, 01:00 PM   #27

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyCreek View Post
Cool. Thanks for sharing. I’ve had several small repairs done, but didn’t know you could repair something that big. Good to know when you are on the road. Would be worth it to really check out the repair guys and find someone who knows what they are doing and has the right equipment for this repair. You need to repair it as soon as it happens for the best results.
Old 04-09-2019, 10:47 PM   #28

Model: 2015 Axis 24.1. (E-350)
State: Ohio
THOR #11485
Yes, we have the 2015 model. Love the coach though
Old 06-17-2020, 05:51 PM   #29

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #2138
2016 Vegas 24.1 cracked windshield

We're now on our second cracked windshield. The first time it cracked was shortly after the unit was purchased new at a CW dealer. We were on the road and happened to be close to Elkhart, IN and scheduled repair of that and some other items. The glass didn't get replaced until we got home later, but Thor looked at the windshield issue while we were in Elkhart.

The tech at Thor who worked on our unit said that the crack appeared to stem from a screw end, inside the windshield frame that was touching / rubbing the glass, and that over time it seemed that was the probable cause of the failure. He said that the repair made should solve any future problems.

Now, four years later it's happened again. I just got off the phone with a Thor customer service rep who refused to bring it to Thor's attention, stating that since the first repair was 4 years ago .. they wouldn't do anything this time. My argument is that this is a defect in manufacture or design, and not caused by 'normal wear and tear', owner neglect or road hazard issues. To no avail, the rep said take it to my insurance company. The rep I spoke to today did say that at some point in time (he was not able to tell me when) the manufacturer, Guardian came out with a redesigned glass that was supposed to be more sturdy and that Thor began installing those in, I assume the early windshield designs like mine that have failed. I'll be calling them with the glass ID to see if my second windshield is one of those redesigned models.

Interesting to note that Thor reacted to this design flaw and changed the glass in 2017, using a shorter windshield with a much less severe bend in the glass near the top.

So, moral of this story - beware of the design that looks like the 2016 windshield pictured in the comparison photo .. as you will most likely be in the same boat as me.
Old 06-17-2020, 06:16 PM   #30

THOR #1765
Actually, the new small windshield came out in the 2016 models. I had a 2014 Vegas with the tall windshield, that I traded for a 2016 Axis at the January 2016 RV show in Tamps. In February 2016 there were still lots of tall windshield models on the CW lot when I picked up my unit. They said that they were 2016 models - and the probably were build in late 2015 - like my short window 2016 model.
Old 06-17-2020, 11:40 PM   #31

THOR #1589
Our 2016 was built in early 2015 and has the taller wind and also the 350 chassis. They no doubt used up parts inventory before switching.
Old 06-18-2020, 12:13 AM   #32

THOR #1765
I traded my 2014 For a 2016 because it had the smaller window, was built on an E450 chassis and it had the six speed transmission rather than the five speed. It also had the new two door bathroom setup rather than the original two-piece heavy door that I always felt was trying to break my toes. In addition it was the first year (I think) that had the light wood interior that made it much lighter and seem bigger inside. In addition, for $20K and my trade, I got six new tires and erased 24,000 miles.
Old 06-18-2020, 12:48 AM   #33

THOR #2138
Sounds like it was definitely mix and match there for a while. My 2016 (as stated on my title & registration) is an E350, tall windshield .. and two bathroom doors.
Old 06-30-2020, 10:43 PM   #34

State: Texas
THOR #19434
Thor Axis/Vegas Windshield Issues

We had our 2015 Axis windshield stress crack after one year and they replaced it with a completely different type of glass (has curves and shaped odd). Last month it started leaking horribly and the dealer and company that did the work won't help at all...One year warranty and said it is a RV and gonna happen. My question is do you guys have issues with the installation after a few years or leaking? The glass is just lifting out like it is not even glued in at all. Mobile glass guy has to pull it out and glue it in after cleaning all the old glue off. He is not guaranteeing it will won't break in this fix. Insurance doesn't cover glass so we are hoping that it won't break in this process. Does anyone have experience with pulling these and this kind of fix?
Thanks!
Old 06-30-2020, 11:23 PM   #35

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rein View Post
We had our 2015 Axis windshield stress crack after one year and they replaced it with a completely different type of glass (has curves and shaped odd). Last month it started leaking horribly and the dealer and company that did the work won't help at all...One year warranty and said it is a RV and gonna happen. My question is do you guys have issues with the installation after a few years or leaking? The glass is just lifting out like it is not even glued in at all. Mobile glass guy has to pull it out and glue it in after cleaning all the old glue off. He is not guaranteeing it will won't break in this fix. Insurance doesn't cover glass so we are hoping that it won't break in this process. Does anyone have experience with pulling these and this kind of fix?
Thanks!
Arizona, Florida, and Kentucky windshield replacement law require full glass coverage, as do Massachusetts and South Carolina. It can be added to most insurance comprehensive policy if you ask and pay for it. Your deductible may apply depending on the coverage.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 11:49 PM   #36

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
Arizona, Florida, and Kentucky windshield replacement law require full glass coverage, as do Massachusetts and South Carolina. It can be added to most insurance comprehensive policy if you ask and pay for it. Your deductible may apply depending on the coverage.
California requires an rider/add-on to the standard policy for windshield repair.
Even with a $1,000 deductible, State Farm wanted additional $225/yr from me, added to my current the $700/yr premium.

I’ve chosen not to so far (knock on wood).
Old 07-01-2020, 12:12 AM   #37

Model: S.O.B.
THOR #3483
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rein View Post
Thanks!
I would not begin to think that a mobile windshield repairman would be able to handle such a windshield successfully. I would hunt down a technician that specializes in these mega sized RV windshields.
Old 07-01-2020, 12:27 AM   #38

Model: 25.2 Axis
State: Arizona
THOR #3471
I had mine replaced three times the last time thor sent an engineer and he said it was gaskets that hold windshield in. They sent new gaskets outside and inside new glass and that fixed my problem. He told me the new inside gasket was the solution to the problem
Quote:
Originally Posted by axis earl View Post
I would not begin to think that a mobile windshield repairman would be able to handle such a windshield successfully. I would hunt down a technician that specializes in these mega sized RV windshields.
Old 07-01-2020, 04:03 PM   #39

THOR #2138
When we had ours replaced the first time, a local auto glass company came to our house (they specialize in large glass such as semi trucks, busses, farm tractors and the like), and two fellas replaced it in a couple of hours - so it can be done by companies other than Thor. I have an appointment with the same company (Tri State Auto Glass in Asheville, NC) to come see if they can epoxy-fill our 10" crack - wish me luck!
Old 07-01-2020, 07:15 PM   #40

Model: S.O.B.
THOR #3483
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypatrick View Post
When we had ours replaced the first time, a local auto glass company came to our house (they specialize in large glass such as semi trucks, busses, farm tractors and the like), and two fellas replaced it in a couple of hours - so it can be done by companies other than Thor. I have an appointment with the same company (Tri State Auto Glass in Asheville, NC) to come see if they can epoxy-fill our 10" crack - wish me luck!
Usually, anything bigger than a quarter and they will not do an epoxy repair.