Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-09-2021, 10:58 AM   #181

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by ador View Post
I am still not able to use my Winegard using 4G. As previously posted, I was able to connect to my Home Wifi, to test connectivity when we are at the campground that have Wifi.

Im still trying to figure out a way to get internet connection while on the road. Can’t go with Verizon since our current phone carrier is AT&T. Rep suggested to add a “Hot Spot” option to see if I can tap the Winegard to AT&T “Hot Spot” line. I thought someone here said we can use Hot Spot connection with Winegard? Any thoughts or suggestion on how to do that? I just spent over an hour playing around with Winegard configuration and not getting any connection.

You can get an AT&T Plan for the Winegard. The $360 per Year Unlimited Plan is now gone but there are 5 other plans (the left side below). You need an AT&T Data Sim and install it in the Winegard.

https://www.att.com/plans/connected-car/togo-roadlink/

You can also use the SIM that comes with the unit and get a Winegard Plan (the right side below):

https://winegard.com/plans/cellular-data/winegard
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-05-09 at 6.59.09 AM.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	30354   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-05-09 at 6.58.50 AM.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	105.8 KB
ID:	30355  

Old 05-09-2021, 12:38 PM   #182

Model: Four Winds 26B
State: Ohio
THOR #20900
Hotspot: Call AT&T and have them enable hotspots for your phone. (They don't do that automatically. It doesn't cost anything if you have an appropriate data plan already, but they make you ask.) Turn on the hotspot on your phone, go into settings on the phone, get the SID and password for it. After that, it's just like connecting the Winegard to home or local WiFi, except that it's using your phone (and data plan) for the data connection.
Old 05-09-2021, 01:27 PM   #183
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
I’ve been using the Winegard plan and all of a sudden the system gives me a message saying No Sim Detected. Thoughts?

Trying to clear out of the sticks and brink to go live with selling so time is at a premium right now and I’ll have to wait to dig into it until the end of the week.
Old 05-09-2021, 02:13 PM   #184

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Hi ador search for my post showing screen shots.
Also if you call winegard Monday they will walk you through
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 07:32 PM   #185

Model: ACE 33.1
State: Nevada
THOR #21278
Hello atreis. We already activated/added the Hot Spot option on our AT&T plan.

I followed the instruction you mentioned below. Got my SID and password for the Hot Spot. When I try to connect to the "INTERNET ACCESS" icon on the Winegard ConnectT, I click on the "WiFi". Then I click on the 'SCAN FOR WIFI" blue tab. It picks up all available Wifi Signal. I don't see anything that resembles my Hot Spot account (SID). I enter it manually. Then it ask for my password. When I enter my password and hit "connect", the connection of Winegard Account to my Antenna gets kicked out. Not sure what I am doing wrong. Any other suggestions?

I will also email Winegard Support to ask what their thoughts on Hot Spot connection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atreis View Post
Hotspot: Call AT&T and have them enable hotspots for your phone. (They don't do that automatically. It doesn't cost anything if you have an appropriate data plan already, but they make you ask.) Turn on the hotspot on your phone, go into settings on the phone, get the SID and password for it. After that, it's just like connecting the Winegard to home or local WiFi, except that it's using your phone (and data plan) for the data connection.
ador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 07:34 PM   #186

THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
I’ve been using the Winegard plan and all of a sudden the system gives me a message saying No Sim Detected. Thoughts?

Trying to clear out of the sticks and brink to go live with selling so time is at a premium right now and I’ll have to wait to dig into it until the end of the week.

Dave.... I had this issue and pwoer-cycled the Winegard Connect and it solved the problem.

However, another member posted they had issues and Winegard acknowledged a issue with the older Cellular Modem assembly. They shipped him a replacement module.

If mine acts up again, I am going to see if Winegard with ship me a new modem assembly.
Old 05-09-2021, 07:37 PM   #187

Model: ACE 33.1
State: Nevada
THOR #21278
Judge, if I am still not able to use the Hot Spot, I will try that Pay as You Go Winegard plan. A bit pricey. But at least it give me an option to buy it only when I need it. That will be my next step in trying to have signal while on the road. How do I purchase that monthly plan? There is no Link to purchase on that website. It just explain what you can get.

Thanks for the suggestion.
ador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 10:10 PM   #188
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
Dave.... I had this issue and pwoer-cycled the Winegard Connect and it solved the problem.

However, another member posted they had issues and Winegard acknowledged a issue with the older Cellular Modem assembly. They shipped him a replacement module.

If mine acts up again, I am going to see if Winegard with ship me a new modem assembly.
Hopefully things will settle down in a day two and I’ll give Winegard a call.
Old 05-09-2021, 11:24 PM   #189

THOR #12751
Quote:
Judge, if I am still not able to use the Hot Spot, I will try that Pay as You Go Winegard plan. A bit pricey. But at least it give me an option to buy it only when I need it. That will be my next step in trying to have signal while on the road. How do I purchase that monthly plan? There is no Link to purchase on that website. It just explain what you can get.

You should be able to use your phone as a HotSpot and then connect the Winegard to it. I will give it a try and confirm that I can make it work.

In any case, you just use the Winegard phone app to make the purchase I believe. You connect the app to the Wingard unit and if you have the stock Winegard SIM in it, you should be able to sign up for one of the plans.
Old 05-09-2021, 11:46 PM   #190

THOR #12751
Quote:

I was able to connect the Winegard to my iPhone as a Hotspot. It worked just fine. The second WiFi on the list is my cell phone Hotspot.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0215.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	130.0 KB
ID:	30396
Old 05-10-2021, 12:23 AM   #191

THOR #20220
Keep in mind ..I see no signal a lot on the road with my phone so hotspot will be spotty..but my winegard will pick up the 4g signal stronger than my phone..there may be a winegard software update you do from your computer..download att or Verizon software and install. Will reboot winegard and mine worked and has never stopped working..for $20 month my phone has had no signal and winegard 3 or 4 bars
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
Old 05-10-2021, 12:28 AM   #192
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubawise View Post
Keep in mind ..I see no signal a lot on the road with my phone so hotspot will be spotty..but my winegard will pick up the 4g signal stronger than my phone..there may be a winegard software update you do from your computer..download att or Verizon software and install. Will reboot winegard and mine worked and has never stopped working..for $20 month my phone has had no signal and winegard 3 or 4 bars
You do not download any AT&T or Verizon software. You install one or the others SIM and sign up for a data plan.

The Winegard system has quite a few dead spots as well. I believe they claim to use AT&T towers.
Old 05-10-2021, 12:30 AM   #193

THOR #20220
I had to 100% download a package to my computer and install to wingard using the 10.xxx address
Old 05-10-2021, 12:31 AM   #194

THOR #20220
And we tested att and Verizon..Verizon 75% more connections..our att friends use our winegard
Old 05-10-2021, 12:33 AM   #195

THOR #20220
Att is a failed connection model..I am a 35 year tech and in many places me and many friends no or low signal even in Northern Arizona and Maui hawaii..same place verizon 100%
Old 05-10-2021, 12:41 AM   #196
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubawise View Post
I had to 100% download a package to my computer and install to wingard using the 10.xxx address
I connect using Safari and the Winegard supplied IP. I did download the Winegard App for my iPhone. Never had to download any software to my MacBook.
Old 05-15-2021, 04:57 PM   #197

Model: Four Winds 31W
State: Texas
THOR #20738
I have the Winegard but the speeds are ridiculously slow, even when the connect 2.0 is connected to my home wifi (450mps download) I only get 15mbps via the winegard. My cellphone will get 50+ mbps sat in the RV but the winegard only 2 or 3 mbps on the same provider. Useless speeds for family use.
Old 05-15-2021, 08:28 PM   #198

THOR #20220
My winegard wifi and 4g has worked great..hardly any 4g reception in my house and right outside winegard great signal ..if I connect my Samsung note to winegard as wifi it is still faster than home 4g
Old 06-20-2021, 06:33 PM   #199

Model: Thor Sequence 20L
THOR #23892
Wow, thanks for this. I use Google Fi, too and I have a data SIM sitting on my desk that I ordered for it but I read somewhere that it wouldn't work.
Will install as soon as I get an adapter.

Thor Sequence 20L
Old 06-20-2021, 07:35 PM   #200

THOR #20220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nethers View Post
I have the Winegard but the speeds are ridiculously slow, even when the connect 2.0 is connected to my home wifi (450mps download) I only get 15mbps via the winegard. My cellphone will get 50+ mbps sat in the RV but the winegard only 2 or 3 mbps on the same provider. Useless speeds for family use.
You may want to do a winegard software update. I had it check and the update was done..strange winegard slower on same network