Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-30-2014, 06:35 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 34E
State: California
THOR #937
Replacement for the OEM Jensen JRV212T?

My motorhome's radio still works fine.

However, based on all of the posts about dead radios and non-working cameras, I'd like to be prepared for the inevitable.

Is there another entertainment head unit that handles three camera inputs? And, preferably works in conjunction with the turn signals, and reverse shift selector just like the Jensen JRV212T.

Old 12-30-2014, 07:36 PM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
The turn signal and reverse inputs are just 12V trigger inputs. You can find an auto-crossover switch that performs those tasks. Then you can use any radio system with a video input.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 01:27 AM   #3

Model: Miramar 34.2
State: New York
THOR #1169
Jensen has a replacement for the 212T. If my unit fails, again, I will look into the newer model. I would also consider another brand, but would need to add some components to enable all three cameras to work automatically. Otherwise, I would only have 1 camera.
Old 12-31-2014, 05:26 AM   #4

Model: Miramar 33.5
State: Washington
THOR #578
I've been searching, anybody have any idea if this unit would work? It has built in GPS and all the goodies! Not sure about the cameras?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...f_rd_i=desktop
Old 12-31-2014, 08:53 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Model: 2011 Four Winds 28Z
THOR #531
As JamieGeek mentioned, you can buy a video switcher for your camera that allows you to switch one of three or four camera video sources to a single output. That output then goes to a stereo system having only one camera input.

The Jensen system is unusual in that it can handle three video camera inputs, so it has the left/right turn and backup wires already run to the unit. Most stereo systems of course only have one switch.

To use one of the aftermarket video switches, you would simply hook the cameras to the switch, the switch to the stereo display, and the left/right turn/backup signals to the switch.

Here is an example of this product - it is available in 2 or 4 camera switches:

CSP - SecurView? Video Switching Systems

For 3 cameras, use the 4 camera switch and just leave one position unused... or be creative and install a 4th camera on your rig... perhaps an overhead camera to check roof clearance on gas station plazas, etc.

It appears this unit also powers the various cameras so when you turn the ignition off, the camera(s) power is removed.

You may also need to wire the stereo's backup camera turn-on input so that the camera is always on, or perhaps use a set of steering diodes to combine all of the camera power leads to the stereo's backup camera turn-on input. It will depend on your stereo system.

An even crazier idea for the 4 camera switch (that has a wired remote as a second camera controller) is to buy a joystick switch and mount it into the armrest of your coach for the remote switch... something like this top-hat:

You could then manually override the camera that is selected with the joystick. or simply use the switch pad it comes with.

How cool would that be?
Old 12-31-2014, 05:42 PM   #6

THOR #937
Quote:
Originally Posted by streamcamper View Post
Jensen has a replacement for the 212T.
Streamcamper,

What model number is the replacement? It's not shown on their website.
Old 12-31-2014, 05:58 PM   #7

THOR #578
FW28z,

That is exactly what I was looking for! I could even run a video output back to my main TV and gang could follow our progress on the GPS!!!

Great idea, thank you!!

Brian
Old 12-31-2014, 05:58 PM   #8

THOR #937
Quote:
Originally Posted by FW28z View Post
An even crazier idea for the 4 camera switch (that has a wired remote as a second camera controller) is to buy a joystick switch and mount it into the armrest of your coach for the remote switch... something like this top-hat:

You could then manually override the camera that is selected with the joystick. or simply use the switch pad it comes with.

How cool would that be?

Very cool! Joystick camera control.

I'll have to find other uses for the joystick..... Visions of "upgrading" and modding my Hurricane into the incognito 21st century version of Urban Assault Vehicle from the movie Stripes.

Old 12-31-2014, 06:02 PM   #9

THOR #578
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacher View Post
Very cool! Joystick camera control.

I'll have to find other uses for the joystick..... Visions of "upgrading" and modding my Hurricane into the incognito 21st century version of Urban Assault Vehicle from the movie Stripes.

I love that movie, where is the "The Big Toe, Sgt. Hulka??"

BOOM-SHOCK-ALAKA!!!!
Old 01-20-2015, 09:11 PM   #10

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Georgia
THOR #1460
There is a replacement for the 212T. I just had it installed andit is compatible with the voyager camera system. It is the Jensen JRV215N.It has built in GPS and Bluetooth.
I have used it for a few trips and it is much better than the 212T. If anyone has questions just post.
Old 01-20-2015, 09:31 PM   #11

THOR #578
Thanks for that report, it looks like it uses the i-go mapping database for the gps. Anybody know if you can find the rand McNally gps in a in-dash model?

I've seen a couple coaches that had in-dash stereo systems installed and they were using the rand McNally gps, which has the RV friendly routing system!

Any ideas???
Thanks,
Old 12-22-2015, 07:54 PM   #12

State: Maryland
THOR #421
I know this is an old thread, but my JRV212T finally died after intermittent failures. Of course Thor nor ASA will do nothing, so it renders it an $800 paperweight. Reviews of Jensen products are horrible, especially given the price. I opted for the Pioneer AVH170DVD. It's a name brand product, with great reviews and can be had on Amazon for about $160.00. You will need the emergency brake bypass kit for $13.00 to use the DVD and a camera 4 pin to RCA adapter. All in about $180.00. MUCH cheaper than anything I looked at. It has everything except nav, and there is a model with blue tooth although aux and IPhone inputs are already included in the cheaper model.
Old 12-23-2015, 12:08 AM   #13
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
THOR #1150
Did you look at the 212 replacement thread (replace it with the 215)?
http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f27...rade-1105.html
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 11:53 PM   #14

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #3186
I replaced mine with the 215N, simple.
Old 05-13-2016, 08:06 PM   #15

State: Arkansas
THOR #2540
I know this is an old thread but my JRV 212T just failed on my 2014 Tuscany 40 XTE. No problems with it before, Just turned it on one morning as I go ready to leave and nothing happened. RV repair guy said it is a bad unit and the new replacements for that unit will start being shipped June 1.. Good thing I got the extended warranty on the RV.
Old 05-13-2016, 08:10 PM   #16

THOR #937
Quote:
Originally Posted by camato5 View Post
...RV repair guy said it is a bad unit and the new replacements for that unit will start being shipped June 1.. ......

What are they going to be shipping on June 1? What make, model?
Old 05-13-2016, 08:17 PM   #17

State: Arkansas
THOR #2540
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacher View Post
What are they going to be shipping on June 1? What make, model?
He could not tell me. He is waiting on Jensen to tell them the replacement model and price. Need the price for the warranty folks. Once I find out I will post.
Old 11-06-2018, 06:43 PM   #18

Model: ACE 30.1
State: Alabama
THOR #5884
Replaced JRV212t with JRV9000R

My JRV212t went out in three years. I bought a refurbished unit and it lasted about a year. After much research I discovered that I could buy another type unit and get a separate switch for the cameras, but that it might not work as well with the Jensen cameras in the coach. It also might not let me display the backup camera while driving - only in reverse. I called a couple of local car stereo places and they had no suggestions. I called Jensen and they recommended the JRV9000. I bought the recommended wiring harness and made the switch. With the harness, I could simply plug everything up and not splice any wires. The unit came with a gps antenna because it has navigation, which I routed to the dash. It also came with an external mic for Bluetooth connection to my phone. Originally the screen was a little dim, but there is an adjustment under settings that took care of it. The new unit works great! I was able to install it in about an hour. Someone with more experience could probably do it quicker. It seems to be much better quality and has a lot more functionality.
Old 02-24-2019, 04:01 AM   #19

State: Oregon
THOR #8222
3rd replacement for JRV212T

How did the JRV9000 replacement work out?
Old 03-05-2019, 04:46 PM   #20

State: Oregon
THOR #8222
Inexpensive replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Way2Roll View Post
I know this is an old thread, but my JRV212T finally died after intermittent failures. Of course Thor nor ASA will do nothing, so it renders it an $800 paperweight. Reviews of Jensen products are horrible, especially given the price. I opted for the Pioneer AVH170DVD. It's a name brand product, with great reviews and can be had on Amazon for about $160.00. You will need the emergency brake bypass kit for $13.00 to use the DVD and a camera 4 pin to RCA adapter. All in about $180.00. MUCH cheaper than anything I looked at. It has everything except nav, and there is a model with blue tooth although aux and IPhone inputs are already included in the cheaper model.