Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-23-2020, 07:01 PM   #121

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 25.5
State: Florida
THOR #12686
Another point I should mention. Cricket data speed may be less than AT&T since the parent company always gets priority during congestion. We were in St Augustine for a day during a recent trip and we did have some buffering while watching youtube videos. We lowered the quality to standard definition and it was fine. Didn't have the buffering while using slingbox from our home Spectrum DVR. Also had good speed while in Savannah. In high def we were still able to watch with little to no buffering. This may depend on the area you are in. I am on the east coast of central Florida and the speeds are very good here. It also worked fine on a trip to north central Alabama. When I first decided to try this, I figured for the price, it was worth the risk. If it didn't work well, I can cancel at any time. It is a "no contract" plan. I suggest starting with the lowest amount of data (20g for $35) and the activation fee is $25. That's a cheap experiment. So far, worth it.

pavemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 11:28 PM   #122

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: New York
THOR #5875
Quote:
Originally Posted by pavemike View Post
After purchasing a sim card and account, make sure to keep your receipt, it has the phone number for the card. You will need this when setting up the Cricket app. With power off, insert the full size sim card into the Winegard router. Power it up by turning on the RV battery and router switch if applicable. I suggest NOT using the Winegard app for set up. It may not show you the features you will need. Instead, open the internet browser on your phone or whatever device that are using for your apps. In the address bar type: 10.11.12.1 and it will open the Winegard app in the browser. Username will already show as “admin”. Default password is also “admin”. Click the “Navigate to Page” dropdown menu. Then, select “Change Provider”. On the next page leave the provider as AT&T (Cricket is AT&T). In the box labeled “Cellular APN” type in “ndo”. That is the APN for Cricket. Next, click on the “Change Provider” button. This will take you back to the main page where you will select “4G”. All Done. Internet should be working. Test it.
Next step is to install and setup the app on your phone or other device. Shut off power to the router. Remove the sim card. Punch out whatever size sim fits your phone or other device. Install the “My Cricket” app on your phone. Remove your phone’s sim and install the Cricket sim. Open the My Cricket app and follow the setup. This is where you need the phone number for the sim. Once your app is setup, swap the sim cards back to their original places in life, you know, the router and phone. Turn on the router and live RV life to the fullest. Open the Cricket app and it will show real time data usage. You will also pay your bill on the app and can change plans, purchase more data or suspend it.

I ran over to a Cricket store and bought a card and 20gig of data, installed it in about 5 minutes using your instructions...WORKS GREAT!!! Thanks for the great information.
Old 10-24-2020, 12:24 PM   #123

Model: Vegas 25.5
THOR #12686
Quote:
Originally Posted by upnyfolks View Post
I ran over to a Cricket store and bought a card and 20gig of data, installed it in about 5 minutes using your instructions...WORKS GREAT!!! Thanks for the great information.
Great. Glad to hear it's working. After using it for a while, let us know how it works on the road and how consistent it is.
pavemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 01:37 PM   #124

Model: Hurricane 35m
State: North Carolina
THOR #13505
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
Not sure what is happening but I am repeatedly getting a 4G ac cess denied message when attempting to use the Winegard 4G feature using the Winegard data plan. It seems to happen around mid morning to early evening and then I'll be able to connect around 9:00 PM.

This trip is the first experience with this issue.

Anyone experience this?
Reboot and see if that helps. I have been in a few places where there is only one tower around and i have left you tube or something running for a while and they will cut me off! Was in outer banks last month and had 100% connection to Tower and I would get cut off for part of the day if I hit the internet hard streaming shows or movies during the day.

Going get try one of those cricket cards! Good info!
Old 10-29-2020, 01:11 AM   #125

State: Texas
THOR #20744
Mine has the password near the bottom of the unit under a clear plastic cover next to the green led light.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	passwod location.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	101.6 KB
ID:	26938  
Old 10-29-2020, 01:17 AM   #126

THOR #20744
Winegard Connect2 mounting location

Where is the best place to mount the Winegard Connect2 on the roof of my Chateau 31W?
Old 10-29-2020, 02:04 AM   #127
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by klrock View Post
Where is the best place to mount the Winegard Connect2 on the roof of my Chateau 31W?
Instructions tell you where to mount it. Rear center.

You can see mine just forward of the rear AC unit.

Name:	Accolade Roof 05102020.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	191.5 KB
ID:	26941

Name:	Accolade Roof 1.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	149.7 KB
ID:	26942
Old 10-29-2020, 04:14 AM   #128

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
I called winegard and had password reset..book did not work .also see my post ..$20 and install verizon card in winegard and get 15Gb
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 11:46 AM   #129

THOR #20744
Thank you for your input. I had already read and noted the Winegard directions and although rear center could work, it is not the only answer. The diagram show the unit sitting closer to the front than the rear. It also states that the centerline of the unit should be on or parallel to the centerline of the vehicle.
Although my question was not specific enough, my concern is to avoid drilling any holes in the roof that cause damage to the structure of the roof. I am not familiar with the construction of the area between the roof and the ceiling inside.
What is the recommended sealant to seal the holes in the roof?
Old 10-29-2020, 12:01 PM   #130
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by klrock View Post
Thank you for your input. I had already read and noted the Winegard directions and although rear center could work, it is not the only answer. The diagram show the unit sitting closer to the front than the rear. It also states that the centerline of the unit should be on or parallel to the centerline of the vehicle.
Although my question was not specific enough, my concern is to avoid drilling any holes in the roof that cause damage to the structure of the roof. I am not familiar with the construction of the area between the roof and the ceiling inside.
What is the recommended sealant to seal the holes in the roof?
You may want to go out to the Thor owner resources site and download the structural diagrams for your roof. If not on the owners resource site you can contact Thor and they'll send the diagrams to you.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 12:26 PM   #131

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
THOR #12751
On my 2020 Magnitude SV34, Thor installed the Winegard ConnecT 2 in the right front portion of the roof.

This is typically where I see a lot of TV antennas. The Thor version of the ConnecT 2 does have a built in HD TV antenna as well so that may be why they selected that location.
Old 11-16-2020, 03:35 PM   #132

Brand: Still Looking
THOR #2970
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
Not sure what is happening but I am repeatedly getting a 4G ac cess denied message when attempting to use the Winegard 4G feature using the Winegard data plan. It seems to happen around mid morning to early evening and then I'll be able to connect around 9:00 PM.

This trip is the first experience with this issue.

Anyone experience this?
I got that a lot a couple of months ago (I don't keep a plan active year round). I was traveling and it was hit/miss. Winegard support checked the 5G maps and said those locations were overwhelmed with 5G signals which interfere with the LTE signal. Your mileage may vary.
Old 11-16-2020, 04:48 PM   #133

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Did you call your carrier?
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 01:22 AM   #134

Model: vegas 24.1
State: Nevada
THOR #17346
my question is - does the Weboost drive x rv cell phone signal booster device work with the Winegard Connect in any way?
the way I understand all this is that the weboost boosts the cell signal for your phone.
the Winegard gets you a wifi / internet connection.
tell me if I am correct so far.
then, if the signal is poor, the weboost makes it better for your phone. but does it make the Winegard connection better?
do I need Both a Winegard and a weboost?
are they 2 separate and distinct things with different functions?
do I need them both? the Winegard for internet and wifi, and weboost for cell phone signal boost? and the weboost does not enhance the Winegard performance?
OR, would I be ok with just a weboost for wifi and internet, and just use whatever signal there is at the location? help me understand, thanks
that is my question.
Old 01-17-2021, 12:19 PM   #135

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by galOnTheGo View Post
my question is - does the Weboost drive x rv cell phone signal booster device work with the Winegard Connect in any way?
the way I understand all this is that the weboost boosts the cell signal for your phone.
the Winegard gets you a wifi / internet connection.
tell me if I am correct so far.
then, if the signal is poor, the weboost makes it better for your phone. but does it make the Winegard connection better?
do I need Both a Winegard and a weboost?
are they 2 separate and distinct things with different functions?
do I need them both? the Winegard for internet and wifi, and weboost for cell phone signal boost? and the weboost does not enhance the Winegard performance?
OR, would I be ok with just a weboost for wifi and internet, and just use whatever signal there is at the location? help me understand, thanks
that is my question.

The Winegard ConnecT 2 is both a WiFi router and a Cellular HotSpot to provide an Internet connection around the coach. The Thor version of the ConnecT 2 also provides HDTV OTA (which I see Winegard is now offering itself).

The WeBoost requires the cellualr device to be close to the inside antenna. With the Winegard on the roof and the roof itself, I doubt the WeBoost will boost the signal for the Winegard.

Now the Winegard being on the roof with its own antenna array does get better signal than a phone. I have had only 1 or no bars on my AT&T phone but Winegard had 2 bars of signal with AT&T.

The advanatge of the Winegard is that is allows your own single WiFi connection point for you TV's, laptop,s tablets, etc. around the coach. A cell phone can do the same thing but again the Winegard is on the roof with a better antenna array than a cell phone. As a result it gets better signal with campground WiFi and other available WiFi networks AND it also provides a better signal to you devices than a regular phone hotspot.

Now with all that being said..... I was planning on going with the Cricket 20GB Plan for $30/mo now that my unlimited AT&T Plan has expired. However, I just moved my wife to Xfinity Mobile (which uses the Verizon network) and I am staying on AT&T. This way as we travel we will have coverage for both networks and in areas where one carrier is weaker or has no coverage, the other one might have converage.

I am now leaning towards installing the WeBoost Drive Reach RV and then having the Winegard connect to one of the phones as a hotspot. Then we can boost the cell signal when needed but use the Winegard's better WiFi antenna array and router capabilities to supply internet around the coach. This also gives us the ability to use either the AT&T network or the Verizon network depending on which one provides the best perfomance given our location versus being locked into only one carrier with a data plan for the Winecard.
Old 01-31-2021, 04:23 PM   #136

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: Virginia
THOR #4468
Quote:
Originally Posted by crater View Post
Okay verdict is in.

:drum roll:

It totally works.

You need a Simcard from any other provider who's towers show up when you SCAN for them and if they are in the provider box in the change provider settings. In my case I use Google Fi and they operate on several providers, for this example I'm using T-mobile's towers.

Once you verify you can see Towers from a provider it means you have that Frequency of radios and can connect to them.

Power off the unit and get on the roof and swap the sim card from Winegard's ATT sim to provider of your choice's sim card.

Once that is done power on the unit. Wait ~90 seconds for it to come online and connect to its wifi signal.

Once connected browse to 10.11.12.1 in your browser (I don't believe you can change provider settings in their app).

Login using admin as the username and the password that you can get from the app's settings, or whatever you may have already reset it to. This is not the same password that the wifi network uses.

Once logged in go to the drop down box at the bottom that says navigate to page, select Change Provider. You'll now use the drop down and pick the provider in question. You now need to change the APN setting to whatever the provider requires. In my case for Google Fi is it h2g2. Save and the unit will restart and connect to the towers using the new sim.

My last step was to use whatismyip.com to verify it was indeed on T-mobile's network.
Crater: Just ordered Google Fi service/phone/and data only Sim as an experiment for alternatives to VZ here in the mid atlantic. Travel mainly in the southeast but planning a trip out west (MT, SD,ND) I have the Winegard unit and plan to install a google Sim in it. Before I start climbing on the roof of the RV, do you have any other tips/tricks for setting up the Winegard for Google Fi? Have you been happy with the service and coverage? Thanks

2018 Hurricane 31S (sold)
mpinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 04:41 PM   #137

THOR #13505
Quote:
Originally Posted by williamprunty View Post
The newer version which I have in my 2020 now accepts Verizon. I literally took my SIM card out of my Verizon jet pack And put it into the wineguard.

Same here! Work like a champ
Bought pepwave so can run 2 more simcards
Old 01-31-2021, 05:27 PM   #138

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: Virginia
THOR #4468
Quote:
Originally Posted by macdaddy1111 View Post
Same here! Work like a champ
Bought pepwave so can run 2 more simcards
So I have Sim cards in 3 phones and 1 in the Winegard Connect. What would Pepwave with 2 more Sim cards provide on top of that? Curious, not a network engineer here.

2018 Hurricane 31S (sold)
mpinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 05:56 PM   #139

THOR #13505
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpinva View Post
So I have Sim cards in 3 phones and 1 in the Winegard Connect. What would Pepwave with 2 more Sim cards provide on top of that? Curious, not a network engineer here.

Can merge two sim cards in one router. Balances and manages!

Buddy on YouTube can explain in his video

https://youtu.be/tjGvAiLRyAo
Old 02-22-2021, 08:10 PM   #140

Model: 2020 Magnitude BH35
State: Utah
THOR #19910
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpinva View Post
Crater: Just ordered Google Fi service/phone/and data only Sim as an experiment for alternatives to VZ here in the mid atlantic. Travel mainly in the southeast but planning a trip out west (MT, SD,ND) I have the Winegard unit and plan to install a google Sim in it. Before I start climbing on the roof of the RV, do you have any other tips/tricks for setting up the Winegard for Google Fi? Have you been happy with the service and coverage? Thanks
Sorry, I don't mean to hijack the answer from Crater, however I just finished installing a Google Fi sim in my unit yesterday, and I think I have some tips for you...

Crater's instructions are spot on. I don't have a power switch for the Wineguard in my unit, so I just hit the master disconnect to pull the power.

Just locate the little clear protector window over the SIM slot and remove the two screws. You can then pop the SIM out by pushing it in and letting go. Pull it out.

Interestingly, in the Wineguard unit the SIM contacts face *down*. That's a bit unusual in my experience. Because the Google Fi SIMs are nano SIMs and the Wineguard wants a standard, you'll need an adapter as Crater said.

My problem was that the adapter kits I could find expect the SIM to be facing UP. This meant the the Fi SIM was going to fall out when I tried to put it in. Perhaps there's an adapter kit out there that works, but I couldn't find one. You could probably use a bit of scotch tape to tape the SIM into the type of adapter I found, but I decided to make a SIM adapter that holds the SIM card in and allows to card to face down at the same time. As I'm paranoid, I used some tape to hold the SIM in anyway.

Once the SIM is in, power up or reboot your unit and wait a few minutes. Then follow Crater's instructions. As he said, the towers that pop up with the Fi SIM are indeed T-Mobile towers. Once I entered the right APN (h2g2), it connected, and Dunzo.

The connection strength and speed have been great for me, although we haven't gone anywhere yet. I'm in Utah, so when you come out west I think you'll be fine as long as you don't get too far off grid.

As a side note, if anyone wants a copy of the file to print their own SIM adapter, drop me a line and I'll happily send it to you. Takes about 4 minutes to print.

Hope that helps!
2022 Jeep Gladiator Rubi (TOAD!)
2013 Harley FLHCUI
Greybear is offline   Reply With Quote