Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 03-19-2019, 11:34 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
The_Breeze's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 31L
State: Florida
Posts: 1,579
THOR #12189
Water Heater Timer?

Has anyone ever tried to put a timer on the 110v side of their WH?

I'm looking at it this way: I use hot water in the morning. If I stay somewhere with metered electric, why let it suck juice all day for the hour or so it's needed in the mornings. Why not have it kick on a hour before it's needed and then maybe stay on for an hour, sitting idle the other 22hrs instead of needlessly helping to spin the dial.

Signed,

Curious
__________________

__________________
The_Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 12:03 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Popfla's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2019 Freedom Elite 30FE
State: Florida
Posts: 463
THOR #14543
On my way to start the coffee in the morning, I flip the switch for the water heater on as I walk by it.

After breakfast dishes are done and showers are complete, I flip the switch off.

Back on while dinner is cooking; off again after dishes.

Repeat as needed.
__________________

__________________
Ed
2019 Thor Freedom Elite 30FE w/2020 Jeep Gladiator Toad
Living The Dream in "God's Waiting Room"
Popfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 12:19 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
The_Breeze's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 31L
State: Florida
Posts: 1,579
THOR #12189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Popfla View Post
On my way to start the coffee in the morning, I flip the switch for the water heater on as I walk by it.

After breakfast dishes are done and showers are complete, I flip the switch off.

Back on while dinner is cooking; off again after dishes.

Repeat as needed.
Did I mention I'm a technocrat and lazy?
__________________
The_Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 12:33 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Popfla's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2019 Freedom Elite 30FE
State: Florida
Posts: 463
THOR #14543
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBreeze View Post
Did I mention I'm a technocrat and lazy?


__________________
Ed
2019 Thor Freedom Elite 30FE w/2020 Jeep Gladiator Toad
Living The Dream in "God's Waiting Room"
Popfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 02:29 PM   #5
lug
Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 32.1
State: Michigan
Posts: 85
THOR #11442
Since mine is dual heated and if I were to do it I'd install the timer near the AC panel under my bed using a 24H mechanical, if available, 120V 30/40A timer (pool pump timer) to keep it simple. It would be easy to access and reset/adjust/override as needed. My alternate would be installing a 12VDC timer in series with the wall switch (120V side of heater, not propane side) next to or on the monitor panel. If I were to lower the lazy bar I'd install a 12V timer to operate both gas and electric so I could choose both, only one or offset based on peak electrical cost. If you went with the HAL 9000 series....
__________________
lug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 05:32 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Popfla's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2019 Freedom Elite 30FE
State: Florida
Posts: 463
THOR #14543
Wink Okay, technocrat...

If you're gonna do it, do it right...

"ALEXA...turn on the water heater at 0600, then off at 0800, then on at 1800, then off at 2000. And when you're done with that, get me a cold beer from the fridge."
__________________
Ed
2019 Thor Freedom Elite 30FE w/2020 Jeep Gladiator Toad
Living The Dream in "God's Waiting Room"
Popfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 06:12 PM   #7
Thor Palazzo 33.3 diesel
 
TurnerFam's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Palazzo 33.3 34'bunkhouse
State: Georgia
Posts: 2,401
THOR #4735
yep, just switch it on maybe an hour before you need it, or even use the propane for quick heating in only 15minutes...

sure, you 'could' add some type of 120v inline timer, or even some type of 12v timer near the switch...but it seems like that's overkill. I also don't think your heating element uses much electricity over the course of time, especially since it's only maintaining the temperature, not taking it from 32degrees to 110degrees every hour.
The money you spend on a timer will probably be more than you ever actually 'save'.


enjoy!
__________________
the Turners
'14 Palazzo 33.3 bunkhouse 34' diesel
KingTailgater2 Dish HD, 100w/5a SOLAR, BlueOx
100,000+mi since '14 - US, Alaska, Canada - Northwest, GA! (also, '14 Gulfstream Amerilite and '07 ForestRiver Rockwood) : )
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 06:40 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
The_Breeze's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 31L
State: Florida
Posts: 1,579
THOR #12189
Quote:
Originally Posted by lug View Post
Since mine is dual heated and if I were to do it I'd install the timer near the AC panel under my bed using a 24H mechanical, if available, 120V 30/40A timer (pool pump timer) to keep it simple. It would be easy to access and reset/adjust/override as needed. My alternate would be installing a 12VDC timer in series with the wall switch (120V side of heater, not propane side) next to or on the monitor panel. If I were to lower the lazy bar I'd install a 12V timer to operate both gas and electric so I could choose both, only one or offset based on peak electrical cost. If you went with the HAL 9000 series....
or the Binford 6100?
__________________
The_Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 06:41 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
The_Breeze's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 31L
State: Florida
Posts: 1,579
THOR #12189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Popfla View Post
If you're gonna do it, do it right...

"ALEXA...turn on the water heater at 0600, then off at 0800, then on at 1800, then off at 2000. And when you're done with that, get me a cold beer from the fridge."
LMAO!!! Thanks
__________________
The_Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 06:42 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
The_Breeze's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 31L
State: Florida
Posts: 1,579
THOR #12189
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerFam View Post
yep, just switch it on maybe an hour before you need it, or even use the propane for quick heating in only 15minutes...

sure, you 'could' add some type of 120v inline timer, or even some type of 12v timer near the switch...but it seems like that's overkill. I also don't think your heating element uses much electricity over the course of time, especially since it's only maintaining the temperature, not taking it from 32degrees to 110degrees every hour.
The money you spend on a timer will probably be more than you ever actually 'save'.


enjoy!
good point...noted and thanks
__________________

__________________
The_Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.




All times are GMT. The time now is 08:32 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
×