Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-14-2020, 03:26 AM   #41

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Aria 3901
State: Florida
THOR #6952
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
I have read where people have take the SIM out of the Verizon MiFi and placed it into the ConnecT 2.0.

Have you tried that?
No I have not. I also use my MiFi in my 4 runner as well and like the flexibility to have it on the road regardless of the vehicle. Not sure if it would work or not. Good luck!

Old 05-26-2020, 11:38 PM   #42

Model: Delano
State: Idaho
THOR #18821
I just had to reset a few times and then remove and re-scan the QR code and finally got our Winegard ConnecT 2 (LTE + Wifi) unit on our 2020 Delano working. I connected it to the house wifi to update and play with all the settings. I noticed when scanning for LTE that it picked up T-mobile. They officially only seem to support their own plans as well as Verizon and ATT.. but I'm able to set the APN to whatever i want so i suspect T-mobile and any similar provider will actually work if you have the correct APN settings.

We have Google Fi as our phone carrier which runs over T-mobile, US Cellular and Sprint (If your phone is capable of it it will switch to the one with the best reception). The data is $10 per GB, till 12GB (on the entire plan, in our case 3 phones) and then its free/unlimited. On the surface this doesn't sound great compared to some of the cheaper ATT plans, until you realize you may not use it for a month or you may use much less. In this case I don't pay anything.

I'm waiting on a Data only sim (Totally free from Google Fi) to arrive so I can swap it into the unit and then update the APN settings and see if it works. I would just try my cell phone sim.. but my phone(Google Pixel 3a) has an e-sim so no sim card to remove. Will report back for anyone else interested once it arrives on how it goes and what steps I take.
Old 05-27-2020, 10:42 AM   #43

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by crater View Post
I just had to reset a few times and then remove and re-scan the QR code and finally got our Winegard ConnecT 2 (LTE + Wifi) unit on our 2020 Delano working. I connected it to the house wifi to update and play with all the settings. I noticed when scanning for LTE that it picked up T-mobile. They officially only seem to support their own plans as well as Verizon and ATT.. but I'm able to set the APN to whatever i want so i suspect T-mobile and any similar provider will actually work if you have the correct APN settings.

We have Google Fi as our phone carrier which runs over T-mobile, US Cellular and Sprint (If your phone is capable of it it will switch to the one with the best reception). The data is $10 per GB, till 12GB (on the entire plan, in our case 3 phones) and then its free/unlimited. On the surface this doesn't sound great compared to some of the cheaper ATT plans, until you realize you may not use it for a month or you may use much less. In this case I don't pay anything.

I'm waiting on a Data only sim (Totally free from Google Fi) to arrive so I can swap it into the unit and then update the APN settings and see if it works. I would just try my cell phone sim.. but my phone(Google Pixel 3a) has an e-sim so no sim card to remove. Will report back for anyone else interested once it arrives on how it goes and what steps I take.
Please K=keep us posted..... I'll be interested to see how this works for you.

I have scanned for 4G Networks with the admin application as well, the ConnnecT 2 and I have also picked up the T-Mobile Network.

I've never had T-Mobile so it would be nice to know it works and there are other options available. I have had Sprint in the past and found the coverage was terrible so hopefully T-Mobile is better.
Old 05-27-2020, 09:56 PM   #44

THOR #18821
Quote:
Please K=keep us posted..... I'll be interested to see how this works for you.

I have scanned for 4G Networks with the admin application as well, the ConnnecT 2 and I have also picked up the T-Mobile Network.

I've never had T-Mobile so it would be nice to know it works and there are other options available. I have had Sprint in the past and found the coverage was terrible so hopefully T-Mobile is better.

Sim card from Google Fi came today, much faster than I expected. It is however a nano sim and not full size.. so I'm 3d printing an adapter that i hope will work, if not I'll have to wait till Monday when amazon can ship a proper adapter. Then I'll climb up and pop it in and see if it works!
Old 05-27-2020, 11:46 PM   #45

THOR #18821
Okay verdict is in.

:drum roll:

It totally works.

You need a Simcard from any other provider who's towers show up when you SCAN for them and if they are in the provider box in the change provider settings. In my case I use Google Fi and they operate on several providers, for this example I'm using T-mobile's towers.

Once you verify you can see Towers from a provider it means you have that Frequency of radios and can connect to them.

Power off the unit and get on the roof and swap the sim card from Winegard's ATT sim to provider of your choice's sim card.

Once that is done power on the unit. Wait ~90 seconds for it to come online and connect to its wifi signal.

Once connected browse to 10.11.12.1 in your browser (I don't believe you can change provider settings in their app).

Login using admin as the username and the password that you can get from the app's settings, or whatever you may have already reset it to. This is not the same password that the wifi network uses.

Once logged in go to the drop down box at the bottom that says navigate to page, select Change Provider. You'll now use the drop down and pick the provider in question. You now need to change the APN setting to whatever the provider requires. In my case for Google Fi is it h2g2. Save and the unit will restart and connect to the towers using the new sim.

My last step was to use whatismyip.com to verify it was indeed on T-mobile's network.
Old 05-29-2020, 12:31 AM   #46

Model: Vegas 27.7
State: North Carolina
THOR #16745
Quote:
Originally Posted by williamprunty View Post
The newer version which I have in my 2020 now accepts Verizon. I literally took my SIM card out of my Verizon jet pack And put it into the wineguard.
How did you get the Winegard to accept the Vetizon card? We just got a card from them today but cannot get it to connect. We have a 2020 Vegas w/the ConnecT 2.0 and having the worst time trying to get online
Old 05-29-2020, 03:05 AM   #47

THOR #16745
Wink Thanks!!

Quote:
Okay verdict is in.

:drum roll:

It totally works.

You need a Simcard from any other provider who's towers show up when you SCAN for them and if they are in the provider box in the change provider settings. In my case I use Google Fi and they operate on several providers, for this example I'm using T-mobile's towers.

Once you verify you can see Towers from a provider it means you have that Frequency of radios and can connect to them.

Power off the unit and get on the roof and swap the sim card from Winegard's ATT sim to provider of your choice's sim card.

Once that is done power on the unit. Wait ~90 seconds for it to come online and connect to its wifi signal.

Once connected browse to 10.11.12.1 in your browser (I don't believe you can change provider settings in their app).

Login using admin as the username and the password that you can get from the app's settings, or whatever you may have already reset it to. This is not the same password that the wifi network uses.

Once logged in go to the drop down box at the bottom that says navigate to page, select Change Provider. You'll now use the drop down and pick the provider in question. You now need to change the APN setting to whatever the provider requires. In my case for Google Fi is it h2g2. Save and the unit will restart and connect to the towers using the new sim.

My last step was to use whatismyip.com to verify it was indeed on T-mobile's network.

Thanks for posting all steps. This forum is great!!! You can’t get Winegard on the phone, AT&T ppl don’t know what they are doing and are super expensive, Verizon Rep at the store did everything he could considering he had never even heard of the unit. We got a SIM card for $10.00 a month but got home and did everything we thought we were suppose to do but no luck. This is very frustrating for my husband as he is a Army Ret. SGM from an IT field. It doesn’t make sense, all the hoops you have to jump through to get this to work and the fact that you can’t get a straight answer from any of the affiliated companies. I’m much more patient than he is lol so I come to you guys, the ones that have been in this for a long time. This forum will be our new best friend!! . I have printed the instructions from your post and we will give it a go tomorrow. We have 48 hours to return the card if it doesn’t work.
Old 05-29-2020, 03:42 AM   #48

THOR #18821
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAWeems View Post
Thanks for posting all steps. This forum is great!!! You can’t get Winegard on the phone, AT&T ppl don’t know what they are doing and are super expensive, Verizon Rep at the store did everything he could considering he had never even heard of the unit. We got a SIM card for $10.00 a month but got home and did everything we thought we were suppose to do but no luck. This is very frustrating for my husband as he is a Army Ret. SGM from an IT field. It doesn’t make sense, all the hoops you have to jump through to get this to work and the fact that you can’t get a straight answer from any of the affiliated companies. I’m much more patient than he is lol so I come to you guys, the ones that have been in this for a long time. This forum will be our new best friend!! . I have printed the instructions from your post and we will give it a go tomorrow. We have 48 hours to return the card if it doesn’t work.
Good luck. I hope it works for you.
Old 05-29-2020, 10:03 AM   #49

THOR #12751
Quote:
Good luck. I hope it works for you.
Thanks for the update! Good to know....

I suspected it would work as long as the SIM card was for one of the carriers the Winegard 4G Scanning Utility would detect.

It is all dependent on the SIM card. My frustrations came when I thought I could use the Winegard installed SIM to sign up for the AT&T plans. Even though Winegard sells their won plans and uses the AT&T network, the stock SIM will not work with any carrier other than Winegard data plans.

As soon as I got an AT&T Prepaid SIM, it worked as designed..... and the setup was easy to do.

For you Verizon folks.... you need to connect your unit to your home WiFi (or you can use your phone as a Hotspot) so the ConnecT 2 is on the Internet so you can download the latest firmware from Winegard. The older units require a Modem Firmware upgrade to work with Verizon. There is also a Firmware update for the unit itself.
Old 05-29-2020, 10:10 AM   #50

THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAWeems View Post
How did you get the Winegard to accept the Vetizon card? We just got a card from them today but cannot get it to connect. We have a 2020 Vegas w/the ConnecT 2.0 and having the worst time trying to get online

For you Verizon folks.... you need to connect your unit to your home WiFi (or you can use your phone as a Hotspot) so the ConnecT 2 is on the Internet so you can download the latest firmware from Winegard.

The older units require a Modem Firmware upgrade to work with Verizon. There is also a Firmware update for the unit itself.
Old 05-29-2020, 08:04 PM   #51
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
While I was in the coach today I went ahead and downloaded the latest update. It took all of about 5 minutes to complete, but my home network is relatively fast so most downloads and updates are faster than most folks.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 08:48 PM   #52

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
My winegard system is a 2018 system and does not have a SIM card in it and does not have a slot for one on the roof mount. It is not the dome roof system but has multiple black antenna's. At one point I was able to get thru several windows through the system but could not get to the window where I could buy their data plan. I called winegard and had their tech walk me through but even that did not workout. I gave up and went with a verizon hotspot.
Old 05-29-2020, 09:08 PM   #53
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulwadley View Post
My winegard system is a 2018 system and does not have a SIM card in it and does not have a slot for one on the roof mount. It is not the dome roof system but has multiple black antenna's. At one point I was able to get thru several windows through the system but could not get to the window where I could buy their data plan. I called winegard and had their tech walk me through but even that did not workout. I gave up and went with a verizon hotspot.
Your Winegard may not be the Connect 2. Although they look similar the Winegard antenna that is being installed on some rigs is not the Connect 2 and is not a WIFI booster or capable of 4G LTE service. My daughters TTG has the Winegard antenna and at first glance they look the same.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 02:56 AM   #54

THOR #16745
Having a heck of. Time.....ugh

Gonna try connecting to the house Wi-Fi now and see what happens. This is very frustrating especially for a IT Veteran...smh
Old 05-30-2020, 02:58 AM   #55

THOR #16745
Quote:
For you Verizon folks.... you need to connect your unit to your home WiFi (or you can use your phone as a Hotspot) so the ConnecT 2 is on the Internet so you can download the latest firmware from Winegard.

The older units require a Modem Firmware upgrade to work with Verizon. There is also a Firmware update for the unit itself.
You connected the ConnecT to your home Wi-Fi?
Old 05-30-2020, 04:16 AM   #56

THOR #16745
@Judge and @Crater we can’t thank you two enough. After putting your post together we are finally connect under our Verizon unlimited data SIM card!!! This has been extremely frustrating but thanks to you guys we are finally connected. Our next step will be to look into directv. We have it at home and will try to find out the best And cheapest way to get it onboard our rig. Thank you guys again!!!
Old 05-31-2020, 01:07 AM   #57

THOR #12698
The Summit Package (is what my motor home came with) lists it as the Winegard 4G LTE system.
Old 05-31-2020, 02:39 AM   #58
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulwadley View Post
The Summit Package (is what my motor home came with) lists it as the Winegard 4G LTE system.
I am not familiar with the Summit package. Is that Thor? The Connect 2 has a sim slot and a Winegard pre installed SIM. If yours does not have a SIM it is not a Connect 2
Old 05-31-2020, 12:43 PM   #59

THOR #12698
The Summit Package has a list of options that Thor added. A Diesel generator, The Mobileye, fender mounted side view cameras and a few other items as options. It also included the 4GLTE Winegard System in that package.

Paul
Old 06-01-2020, 06:02 PM   #60

Model: Hurricane 35m
THOR #13505
Works great when it works. Was on my 2020 35m
Paid the 360 in Nov. Could use my laptop driving down road. Have fire sticks on all my TVs so could use prime and all its apps. ATT shitcan plan this Jan.

Last month mine wont connect to ATT
Software said can't see sim card.

Climbed up top, pulled card, reset power cycle, etc
Updated software. Now no sim card error gone and showing nothing about sim card and buy data button is gone!!

Email tech support. They are a freaking joke. All they want is to me show line item on rv invoice before they will help!!
Sent them serial number and purchase order of RV. No help.

Their rating online is around 2!!!

One more crap part installed on my RV!!

It will still connect to a hotspot becomes my router.
The HD antenna works pretty good.

Rig going back to Shop this week to get my living room slide upgraded to 3 rails and will let dealership deal with winecrap! Ha

Was the bomb when it worked.