Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login

Old 08-12-2017, 11:46 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Water pump cycling question

On the road now with my 2017 Freedom Elite and have a question regarding my house water pump. Often it cycles on very briefly (half a second or less) at irregular intervals. Obviously my system is losing pressure somehow. Im certain nothing is turned on and haven't found any leaks, wet spots or drips. There must be some sort of a one way or back flow preventer valve at the pump. Do these have any history of failure or weakness? Are they serviceable or replaceable? Thank you for the wisdom of he forum and the willingness to help.

Old 08-12-2017, 11:55 PM   #2

Model: ACE 29.0
State: Colorado
THOR #2581
Even an occasional drip now and again will cause this to happen. Maybe your external shower? Toilet? I have never noticed this on mine but then I rarely leave the pump on after I'm done using water.
Old 08-13-2017, 12:24 AM   #3

Model: Challenger 37KT
State: Texas
THOR #1183
Once system stops pumping after use disconnect input/tank hose from pump. Raise hose end above water level in tank. If water continues to leak out of the pump port - probably bad pump check valve. If you have Kantleak four way valve, problem could be the Kantleak valve. If in wty or close Anderson Brass/Kantleak good about supplying replacement valve and instructions.
Old 02-18-2024, 01:33 PM   #4

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
We’re camping in a state park with water off, using fresh water tank. Our Surflo pump cycles for a split second randomly. No leaks. No faucets open. Do you think it’s just leaking back into the tank?
Old 02-18-2024, 03:11 PM   #5
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo56 View Post
We’re camping in a state park with water off, using fresh water tank. Our Surflo pump cycles for a split second randomly. No leaks. No faucets open. Do you think it’s just leaking back into the tank?
Yep, probably back leaking through the pump due to some debris. It may get cleared with a good run (i.e., shower) or it may need to be rebuilt/replaced.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2024, 03:16 PM   #6

Model: ACE 30.1
THOR #25260
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo56 View Post
Our Surflo pump cycles for a split second randomly. No leaks.
The pump has a one-way valve or 'check valve' on the outlet side. If you're certain there are no leaks or dripping faucets (remember to check the outdoor shower if your rig hs one) then the check valve is likely not able to hold against the pressure the pump has put into the pipes.

I'm not sure if the check valve can be repaired or replaced separately. If the pump seems to randomly run very infrequently - say a few times a day - (and you're sure there are no leaking pipes...) then it's shouldn't be a big worry. If it runs every few minutes then I'd look into repairing or replacing it.

It's always been my habit to shut off the water pump when going to sleep. That was it won't bother us by randomly making noise during the night.

2015 ACE 30.1, 2017 RAV4, 1999 F250, 1991 Honda ST1100, 1984 Alfa Romeo Spider, 1981 Alfa Romeo GTV6, 1961 MGA
ghnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2024, 03:28 PM   #7
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghnl View Post
The pump has a one-way valve or 'check valve' on the outlet side. If you're certain there are no leaks or dripping faucets (remember to check the outdoor shower if your rig hs one) then the check valve is likely not able to hold against the pressure the pump has put into the pipes.

I'm not sure if the check valve can be repaired or replaced separately. If the pump seems to randomly run very infrequently - say a few times a day - (and you're sure there are no leaking pipes...) then it's shouldn't be a big worry. If it runs every few minutes then I'd look into repairing or replacing it.

It's always been my habit to shut off the water pump when going to sleep. That was it won't bother us by randomly making noise during the night.
The "check valve" is not a discrete component - it is integrated into the diaphragm design of the water pump itself.

There is a discrete suction strainer which is supposed to prevent larger trash from entering the pump, but nothing connected to a pumps outlet other than piping.

Old 02-18-2024, 03:35 PM   #8

Model: ACE 30.1
THOR #25260
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
The "check valve" is not a discrete component - it is integrated into the diaphragm design of the water pump itself.
Right. By the time you remove the water pump and dismantle it far enough to access the check valve to try to repair or replace it, you'd probably be better off replacing the whole thing.

2015 ACE 30.1, 2017 RAV4, 1999 F250, 1991 Honda ST1100, 1984 Alfa Romeo Spider, 1981 Alfa Romeo GTV6, 1961 MGA
ghnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2024, 03:44 PM   #9

Model: 2022 Tellaro 20L
State: Vermont
THOR #30506
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
On the road now with my 2017 Freedom Elite and have a question regarding my house water pump. Often it cycles on very briefly (half a second or less) at irregular intervals. Obviously my system is losing pressure somehow. Im certain nothing is turned on and haven't found any leaks, wet spots or drips. There must be some sort of a one way or back flow preventer valve at the pump. Do these have any history of failure or weakness? Are they serviceable or replaceable? Thank you for the wisdom of he forum and the willingness to help.
I had a cracked elbow behind an access panel- slow drip is all it took for my pump to come on 1-2X/nite. I didn't think I had a leak, until I was re-doing the plumbing in that area.

I was told I had a leak 1-2 yrs before, didn't beleive it, and had no evidence either- then I started working over the old plumbing- luckily no excessive rust behind that wall- access panel behind the toilet in a 20 y.o. Rialta.

Check valve in pump is also a likely candidate.

Feeling fittings with hands is the fastest way to find, if no puddles. Water can run down a pipe to an area that you cannot see into. That's how I found it- crack was under the fitting and was out of sight.
Daily driver: 2021 VW ID4
Mark54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2024, 04:00 PM   #10
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghnl View Post
Right. By the time you remove the water pump and dismantle it far enough to access the check valve to try to repair or replace it, you'd probably be better off replacing the whole thing.

That's a pretty good video showing the construction of a water pump and for a Shurflow pump replacing the internal check valve is not too difficult (he didn't have to completely disassemble it to just replace the check valve), but other model pumps may be much more difficult and replacing the entire pump may be the path of least resistance (as you said).