Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-24-2018, 02:00 PM   #21

State: Alabama
THOR #9516
Joe above makes a good point. Several years ago we were hit with tornados that damaged major power lines. Power was out in most of our area for 8 days. It sure would have been nice to own an RV back then, and a generator would have been a must.

Old 02-27-2018, 04:48 PM   #22

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
James over on thefitrv.com did an all electric conversion a couple years ago I think it was. Big lithium battery and second large alternator.
Worth a look over on their site I think. Very good way to go in my opinion....
Old 02-27-2018, 04:51 PM   #23
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Do you have a link to get us to that story?
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 08:00 PM   #24

State: Texas
THOR #2121
It's a good summary, which also illustrates many problems that should be avoidable if engineered properly by OEM. The high cost and problems with second alternator is great example. Removing an Onan is also wasted cost and effort if it wasn't needed in first place.

https://www.thefitrv.com/rv-tips/our...-and-inverter/
Old 02-27-2018, 09:01 PM   #25
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
http://www.thorforums.com/forums/att...1&d=1519765222

It's nice to know that technology has got us by the ears, and is dragging us forward!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tanks A Bunch.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	180.3 KB
ID:	9194  
Old 02-27-2018, 09:34 PM   #26

Model: Daybreak 22 GOC (aka 22E)
State: Alberta
THOR #7302
No Generator Operations

When we were looking for used RV we looked at a number of restored rigs from companies such as Cruise America, Cruise Canada, and a couple of others. Cruise Canada does not equip there small rigs (thors) with generators. That kept us from buying one. We had camped with a number of other Winnebago rigs smaller eurovan Campers, and larger Eurovan Winnebagos and Itasca Sunstars. We realized we need a generator to run the furnace in the cold spring and fall nights in the mountains in Canada where we live. The campers we encountered without generators were frustrated when camping in campgrounds without power. Our national parks have a lot overflow camping without services.
I have seen a number of rigs without generators that were virtually unsellable.

2014 Thor Freedom Elite 23H
Old 02-27-2018, 10:23 PM   #27

Model: SOB
State: South Dakota
THOR #3916
As for not needing a gennie...until You need a gennie..
Twice I have been in FHU campgrounds/Resorts that lost all power (flash flood that wiped out the only road out and took the power lines with it (4 days with daytime temps in the upper 90's).
And a direct lightning hit on a major substation nearby. (3 days mid 90's to 100's, prepaid for 5 days @ $75 per day, no refunds)
And with the lightening strike many learned their expensive lesson on having a sufficient surge/EMS unit hooked up.
Thor Infinity
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 01:14 AM   #28

THOR #2121
I agree with what's being stated, but also think that comparing a regular RV without a generator to a modern generator-less RV makes little sense. They are too different. Besides, a dedicated high-capacity engine-driven second alternator like most of these rigs have is a generator for all practical purposes.

All motorhomes I've rented had generators, as did my Class C, and I used them very little. I've also rented travel/camping trailers and only one had a generator, which I didn't use at all.

My existing van doesn't have one and really didn't miss it until a little over a year ago when we attended football games and overnighted at a school parking lot. If not for needing air conditioning, I'd never consider a generator. In Europe where temperatures are cooler and many motorhomes don't have A/C, they often don't have generators either. Solar and/or engine alternator is enough to charge batteries when there is no shore power.

In US we expect all motorhomes to have generators, yet few trailers have them although they serve a similar purpose. I guess it depends greatly on how much inconveniences we're willing to tolerate from time to time.
Old 02-28-2018, 01:56 AM   #29
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
I agree with what's being stated, but also think that comparing a regular RV without a generator to a modern generator-less RV makes little sense. They are too different. Besides, a dedicated high-capacity engine-driven second alternator like most of these rigs have is a generator for all practical purposes.

All motorhomes I've rented had generators, as did my Class C, and I used them very little. I've also rented travel/camping trailers and only one had a generator, which I didn't use at all.

My existing van doesn't have one and really didn't miss it until a little over a year ago when we attended football games and overnighted at a school parking lot. If not for needing air conditioning, I'd never consider a generator. In Europe where temperatures are cooler and many motorhomes don't have A/C, they often don't have generators either. Solar and/or engine alternator is enough to charge batteries when there is no shore power.

In US we expect all motorhomes to have generators, yet few trailers have them although they serve a similar purpose. I guess it depends greatly on how much inconveniences we're willing to tolerate from time to time.
TTs may not come with generators but anyone with a TT that boondocks has one; I always had one with my TTs.

The other day I was driving south on I75 from north Florida to the Turnpike through Orlando to the Space Coast. I probably passed a dozen fifth wheels on that trip and 9 or 10 of them had a generator hanging off the back.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 03:24 AM   #30

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfryman View Post
TTs may not come with generators but anyone with a TT that boondocks has one; I always had one with my TTs.

.....cut......
Agree, as do many in Class Bs that don't have built-in Onan-type generators. Many go with portable Hondas to run their A/C.

Looking at original question in first post (copied below), if I literally "only" ran the A/C with shore power, then I'd definitely not have a generator. Air conditioners are by far the main reason I can see for "needing" a generator. Having said that, the newer high-tech systems with 2nd stand-alone alternator, large lithium battery bank, and inverter that can power A/C are tempting, but unless alternator can produce many times the needed A/C load, the engine will be running too frequently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrattan View Post
I've been pondering this question, and I'm wondering if you folks have any insights:
If someone rarely uses their generator, and uses their AC *only* when they have shore power, at what point would it make sense to not have a generator and simply use your engine/alternator in those rare cases when a charge is necessary?
I'm not planning on removing my generator or anything. This is more of a thought exercise than anything else.
Old 02-28-2018, 03:54 AM   #31

Model: Gemini 23TR
State: California
THOR #6701
This is a very interesting thread. Do you or don't you need a generator. In my book that 160 +- pounds are the best weight you can carry. Once lost power in the house for three days and the generator in the RV saved us from 110 degree Arizona summer. You just never know.
Old 02-28-2018, 11:47 AM   #32

THOR #2121
Yes, any generator would have been nice to have during 12 days without power (Hurricane Ike I think) or last August during Harvey flooding. "Need" is relative though because we did survive without one.
Old 02-28-2018, 01:11 PM   #33
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
I agree with what's being stated, but also think that comparing a regular RV without a generator to a modern generator-less RV makes little sense. They are too different.
I'm not sure that I'm comfortable with your descriptions being "Regular", and "Modern".
Wouldn't "Conventional", and "Electric" carry fewer pejorative connotations?
Old 02-28-2018, 05:21 PM   #34

THOR #2121
Semantics.

The point is that if you go out and buy a "regular" Axis (or Chateau Class C or whatever) and then proceed to remove the Onan generator, what's left is functionally very different than a motorhome with a "modern" system like those found in Advanced RV, Hymer, Roadtrek, and now Coachmen.

A lot of replies here stated that you'd never want to live without a generator (implying standard Onan), but the original question wasn't that black and white. To me it asked what other changes would be required in order to ditch the Onan.

At least for many Class B owners the answer is no longer theoretical or hypothetical because they are driving them today.

And these systems are not limited to Class Bs -- they can be scaled in size as needed. I think they are being adopted in Bs first because those buyers are already willing to pay a significant price premium for what they want, which now includes these newer "modern" electric power-generation systems.
Old 02-28-2018, 05:51 PM   #35
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Semantics.
I agree 100%...
But semantics SO make a difference also.

I would feel badly, if somebody reading your post felt somewhat insecure in their purchase; because it was only "regular", and not :modern".
Particularly if they just bought a new 2018 rig!
I personally applaud technological advances...

...even if I have no interest in purchasing it just yet.
Old 02-28-2018, 05:55 PM   #36
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
I've no dog in the fight, so my motto is:

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/att...1&d=1519840534
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1shee3.jpg