Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-26-2019, 08:35 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 30.3
State: Washington
THOR #10467
What type of battery inverter does Thor use?

I have a 2017 Thor ACE and would like to know if it may have what I think is called a "three stage inverter", that is one that will change to a "maintain" level once the batteries are charged? If it does, will it prevent the batteries from overcharging and/or sulfating during long term storage (several weeks or more)? Or, should I purchase a timer that I can plug into an electrical outlet so the motor home will get power one or two days a week?

Old 01-26-2019, 09:26 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpbain1 View Post
I have a 2017 Thor ACE and would like to know if it may have what I think is called a "three stage inverter", that is one that will change to a "maintain" level once the batteries are charged? If it does, will it prevent the batteries from overcharging and/or sulfating during long term storage (several weeks or more)? Or, should I purchase a timer that I can plug into an electrical outlet so the motor home will get power one or two days a week?
Plant 750 generally uses World Family Company(WFCO) converters converting 120 Volt A/C into 12 volt DC. An inverter (plant 750 uses Xantrex inverters) inverts 12 volt DC current from the batteries into 120 volt A/C current. The type of converter you have is listed on the unit under the bed or in the installed equipment list pasted to the inside of a bedroom closet door. If it is a 30 amp coach, it is a WFCO 8955 which is indeed a 3 stage charging system (bulk, absorption and float) that can output up to 55 amps at 14.4 volts. If you have a 50 amp coach, you will have a WFCO 9560 power center which does the same thing. There are other manufactures that make 4 stage chargers with the fourth stage being equalization. This involves over charging the battery sufficiently to cause out-gassing of the electrolyte. This stirs up the electrolyte which has a tendency to stratify if the battery is not shaken regularly. Water must be added after equalization.

As a note - all batteries sulfate if left partially discharged for any time; the more time and the deeper the discharge the more sulfation. Sulfation can be removed by careful application of an alternating current and the sulfate will drop to the bottom of the tank, but usually it cannot be reabsorbed.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote