Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-21-2023, 07:16 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: California
THOR #28662
Winegard 2.0

We have a 2023 Thor Sanctuary that came with Winegard 2.0. I am wanting to work remote full time while driving, but we keep losing connection. Does anyone know why I would be losing connection? We have to turn the off the main power to get it restored. Or is there a better option for Wi-Fi?

Old 01-21-2023, 07:34 PM   #2

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
Are you dropping your cellular data connection or the WiFi connection?

I have the same unit and have never had any WiFi connectivity issues. When I was using the Cellular capability with AT&T it worked well as long as there was AT&T coverage.

I have since switched to Starlink for RV and also T-Mobile Home for my data connection. I still use the Winegard WiFi option and have no connectivity issues.
Old 01-21-2023, 09:14 PM   #3

THOR #28662
We are dropping Wi-Fi connection.
Old 01-21-2023, 09:18 PM   #4
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by socalsanctuary View Post
What are you using for the WiFi source or service? A weak WiFi source will cause the Winegard to drop the signal.
Old 01-21-2023, 09:23 PM   #5
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Interior WIF?

Are you connected to external WIFI? Or use a cell provider with the integrated 4G modem?
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2023, 09:24 PM   #6

THOR #12751
Quote:
I assume you mean you are dropping the WiFi from your laptop / tablet / phone to the Winegard and not the Winegard dropping a bridge connection to another WiFi system since you said you are trying to work while the coach is moving / driving.

Have you logged into the Winegard to see if there is an update for it? I have updated the firmware in my unit several times. Those updates can fix bugs and problems with connectivity.
Old 01-21-2023, 11:12 PM   #7

THOR #28662
T-Mobile
Old 01-21-2023, 11:14 PM   #8

THOR #28662
Thank you. Where do you login/get the updates?
Old 01-21-2023, 11:17 PM   #9

THOR #12751
Quote:
Thank you. Where do you login/get the updates?
Watch this video and / or read the manual to learn how to log into the Winegard ConnecT 2....

https://youtu.be/nr6OYldQmeY

Here is the update procedure from the manual...

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/13...35.html?page=7
Old 01-21-2023, 11:47 PM   #10

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
So you're using a T-Mobile sim card in the Winegard? Then using the Winegard as a WiFi hotspot?

We found that by the time we jumped through all the hoops to get that configured, the Winegard was the bottleneck - slowing everything down.

We switched to Verizon which included free hotspot on our phones... so we just mothballed the Winegard.

In our case, the Winegard isn't anything special as far as boosting the signal. The BIG difference is the quality of the cell signal you're actually receiving. As above, throwing the Winegard into the mix as a middleman actually made things worse.

There's a lot of helpful videos out there explaining how to get good cell signal for working from the road. They ALL come back to location... you MUST be in an area with towers nearby. No amount of boosting will create a strong enough "data signal" if nothing's there to begin with.
Old 01-22-2023, 12:02 AM   #11

THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
So you're using a T-Mobile sim card in the Winegard? Then using the Winegard as a WiFi hotspot?

We found that by the time we jumped through all the hoops to get that configured, the Winegard was the bottleneck - slowing everything down.

We switched to Verizon which included free hotspot on our phones... so we just mothballed the Winegard.

In our case, the Winegard isn't anything special as far as boosting the signal. The BIG difference is the quality of the cell signal you're actually receiving. As above, throwing the Winegard into the mix as a middleman actually made things worse.

There's a lot of helpful videos out there explaining how to get good cell signal for working from the road. They ALL come back to location... you MUST be in an area with towers nearby. No amount of boosting will create a strong enough "data signal" if nothing's there to begin with.

I use the Winegard to always connect to my smart TV’s and any 2.4GHz only devices. I’ll connect our laptops and tablets directly to the Starlink Router or TMobile Home Gateway for max speed.

I never have any WiFi issues with the Winegard. I can stream TV and movies reliably through the Winegard connected to Starlink or TMobile.
Old 01-22-2023, 12:15 AM   #12

THOR #28662
So we currently have Verizon as our cell phone provider. Are you suggesting that when I’m working that I just connect to my personal hotspot instead of trying to go through Winegard. Do you use anything to boost your signal? Sorry, I’m very new to all this!
Old 01-22-2023, 12:17 AM   #13

THOR #16721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
I use the Winegard to always connect to my smart TV’s and any 2.4GHz only devices. I’ll connect our laptops and tablets directly to the Starlink Router or TMobile Home Gateway for max speed.

I never have any WiFi issues with the Winegard. I can stream TV and movies reliably through the Winegard connected to Starlink or TMobile.
The WiFi signal from the Winegard was very strong... it even broadcasts a strong signal into our house from the backyard storage spot. I found the WiFi wasn't the issue... it was the underlying cell data transported on the WiFi carrier.

So... the comment about updating firmware likely would improve our situation... but we just moved on to phone based hotspots.
Old 01-22-2023, 12:17 AM   #14

THOR #28662
If we only want the WiFi for internet, so I can work and we can use ipad
Old 01-22-2023, 12:23 AM   #15

THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
The WiFi signal from the Winegard was very strong... it even broadcasts a strong signal into our house from the backyard storage spot. I found the WiFi wasn't the issue... it was the underlying cell data transported on the WiFi carrier.

So... the comment about updating firmware likely would improve our situation... but we just moved on to phone based hotspots.

When I used an AT&T Sim in the Winegard, it worked well. When my phone was spotty the Winegard woild actually connect better being on the roof with external antennas. There were a few updates from Winegard when I first started using it.

Ultimately you can’t get cellular coverage everywhere so that’s why I went with Starlink…. and also bring the TMobile Home Gateway for Internet while we are moving.
Old 01-22-2023, 12:27 AM   #16

THOR #12751
Quote:
So we currently have Verizon as our cell phone provider. Are you suggesting that when I’m working that I just connect to my personal hotspot instead of trying to go through Winegard. Do you use anything to boost your signal? Sorry, I’m very new to all this!

So are you a actually dropping the WiFi signal or are you losing your Internet connection?

They are two competing different problems.

If you are losing your Internet connection, then it has everything to do with the cellular provider, their sognal and connectivity via the Winegard.

If your WiFi connection is dropping and you have to reconnect your device all the time, that is a WiFi router issue with the Winegard.
Old 01-22-2023, 01:10 AM   #17

THOR #16721
I would suggest you try different scenarios. Try connecting with the Winegard, then try your phone hotspot. But if the WiFi is dropping on the Winegard, like Judge said... that's another can of worms you'll have to sort out FIRST. Because without WiFi, the Winegard cannot broadcast your hotspot.
Old 01-22-2023, 02:32 AM   #18

Model: Aria 3401
State: Washington
THOR #22245
Quote:
If we only want the WiFi for internet, so I can work and we can use ipad
SO up here in the coastal northwest cell coverage where we go just blows. Gave up on the Winegard. We take grandkids lot and the cost for data with the SIM card was just not worth it. Starlink has been awesome.
Retired US Navy Corpsman HMC(SW)(FMF)
HMCSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 03:03 AM   #19

THOR #28662
Thank you! I appreciate all your help!
Old 01-22-2023, 09:46 AM   #20

Model: Quantum JM31
State: Tennessee
THOR #21926
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
When I used an AT&T Sim in the Winegard, it worked well. When my phone was spotty the Winegard woild actually connect better being on the roof with external antennas. There were a few updates from Winegard when I first started using it.

Ultimately you can’t get cellular coverage everywhere so that’s why I went with Starlink…. and also bring the TMobile Home Gateway for Internet while we are moving.
We also are having good luck with an AT&T Prepaid Sim Card in the Winegard 2.0. The Winegard being on the roof with a larger antenna than a cell phone or a hotspot picks up the cell signal when the cellphone does not. We started with a Verizon sim card in the Winegard and found they were always slowing it down and giving priority to other traffic. We decided to switch to AT&T and have found the coverage to be better than Verizon and so far they have not been throttling back the speed. We connect our laptop and our Roku to the Winegard and stream movies and live TV.
Bob Nodine is offline   Reply With Quote