Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-30-2019, 04:03 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Oregon
THOR #16316
Water pressure

We have a 2019 Thor Aria. When we are on shore power/water we use a pressure reducer to protect the pipes but it results in horrible water pressure in the coach. I've found that we can really improve the pressure by turning the water pump on but I'm concerned about doing that when it's shore water versus using the tank. Is this ok to do? Will it damage our pump? Sure would like a shower with more than a dribble of water!

Old 12-30-2019, 04:26 PM   #2

Model: Compass 23 TB
State: Ontario
THOR #13224
I do not think its a good idea to run he pump when hooked up to city water. I use a pressure regulator that has a pressure guage and you can change the water pressure to what is good for you. I have found that 55 PSI is good for showers in our Compass
Coveman2
2018 Thor Compass 23TB
Old 12-30-2019, 04:37 PM   #3

Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
Does your "pressure reducer" have a gauge on it? Some of the non-gauge pressure regulators can be a problem with pressure.
Old 12-30-2019, 05:18 PM   #4
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Yes, you can use your pump to "increase" your water pressure and flow (it won't hurt anything) but realize the pump will be supplying water from your onboard tank.

Your best bet is to remove your current pressure regulator and replace it with an adjustable one with downstream gauge when you get a chance.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 05:22 PM   #5

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
Problem solver:

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-40058-A.../dp/B01N9QUEYZ

Set it at 50-55 PSI and relax!!
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 06:45 PM   #6
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
I use a hi-flow pressure regulator from Valterra. I bought it at CW.
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 10:31 PM   #7

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
I first test the water pressure with a gauge, if its not above 65 psi I don’t use a reducer. Only twice have I need to use a pressure device. Pressure gauges are available at most RV stores, sometimes at Lowes and Home Depot.
Old 12-30-2019, 10:49 PM   #8

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
We do things as easily as possible.
We just don't use city hookup unless we've screwed up and are out of coach water.
40 gallon on board tank lasts quite a while.
We just gravity fill the tank on whatever schedule creates itself.

We use a macerator, so no slinky hose to hook up, just dump when full and we're hooked up for less than 10 minutes every third day or so.

We plug in to 30 amp and we're done with production and moving onto something less hateful. Two minutes to plug in, or not, and walk away. We really don't even have to that, but it exercises some systems.

An adjustable water pressure regulator is the answer.
But
Learning to use the on board systems to your advantage is even better.

Just a different take on the situation.
Old 01-08-2020, 07:27 PM   #9

State: Arkansas
THOR #7075
Hi, I have a 3901 also. I have a water reducer, but have never used it. Never had a problem either.
I usually open the water faucet with my hose but not connected to my coach yet. I evaluate the pressure and adjust before connecting to my coach.
Old 01-08-2020, 10:45 PM   #10

Brand: DRV
Model: 38 RSB3
State: South Dakota
THOR #1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
I first test the water pressure with a gauge, if its not above 65 psi I don’t use a reducer. Only twice have I need to use a pressure device. Pressure gauges are available at most RV stores, sometimes at Lowes and Home Depot.
The problem with that is the water pressure can change. I camped by Stone Mountain and the park said that a pressure regulator was necessary. As the water pressure would go above 125 psi at night once the local business closed.

I keep and adjustable regulator hooked up all the time.
Old 01-08-2020, 10:48 PM   #11

Brand: DRV
Model: 38 RSB3
State: South Dakota
THOR #1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonRV View Post
We have a 2019 Thor Aria. When we are on shore power/water we use a pressure reducer to protect the pipes but it results in horrible water pressure in the coach. I've found that we can really improve the pressure by turning the water pump on but I'm concerned about doing that when it's shore water versus using the tank. Is this ok to do? Will it damage our pump? Sure would like a shower with more than a dribble of water!
If you like your onboard pumps pressure better. Then fill your tank up and run on your pump all the time. You can leave your city water hose connected, but turn off the faucet. This way when you need more water it is just a couple turns of a couple knobs and you have water in your tank again.
Old 01-08-2020, 11:24 PM   #12

Model: Hurricane 34J
State: Illinois
THOR #12548
I’m currently in a similar situation as the OP, and am benefiting from “two wrongs don’t make a right—but three lefts do!”

I’ve got both the problem of city water connect is providing good water pressure as indicated by my adjustable water regulator but doesn’t translate into good pressure inside the rig & a slightly leaking backstop valve inside my water pump.

Typically, I benefit from turning on the pump even when connected to city water. having an empty tank means turning on the pump won’t help. But taking additional time to fill the 50 gallon gravity tank is both an added hassle, and gets many quizzical looks/comments from friends and neighbors about filling the tank when there’s a water connection at my site. Luckily, there’s a leak from the city water piping inside my rig that backfills my tank.

So I usually just sit back and leave the pump on. At some point, enough water is used and the reverse leak inside my pump fillis up my tank. When I see water slowly spilling out of the overfill outlet of the tank, I turn off the pump for a while. With a family of five, lots of friends with kids and dogs, and an outdoor kitchen—enough water gets used that I can turn on the pump again for when me and the missus need it for our showers.
Old 01-08-2020, 11:47 PM   #13

Model: Venetian M37
State: Texas
THOR #10920
Some water pressure regulators have a rubber gasket with a screen. Should the screen be clogged it will impede water flow. Additionally, if the rubber gasket has too small of an opening it will impede water flow... so you might consider removing the gasket and screen. The
Old 01-09-2020, 01:06 PM   #14

Model: Aria 3901
State: Arizona
THOR #11568
Water pressure

Always check the water pressure or just use a regulator with gauge. I did a quick night in Reno and didn’t check. Pressure was high and I developed a leak by the water heater that took awhile to catch.i have had problems with the Kant Leak allowing the fresh water tanks to fill and overflow when on city water setting. Changed the valve but still had a problem. I finally installed shut off valves in both lines to prevent this. Just need to remember to open them when I need to use the pump.
Old 01-13-2020, 11:05 PM   #15

State: Alabama
THOR #12479
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulva View Post
Hi, I have a 3901 also. I have a water reducer, but have never used it. Never had a problem either.
I usually open the water faucet with my hose but not connected to my coach yet. I evaluate the pressure and adjust before connecting to my coach.
How do you "adjust before connecting to my coach"? Are you saying you lower the pressure by reducing the flow by turning the faucet handle? I assume this is what you mean since you said you have never used your pressure reducer. If so, this doesn't work.
Old 01-13-2020, 11:11 PM   #16
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
I just ordered an adjustable pressure regulator with a gauge and a screened inlet for about $26.00 from Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Twinkle-Star-...s%2C155&sr=8-6

For this price: what the heck; it's worth a shot...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 12:13 AM   #17

State: Alabama
THOR #12479
Question

Quote:
How do you "adjust before connecting to my coach"? Are you saying you lower the pressure by reducing the flow by turning the faucet handle? I assume this is what you mean since you said you have never used your pressure reducer. If so, this doesn't work.
Old 01-14-2020, 12:41 AM   #18
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucita white View Post
Sounds like he is adjusting FLOW with the spigot valve which does nothing to reduce static pressure to the coach.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 02:15 AM   #19

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
I just ordered an adjustable pressure regulator with a gauge and a screened inlet for about $26.00 from Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Twinkle-Star-...s%2C155&sr=8-6

For this price: what the heck; it's worth a shot...

I reached the same conclusion a year or so ago. The gauge tells you exactly what you’ve got and the one I bought was cheap and seems well made. I keep it on my hose.

Tags
water pressure, water pump