Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login

Old 12-11-2021, 06:13 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Batteries Tested! What Is The Best RV Battery For The Money? - Mortons on the Move

Interesting ! Real deep dive of batteries

https://www.mortonsonthemove.com/bes...y-test-results

Old 12-11-2021, 06:32 PM   #2

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
That's basically a poorly disguised infomercial for Battle Born batteries. Are they TRULY giving an unbiased review? I seriously doubt it.

The BEST battery is the one that works for your use case. It's within your budget, provides the nominal amount of performance while staying within your budget.

Why is "budget" important? If it weren't important, everyone would simply add 2000 watts of solar on their roof, install a 1000AH lithium batter bank with all the necessary peripherals, and be done.

Enjoying RV life means different things to different people. Some have a seemingly endless money supply and don't understand why others don't. Others have figured out how to enjoy the lifestyle without going overboard with large expensive motorhomes including all the bells and whistles.

Most people DO have a budget. Although slowly dropping in price (with competition), lithium batteries are still one of the most expensive UP FRONT purchases. One could argue all the typical talking points: "They last much longer... they provide more power... they're lighter... etc. But the fact still remains... you are paying a premium UP FRONT to get all that "goodness". Oh... and just maybe you only NEED a much smaller reliable 12 volt power source.
Old 12-13-2021, 07:54 PM   #3

Model: Tuscany 40ex
THOR #12726
I used 4 6 volt batteries as they last longer and have more amp hours then 12v I can usually run everything except a/c and heat about 24hrs before needing to charge them.
Old 12-13-2021, 07:56 PM   #4

THOR #12726
Oh forgot if you change batteries don’t forget to change settings on your charger for amp rating for charging
Old 12-13-2021, 08:19 PM   #5
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by simidrm View Post
Oh forgot if you change batteries don’t forget to change settings on your charger for amp rating for charging
Yeah, cuz most Thor RVs have that capability.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 08:24 PM   #6
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
There are better unbiased reviews by folks and organizations that aren’t paid by the click or have results based on facts rather than who supplies the free samples.
Old 12-13-2021, 09:42 PM   #7

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Battleborn is now
Average At best.
Overpriced by 30 to 50%.

Infomercial, nothing more.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2021, 02:46 PM   #8

Model: Omni XG32
THOR #24995
I've watched that video more than once. Although sponsored by battle born, the results are applicable to battery construction/chemistry of any brand.
I found it to be a credible test of battery chemistries and their actual performance vs claimed performance.
Yes, budget constraints come into play on whether you chose to take advantage of the performance advantages, but does not play in what the results are.
It was eye opening to me to see how poorly AGM's did vs their $$ premium over FLA
Old 12-17-2021, 02:55 PM   #9

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
THOR #13932
The ONLY measurable when applied to real life advantage of agm is how
It can lay on its side
It doesn't off gas as bad
It doesn't require water addition
Battery terminals generally do not corrode.

Anyone having said agm has an appreciable power advantage over a wet cell was expanding the minutiae.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2021, 06:13 PM   #10

Model: Tuscany 42GX
State: Missouri
THOR #9178
I have used AGM batteries for many years in almost all my toys, equipment, and vehicles

The very first were in the Jet Skies probably 30 years back

My new Fords have came with them for years

The reason I switched was the corrosion issue and reduced maintenance was second

They have all held up well
Old 12-17-2021, 07:34 PM   #11

THOR #12726
The best battery anti corrosion that I have tried so far is called glyptal , and believe me I have tried everything.
Old 12-17-2021, 10:39 PM   #12

THOR #20220
Good to hear...just received 2 group 31 agm vmaxtank $600
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2021, 12:33 AM   #13

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
I tried to read that article or video on link sent in OP post and it was like trying to read a book in a library that was right in the heart of New York City, too many popup, distractions, pictures, jumping of the screen etc. If they don't respect my time anymore than that why should I give then the time of the day.

So this ad has effectively convinced me to not only never buy Battleborn, but to never even try to sit down and listen to what thy may have to say.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2021, 12:35 AM   #14

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubawise View Post
Good to hear...just received 2 group 31 agm vmaxtank $600
Drum roll.. hurry up and hook it up, you got important peeps wanting coffee at 6:00 AM
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 12-18-2021, 02:58 AM   #15

Model: Four Winds 26B
THOR #20900
I didn't watch the video, just read the web page. I prefer to get my information by reading, not video. There was only 1 pop-up that doesn't recur after being closed. Very few ads. (I use an ad blocker.) No screen jumping, but of course if your connection or computer is slow then pictures could take a while to load which would cause text to shift as the pictures fill in space on the page. The pictures were illustrative of their test setup, or graphs of the results - both useful and relevant.

AGM cost analysis is not surprising. They're Lead-Acid, and perform the same as other types of lead-acid. What one is paying for is convenience. Their cost analysis of lead-acid vs the Lithium batteries is based on assumptions that may not match reality for many people. Many would not have twice as many lead-acid as Lithium, and how long one owns the RV matters in that analysis too. There could still be cases where the lighter weight of Lithium, BB or otherwise, would be good, such as Mercedes-based chassis that typically have low OCCC, or smaller units where someone wants more capacity but doesn't have room for more batteries. For me, AGM are fine.
Old 12-18-2021, 04:57 AM   #16

THOR #20220
Go Vmaxtanks!
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
Old 12-18-2021, 05:37 AM   #17

Model: Chateau 24F
THOR #16721
I think their analysis overlooked an important benefit that lead acid batteries provide over lithium. Loading up your rig with about 10 lead acid batteries provides a low center of gravity to help counteract the effects of crosswinds!
Old 12-18-2021, 05:49 AM   #18

THOR #20220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
I think their analysis overlooked an important benefit that lead acid batteries provide over lithium. Loading up your rig with about 10 lead acid batteries provides a low center of gravity to help counteract the effects of crosswinds!
You need 20 !!
Old 12-18-2021, 04:43 PM   #19

THOR #13058
I think the comparison between FLA options and Lithium is a silly one to try to make.

I use the below analogy

1. Chevy Tahoe - FLA
2. Cadillac Escalade - Non Dual Purpose AGM with no Automotive Posts that was purely intended for true deep cycling ONLY
3. Ford -350 - Lithium

They all can be said to be basically the same thing with some differences in technology.

In my view you buy a battery or SUV/Truck to do what you need, or can afford.
Spare me the if you can't afford to buy anything that you may want or need for the RV you should not own an RV argument.

Most folks need a battery to start a engine, if so; buy a battery with lot of CCA for your engine size

Other folks need "X" amount of AH per day before their system will recharge the batteries for the next day. Buy a battery that can handle that reserve capacity before going below it's safe point of SOC.

A few exceptions are folks that need to go weeks or are trying to run a complete RV system for days with no shore power or generator availability. You not only need Lithium, but you need a lot of Lithium batteries and everything else that comes with the purchase to maintain it.

For me 100 AH / day is absolute MAX I will ever need. I got 125 ah / day reserve available. AGM vMax tanks

My OEM NAPA FLA Chassis battery just purrs along with no issues whatsoever, just like when buying a new car; you never have issues with a new car battery for years. Maybe when you knew the battery was starting to get old you may add some DI water trying to buy some time

But after all the RV battery talk, when my perfectly fine OEM Chassis battery hint at doing anything, I will replace them with a powerful CCA AGM TBD. I will never buy another FLA that requires water maintenance nor buy a Lithium system until it comes with a future RV that I may purchase.

The point is maybe the question should not be which is best, but what do you need. The opinions will vary greatly on another assuming what somewhat else may need or want.
Old 12-22-2021, 12:50 PM   #20

Model: Omni XG32 GONE for good
State: Alabama
THOR #22586
In my opinion a FLA true deep cycle, like the GC2 golf cart is the best bang for the buck. Cheapest to buy but requires attention and maintenance. I'm not doing serious off-gridding so these work for me. So best bang depends on needs and desires.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote