Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-27-2021, 10:45 AM   #161

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by macdaddy1111 View Post
I been using Verizon since ATT pulled 30 dollar a month plan
I get 15 gigs for 20 bucks a month. Boy they lock it down when you go over!

Do you have to be a Verizon customer to get the 15GB for $20/month? When I look at their Prepaid Data Plans they start at $6GB for $35/month and then 16GB for $40/month.

Old 03-27-2021, 12:49 PM   #162
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
I been using Verizon since ATT pulled 30 dollar a month plan
I get 15 gigs for 20 bucks a month. Boy they lock it down when you go over!
I just looked at Verizon and 15GB starts at 50.00 pert month and is added to an account tit is 35.00 per month.

For that cost I'll use the. Winegard pay. as you go plan with no contract required and I use when I need it and don't pay for when it's not required. Winegard uses the AT&T towers. Do the math, it could be cheaper in the long run depending on someone's travel and data requirements.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 02:47 PM   #163

Model: Hurricane 35m
State: North Carolina
THOR #13505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
Do you have to be a Verizon customer to get the 15GB for $20/month? When I look at their Prepaid Data Plans they start at $6GB for $35/month and then 16GB for $40/month.
We do have Verizon. When ATT dropped us, went on Verizon website, pick new line, put in ID of winegard and it said all setup and sim card on its way.

they charged me 20 bucks to send sim and charge 20 a month for the 15 gigs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	verizonsimbill.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	29389  
Old 03-28-2021, 06:27 PM   #164

Model: Hurricane 35m
State: North Carolina
THOR #13505
Quote:
Hey Judge, I don't think they sell it anymore. Bought mine end of Nov 2020 when my ATT account ran out.

I was messing around yesterday during realestate school zoom meeting, acted like I was going to buy one, it is no longer there!

They just have bunch of over priced hotspot pucks like the Army dude said.

Looks like another one got canned!

Come on ELON!!!!
Old 03-28-2021, 06:46 PM   #165

THOR #12751
Winegard Connect 2

Quote:
Hey Judge, I don't think they sell it anymore. Bought mine end of Nov 2020 when my ATT account ran out.

I was messing around yesterday during realestate school zoom meeting, acted like I was going to buy one, it is no longer there!

They just have bunch of over priced hotspot pucks like the Army dude said.

Looks like another one got canned!

Come on ELON!!!!

Thanks for the confirmation.....

Looks like the Cricket or Google Fi data plans are the best available right now. Like you said someday Elon may have a good option.
Old 03-28-2021, 07:44 PM   #166

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Verizon $20
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 01:43 PM   #167

Model: Vegas 25.5 / Keystone Mon
State: Arkansas
THOR #20441
15g "Unlimited" Verizon $20
Old 03-30-2021, 03:02 PM   #168

THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegas25.5 View Post
15g "Unlimited" Verizon $20

I'm not switching my phone service to Verizon to get that $20 plan. I have Xfinity Mobile, which is on the Verizon network. If I only use 1GB of data in a month, I pay a total of $17 (with tax) for unlimited calls and texts. If I need more, I can switch to their 3GB Plan for $30 or their unlmited plan for $45. I get those prices as a Comcast customer.

Xfinity is the only cell phone company that bills you at the end of the cycle and they let you drop down your plan before the last day to get the cheapest monthly price.

I just switched my mother to Xfinity. She was paying $75/month for her unlimited cell phone plan through Verizon. She is using less than 1GB/month since she has been staying home. She got the latest iPhone and is only paying $67 for the phone and service through Xfinity. Once her phone is paid off, she will be paying $17/month for 1GB of data and unlimited calls and texts. If she needs more data, she would pay about $32/month.
Old 03-30-2021, 04:59 PM   #169

Model: Four Winds 26B
State: Ohio
THOR #20900
Hmm... Thought I would check on XFinity, because I've never priced them. I went to their calculator page "show me how much I would save" ...

My current cell carrier is AT&T, and we have 5 lines (my wife and I and our three teenage kids). My plan is called "unlimited" data, but they throttle after a certain point, which is settable for each device. I have this set to where most of the time the devices will end up throttling during the last week of the billing period.

At XFinity, I entered in 5 lines, unlimited data for all lines, and what I pay AT&T. XFinity said I'm getting a good deal now with my current provider and they can't beat it. So, I went back and did it again, and instead entered in the points at which throttling starts instead of unlimited data, and got the same message.

I played around with it a bit, and found that I could get it to say XFinity is a better deal, but only by dropping the data down WAY below the current level. Looks like it's either a good deal for people with only one or two lines, or who use very little data...
Old 03-30-2021, 05:16 PM   #170

THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by atreis View Post
Hmm... Thought I would check on XFinity, because I've never priced them. I went to their calculator page "show me how much I would save" ...

My current cell carrier is AT&T, and we have 5 lines (my wife and I and our three teenage kids). My plan is called "unlimited" data, but they throttle after a certain point, which is settable for each device. I have this set to where most of the time the devices will end up throttling during the last week of the billing period.

At XFinity, I entered in 5 lines, unlimited data for all lines, and what I pay AT&T. XFinity said I'm getting a good deal now with my current provider and they can't beat it. So, I went back and did it again, and instead entered in the points at which throttling starts instead of unlimited data, and got the same message.

I played around with it a bit, and found that I could get it to say XFinity is a better deal, but only by dropping the data down WAY below the current level. Looks like it's either a good deal for people with only one or two lines, or who use very little data...
If you are not a Comcast customer already, you pay about the same amount as any other cell phone plan give or take.

I was on AT&T and with a 20% company discount I was paying over $110 for two lines that had unlinmited access. Now on Xfinity my wife's phone is costing $32/month with tax (and no additional fees... unlike AT&T and Verizon that tack on 3 or 4 additional fees). She uses less than 3GB/month. If she uses more data one month, I just switch her to the unlimited plan, which is $47 with tax.

If we both use less than 3GB/month, I am only paying $64 for two lines and if we both need unlimited one month, it is under $100 for both lines.

That is the beauty of Xfinity.... you can change your plan every month before the billing cycle ends and pick the lowest cost for that month based on your data usage that month. You can even change multiple times in a billing cycle. If you pick a low plan and go over, they send you a message you and change to the next highest plan.

Think about it.... if you were not traveling the past year because of COVID and had Internet access in your home, you use minimal data..... and ultimatey you overpaid every single month. One month we both used less than 1GB so the total cell phone bill for two of us was $34.

Now if you have no Internet at home and stream movies, etc. all the time, then using an unlimited plan every month may make sense. Even in that case I'm still saving money over AT&T when I want to go to unlimited when we are traveling.
Old 03-30-2021, 06:08 PM   #171
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
We dumped Verizon for Xfinity a few months ago. Xfinity is less for the unlimited plan for the DW and myself even after my corporate 17 percent discount with Verizon was factored in. Since I am now retired my connected technology requirements have drastically decreased. Neither I nor the DW require our cellular iPads and I no longer need a dedicated mobile hotspot to use with client systems. We are now down to 2 iPhones and 2 apple watches resulting in a cell phone bill about 1/4th of what it was in the past.

The nice thing about Xfinity, they use the Verizon towers and infrastructure
so the coverage has not changed.

As far as the Winegard goes, the more I think about it the more I am leaning towards using the Winegard pay as you go service. Why pay for service when the coach is sitting in a storage lot. Winegard uses the AT&T towers so the coverage would be the same as AT&T. I have a FMCA Rally coming up so I'll try. out the Winegard service then and make a decision before our 6000 mile summer trip.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 06:56 PM   #172

THOR #20220
verizon unlimited cheaper maybe. and $20 for 15gb winegard..$25 off teachers or nurse plan (do not think they check) service all over the country including Hawaii..hulu disney discovery espn included
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
Old 03-30-2021, 07:38 PM   #173

Model: Four Winds 26B
THOR #20900
Quote:
Think about it.... if you were not traveling the past year because of COVID and had Internet access in your home, you use minimal data..... and ultimatey you overpaid every single month. One month we both used less than 1GB so the total cell phone bill for two of us was $34.
Our usage went up substantially this year, not down. Living on a farm in the country, our internet options are very limited. We have a choice of the cell phones, and 5Mb DSL, and that's it. (I've already signed up for Starlink, but they're saying later this year ...) To allow my wife and I to work from home and the kids to attend school from home, we've had to spread out our usage over the (kids), a hotspot provided by my employer, and my wife's phone, with my phone and the kids' phones as backups in case one or another went down (which happens here).

Anyway, before Covid and after Covid, I've always managed our plan to make sure we aren't paying for more than we use. Our usage was relatively constant before Covid, relatively constant (but higher) after Covid, and will presumably be returning to the original level soon. AT&T also lets you change your plan monthly. It's not as responsive as XFinity, but with relatively constant usage it works well enough. I've never paid significantly for data not used.

Not really saying that one or another is better, just that it appears that FOR ME XFinity would actually end up costing more.

BTW, I pay $175 a month (total - all fees included) for 5 devices. 1 has 5Gb before throttling, 3 have 15Gb, 1 has 30Gb.
Old 03-30-2021, 08:09 PM   #174

THOR #20220
on the road nothing beats verizon!!
Old 03-31-2021, 12:57 AM   #175

Model: Vegas 25.5 / Keystone Mon
State: Arkansas
THOR #20441
For $20 with Verizon our Winegard has 15g of high-speed data then reduces to 600kbps. Wife and I both additionally have 15g of mobile hot spot on each of our lines before being reduced to 600kbps. If we hit 45g of high speed data a month in our Vegas then we need to probably evaluate our data usage.

Cable, cellular and internet/data is a bitter sweet relationship. Love it, almost need it in today's society, but often costs a pretty penny which hurts.
Old 03-31-2021, 01:12 AM   #176

THOR #20220
Same plan for us!

For $20 with Verizon our Winegard has 15g of high-speed data then reduces to 600kbps. Wife and I both additionally have 15g of mobile hot spot on each of our lines before being reduced to 600kbps. If we hit 45g of high speed data a month in our Vegas then we need to probably evaluate our data usage.
Old 04-17-2021, 02:04 AM   #177

THOR #4003
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmosqueda555 View Post
I have a 2020 palazzo, I have the password now, but checked everywhere in the cabin an I can not find the rocker switch for the Winegard WiFi antenna. Any ideas where to look?
It’s always on. There is no off/on switch for it. If it ever needs rebooting you can kill it by turning off the store switch at the door and then turning back in.
Old 04-17-2021, 04:03 AM   #178

Model: Aria 3601
State: Texas
THOR #17535
I thether my Winegard to my cell

I use Verizon on an android phone, when we are in the RV i set the phone on a stand in the front window and activate the mobile tether option and connect the Winegard to it, The wife and I use our laptops and her phone connected to the winegard SSID and we have no problems, even driving, I average about 15mb down and 1-8mb up, its much better than most camp sites. its a good solution to have.
Old 04-17-2021, 02:16 PM   #179

THOR #20220
We connect wirelessly to winegard and tried 4 family devices will camping all works..will slow at 15gb max
Old 05-09-2021, 09:16 AM   #180

Model: ACE 33.1
State: Nevada
THOR #21278
I am still not able to use my Winegard using 4G. As previously posted, I was able to connect to my Home Wifi, to test connectivity when we are at the campground that have Wifi.

Im still trying to figure out a way to get internet connection while on the road. Can’t go with Verizon since our current phone carrier is AT&T. Rep suggested to add a “Hot Spot” option to see if I can tap the Winegard to AT&T “Hot Spot” line. I thought someone here said we can use Hot Spot connection with Winegard? Any thoughts or suggestion on how to do that? I just spent over an hour playing around with Winegard configuration and not getting any connection.
ador is offline   Reply With Quote