Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login

Old 04-01-2017, 03:59 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Ford Investing in V10 Replacement

It seems Ford business-related news is confirming plans to replace the truck V10 with a new and larger truck engine called the 7X. Most early reports mention it being 7 liters in size, but the one claiming 6.9 liters seems more specific to me, like maybe they had inside information.

Higher power and torque, and greater fuel economy than V10 sound promising for larger RVs.

Ford to announce Ontario engine program in boost to Canada automaking: sources | Reuters

https://beta.theglobeandmail.com/rep...beandmail.com&

Old 02-19-2018, 07:29 PM   #2

THOR #2121
Update on 7.xL engine

Had not seen any updates on the V10 replacement until news reports came out a few days ago. The new 7.xL engine plant is under construction and is expected to have engines ready for testing by end of this year. Full production is mentioned in video as May 2019. That should make first engines for 2020 model year vehicles.

https://windsor.ctvnews.ca/work-unde...gine-1.3806712

Other information suggest this "state-of-the-art" new Truck V8 will be a 7.3L based on a Ford oil engine requirement chart (attached).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6033.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	159.8 KB
ID:	9095  
Old 02-25-2018, 03:16 AM   #3

THOR #2121
Cummins bashing Ford V10 ????

Rather than start a new thread, I thought I'd post here since it's related to Ford V10.

Cummins has a new series of short videos addressing the advantages of Diesel Pushers over Gas Motorhomes, but to me they come across as pretty critical of the Ford V10.

I'd be interested in your take. Is this honest advertising or excessive bashing? Timing seems odd too since V10 is nearing its replacement.

Mileage and Range:

Hill Climbing:

Engine Braking:

Noise:

Old 02-25-2018, 03:33 AM   #4

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
Cummins

All well and good to compare the two, but, there has to be a huge price difference, no matter what they say. For some, it is a matter of being able to RV or not doing it at all.
Old 02-25-2018, 05:27 AM   #5

State: Alaska
THOR #8813
Quote:
Originally Posted by axis earl View Post
All well and good to compare the two, but, there has to be a huge price difference, no matter what they say. For some, it is a matter of being able to RV or not doing it at all.

55 Really! Traffic hazard!
Old 02-25-2018, 05:42 AM   #6

Brand: DRV
THOR #3109
Wish they would compare the two in a campground at 6AM when warming up to leave....
2017 F450 KR
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 05:46 AM   #7

State: Alaska
THOR #8813
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut60 View Post
Wish they would compare the two in a campground at 6AM when warming up to leave....

Yep, they are some noisy suckers!
Old 02-25-2018, 05:47 AM   #8

Model: 22FE
State: Washington
THOR #8606
I would have loved to buy a diesel pusher like the one in the video but cost is way outa my ball park. As a retired old guy, I could just barely justify and afford my Class C. And, 55 mph, really?
Old 02-25-2018, 05:51 AM   #9

Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlgorski View Post
55 Really! Traffic hazard!
7 mph.... great if you have the money to get one. Not knocking a diesel but not all are in the market for pocketbook reasons. I don't knock those camping with a pop-up travel trailer and a Toyota truck for the same reason.
Old 02-25-2018, 01:18 PM   #10

THOR #2121
I like Cummins engines a lot, but think the negative tone of the adds may backfire. The ads also make me wonder if Diesel sales are down while smaller rigs have done much better.

If they drove diesel at 55 MPH to get 8 MPG, at what speed did they drive V10 to get 5.6 MPG? Most Class A owners here report much higher fuel economy, and while driving much faster than 55 MPH. And many while pulling a toad.

Some comparisons are valid, like Diesel engine having greater torque and better braking, but I get the feeling comparison was exaggerated to favor the diesel. How often do you see 11% grades? And at what elevation was it tested since that favors any turbocharged engine? Comparing range with 80- versus 100-gallon fuel tank seems odd too.

Anyway, I just find it funny they say your RV is not a race car, but then make a big deal over saving a few seconds up a 1-mile unusually steep hill.
Old 02-25-2018, 01:29 PM   #11
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
If they drove diesel at 55 MPH to get 8 MPG, at what speed did they drive V10 to get 5.6 MPG? Most Class A owners here report much higher fuel economy, and while driving much faster than 55 MPH. And many while pulling a toad.
They probably filled every tank to capacity, drove with the awning deployed, and pulled a toad

A higher compression ratio may be a thing of the past if Mazda has anything to say about it.

I agree with everyone here: Kind of disingenuous comparing the ranges when one coach carries 20 more gallons of fuel.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 02:05 PM   #12
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
There's an old saying: "Figures don't lie; but liars can figure."
These rigs were never bought for their fantastic fuel economy. It's just good to know that the manufacturers are constantly working on the technology.
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 03:11 PM   #13

Model: Axis 24.2
State: Idaho
THOR #1944
Most motor choices in RVs today outlive the boxes they haul. The belief that diesels have more torque is only true when they do ... but very false when they don't. Example: V10 vs. MB in the Sprinter chassis. I've had a few CTD trucks and while I'm an old diesel lover, I got a gas truck this time around (the reason list is long).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
There's an old saying: "Figures don't lie; but liars can figure." ...
Alternate Facts are alive and well, especially in social media. Facts about MPG or power are rarely compared in equal context.
Old 02-25-2018, 03:17 PM   #14
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
"Alternate facts": I think that I majored in them; in College!

...About a thousand years ago...
Old 02-25-2018, 03:26 PM   #15

Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
Talking about the V10, how about the new FORD 10 speed transmission coming out in their F-150. Supposed to be approx same size and weight as the 6 Speed with significantly improved gas mileage. Might be the next good reason to trade in my Axis for a new model. Although DW doesn’t particularly like the new interior.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	089D8B4F-C482-4BEB-B1BA-434800A97F2D.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	127.4 KB
ID:	9161  
Old 02-25-2018, 03:52 PM   #16

Model: 22FE
State: Washington
THOR #8606
I do like the fact that diesels have in general more torque at lower rpm as compared to most gasoline engines. I've had several cars and pickup trucks with diesel engines and have all good to say about all of them but I own/Wife's car, Volvo 3.0 inline 6 cyl. engine with twin turbo and the larger turbo is engineered to provide low end power and torque also preventing any turbo lag. Very nicely engineered engine design. Volvo really did a great job at designing it IMO. Curious why Ford didn't offer turbo system on the V10. May not be a possible thing to do, but if it was, would possibly make a big difference in power band, more torque on lower rpm end and maybe better fuel mileage.
Old 02-25-2018, 03:53 PM   #17
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
I LIKE the idea of more gears. It'll probably take some serious upgrading, to have it make the leap from a half-ton truck: to what we might put it through.
Old 02-25-2018, 04:07 PM   #18

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
They probably filled every tank to capacity, drove with the awning deployed, and pulled a toad

A higher compression ratio may be a thing of the past if Mazda has anything to say about it.

I agree with everyone here: Kind of disingenuous comparing the ranges when one coach carries 20 more gallons of fuel.

Higher compression ratio can certainly improve fuel economy, which is why everyone has been trying to do that for so long. What I'm really curious about is how "state-of-the-art" the new V8 that replaces the V10 will be.

If we look at the very newest Ford naturally-aspirated engines tuned for pickups (the F-150s), they have 12:1 compression ratio, which is way higher than the 9.2:1 of the V10. They also have 4-valve DOHC, variable valve timing, direct injection plus port injection, and so on. All this yields 80 lb-ft of torque per liter, and a lot of HP per liter too.

Assuming the new V8 is indeed 7.3 liters as expected, if Ford uses the same technology, the engine could end up with over 550 lb-ft of torque, and 450~500 HP, depending on how conservative they want to play it for heavy truck use. I suppose Ford could tune it way down so it doesn't compete with their own Power Stroke diesels.

When introduced in SuperDuty pickups, the new V8 is also expected to have a 10-speed heavier-duty transmission (10R140), which should eventually help close the performance gap between diesel and gas RVs. I think Cummins may be a little worried.
Old 02-25-2018, 04:15 PM   #19

Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
I LIKE the idea of more gears. It'll probably take some serious upgrading, to have it make the leap from a half-ton truck: to what we might put it through.
It took several years for the 6 speed to move from the 5.7L V8 to the 6.8L V10. So it will probably be several years before we see it in the V10. You have to believe that FORD and Chevy (joint project) engineered it to eventually be used with their larger engines in their larger vehicles.
Old 02-25-2018, 04:47 PM   #20

Model: A.C.E 29.3
State: Ohio
THOR #1620
I had a Monacrapo DP had the ISB engine, was only a 32' and was lucky to get 8mpg.That diesel was $40k more than a comparable coach. Yes it did have good power but having more than you need is a waste. Maintenance is also another factor, the coolant was very specific to keep from doing damage to the engine. twice as may quarts of oil at a minimum. As said very loud when idling in the morning and I hated that if I knew we had to leave early in a morning. Repairs are limited to where you can get it worked on compared to the V10 which you could have serviced at any garage. I think they are grasping for business.

I would never buy another diesel just due to the cost over a gas coach.
Camping World Indianapolis, worst dealer EVER experienced
thor293 is offline   Reply With Quote