Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login

Old 01-27-2022, 02:14 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 24.1
State: New Jersey
THOR #10772
House battery

I just had the house batteries replaced on 2014 Vegas. I am on the road overnighting at Cracker Barrel. I have noticed that none of the outlets work unless I run the generator. I haven’t had a chance to check fuses. Always check fuses first. Is this the way it’s supposed to work. Only the lights work but nothing else unless the generator is on?
Another thing, maybe related, maybe not. The 2 plugs on the dash for the gps and phone charger don’t work at all. Again haven’t had time yet to check fuses. Any suggestions what to look at after checking fuses? Thanks

Old 01-27-2022, 02:40 AM   #2
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capeteacher View Post
I just had the house batteries replaced on 2014 Vegas. I am on the road overnighting at Cracker Barrel. I have noticed that none of the outlets work unless I run the generator. I haven’t had a chance to check fuses. Always check fuses first. Is this the way it’s supposed to work. Only the lights work but nothing else unless the generator is on?
Another thing, maybe related, maybe not. The 2 plugs on the dash for the gps and phone charger don’t work at all. Again haven’t had time yet to check fuses. Any suggestions what to look at after checking fuses? Thanks
Outlets are 120VAC so only work on generator, shore power or inverter is one is installed.

How long have you owned this rig?
Old 01-27-2022, 02:41 AM   #3
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
So you've owned this RV for almost 4 years and never noticed the 120 VAC outlets and appliances didn't work unless you were plugged into SP or running the generator?

That's the way it came from the factory. Now I know you bought this used so if a previous owner installed an inverter in the coach to power a few outlets (like the TVs) then maybe when the house batteries were replaced a cable going to the inverter may have been left unconnected or connected to the wrong place.

So you really need to determine id you have an inverter, otherwis, systems normal.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 02:43 AM   #4

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
You have two completely separate electrical systems. A 12 volt DC system (powered by house batteries) and a 120 volt AC system (powered by a shore plug OR your generator. Your interior lights are almost always 12 volt DC powered... which means from your house batteries.

If you do not have a power inverter (which inverts 12 volt DC to 120 volt AC, you must run your generator or use a shore power hookup to power your 120 volt AC outlets.

Likely you need to run your generator to get power to any outlets.

As far as your dash outlets, do they work with the ingnition switch on or engine running? If so, they may be wired to only work like that. Otherwise... if they STILL don't work, look for a blown fuse in your chassis fuse box. It's not rare to blow a 12 volt fuse or two when swapping batteries.
Old 01-27-2022, 02:44 AM   #5

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
Outlets are 120VAC so only work on generator, shore power or inverter is one is installed.

How long have you owned this rig?
What he said.
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 02:47 AM   #6
Site Team

THOR #7035
Regarding the dash 12 VDC outlets - that's been a pretty frequent issue with the 24.1s. Most people repower them with new wiring if they don't see a simple solution like a blown fuse or loose connector.
Old 01-27-2022, 09:05 PM   #7

THOR #10772
I’ve had the motor home for about 4 yrs. Usually hooked up to shore power. I have turned on the tv but don’t recall using plugs. Makes sense that only lights work on batteries. I’ll have to check out the stuff mentioned here after I check the fuses.
I thought the house battery charged up while driving. Woke up this AM to a cold MH lights practically out.
Don’t know about an inverter, would have to look for it once I know what it looks like.
The dash plugs are supposed to work when the ignition is on but they don’t. I’m wondering if I knocked something off when I had to take out the radio and switch the camera leads.
Well if I have to deal with these issues I rather do it in FL even if it’s 50s and drizzle as opposed to home which is getting 6-12” of snow this weekend
Old 01-27-2022, 10:38 PM   #8
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
I’ve had the motor home for about 4 yrs. Usually hooked up to shore power. I have turned on the tv but don’t recall using plugs. Makes sense that only lights work on batteries. I’ll have to check out the stuff mentioned here after I check the fuses.
I thought the house battery charged up while driving. Woke up this AM to a cold MH lights practically out.
Don’t know about an inverter, would have to look for it once I know what it looks like.
The dash plugs are supposed to work when the ignition is on but they don’t. I’m wondering if I knocked something off when I had to take out the radio and switch the camera leads.
Well if I have to deal with these issues I rather do it in FL even if it’s 50s and drizzle as opposed to home which is getting 6-12” of snow this weekend
The batteries ARE SUPPOSED TO charge while driving (assuming everything is working as it's supposed to).

If you want to stop near Lake City, FL I'd be happy to help you check it out. Just don't bring that Jersey cold weather with you.
Old 01-27-2022, 10:42 PM   #9

State: Arizona
THOR #5820
Quote:

Your outlets only work with the generator running or on shore power. No need to look for fuses…While driving and or on shore/generator power I’m pretty sure you have to have your use/ store switch on use to keep batteries charging…It also might give you power to your outlets on the dash..??
Old 01-28-2022, 01:43 AM   #10

THOR #10772
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony&Sheryl View Post
Your outlets only work with the generator running or on shore power. No need to look for fuses…While driving and or on shore/generator power I’m pretty sure you have to have your use/ store switch on use to keep batteries charging…It also might give you power to your outlets on the dash..??
I’ve checked and re-hit the use button. That I did read about. I’m trying to get ideas where else to look
Old 01-28-2022, 01:45 AM   #11

THOR #10772
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
The batteries ARE SUPPOSED TO charge while driving (assuming everything is working as it's supposed to).

If you want to stop near Lake City, FL I'd be happy to help you check it out. Just don't bring that Jersey cold weather with you.
Already in Ormond Beach. Just saw hometown is scheduled for a “bombogenesis” winter hurricane. 12”+ snow
Old 01-28-2022, 02:15 AM   #12
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Already in Ormond Beach. Just saw hometown is scheduled for a “bombogenesis” winter hurricane. 12”+ snow
That's a shame, I was in Deland last weekend, right around the corner.
Old 01-30-2022, 07:20 PM   #13

THOR #10772
I think the charging of the house battery is fixed. The use/store switch I think was in the store position. After being on shore power the batteries are now recharged.
As for the 12V DC plugs. The fuse is good although the top got broken trying to take it out so I need to get a new one. Using a light test it shows no charge going to the plug. I have the radio out to reach behind and check. Feels like the wires are connected at the plug so the disconnect is somewhere between the fuse and the plug if I’m figuring this out right. More research info needed.
Old 02-02-2022, 07:29 PM   #14

Model: Vegas 2018 24.1
THOR #12484
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony&Sheryl View Post
Unless you have an inverter. And if you do and run any high amp devices your batteries will die quickly
Old 02-04-2022, 03:43 AM   #15

Model: Delano 24RW
State: Texas
THOR #25563
I really like having the schematics for my 2022 Delano. I can see that the house battery should charge from the chassis battery, regardless of the position of the disconnect switch. I can also see no charging from shore power (my addition in red) if the disconnect switch is open.
If I wasn't charging while driving, (follow the purple arrows) I'd check the chassis battery block fuse, Isolator solenoid and associated wiring. I would disconnect that cable at the battery and check for voltage with engine running. (You need to have a multimeter and know how to use it though, not recommended if you aren't trained in some way) I've looked up those isolator solenoids and they are pretty smart and will only charge the house battery if the chassis battery is above a certain voltage, indicating alternator is running. That way your house battery doesn't vampire your chassis battery!
I replaced my coach battery myself, it was pretty easy. Upgraded from the flooded to a LiFePo 100ah and very happy with it.
I could try to source your schematic and take a look at how it should be wired, barring any changes by service personnel.
Odds are, it's pretty close to this one. What year did you say your Vegas is?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	diagramannotated.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	36012  
Old 02-07-2022, 04:01 PM   #16

Model: Palazzo 33.2
State: Colorado
THOR #6261
I have a question you may know. I was told if I turn the use/store switch to store it will cause the batteries to discharge. Is this correct. I have always put the switch to store and turned the main power switch to off. My batteries(house) will go dead in less than two weeks.
Old 02-07-2022, 09:14 PM   #17

Model: Delano 24RW
State: Texas
THOR #25563
You are doing the right thing, the store position should cause the battery to be disconnected for storage. Test by disconnecting from shore power, turning on some lights (should run from DC power) and putting in store position. If the lights don't go out, you need to check the disconnect relay or switch. If this checks out and your batteries are not bad, then something is discharging them.
Keep in mind that there may be things like CO/LP detectors, steps and leveler/jack controls that are hardwired behind the switch, they might or might not drain your batteries in two weeks, even though everything is good and right. Also, if you have solar, that is wired directly to the battery and parking under cover could cause a drain.
I'd say if you are storing for more than a few weeks, you might want to go ahead and disconnect the batteries. Battery disconnect switches make this easy to do, but not necessarily easy to remember.
Old 02-14-2022, 05:05 PM   #18

State: Louisiana
THOR #16888
Lights not working in house

We found that our house battery needed water and that corrected all issues for us. We even took to dealership and they could not fix.