Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-10-2020, 01:29 AM   #81

State: Arkansas
THOR #19565
Honestly I think putting a SIM card in the Wineguard is a waste. There are no plans that are worth it. I use an old Android phone with a 50gb data plan for $49/month and turned it into a hot spot. Worked great.

Old 09-10-2020, 09:39 AM   #82

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by bojanlora View Post
Honestly I think putting a SIM card in the Wineguard is a waste. There are no plans that are worth it. I use an old Android phone with a 50gb data plan for $49/month and turned it into a hot spot. Worked great.
That may be a true statement in some instances but it is not an accurate blanket statement.

There have been many times when I would not be able to use my phone as a hotspot because I only had 1 bar of signal or the phone was showing no coverage (AT&T). The Wingard unit being on the roof with better a better antenna than a phone was picking up signal and I had Internet and WiFi calling ability.

The same thing can be said with camp and other other free WiFi. It does a great job boosting the signal.

There are many camp sites with marginal cellular coverage so to me a SIM card in the unit is worth it.
Old 09-10-2020, 01:29 PM   #83

THOR #19565
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
That may be a true statement in some instances but it is not an accurate blanket statement.

There have been many times when I would not be able to use my phone as a hotspot because I only had 1 bar of signal or the phone was showing no coverage (AT&T). The Wingard unit being on the roof with better a better antenna than a phone was picking up signal and I had Internet and WiFi calling ability.

The same thing can be said with camp and other other free WiFi. It does a great job boosting the signal.

There are many camp sites with marginal cellular coverage so to me a SIM card in the unit is worth it.
20GB for $150/month.... No thank you. I'll take the savings and buy a signal booster.

I do agree that the Windguard is a great wifi bridge/booster and even LTE modem. It's just that in the US data only plans are ridiculous.

I would pay $150/month for something like Nomad or Ubifi that are true unlimited/unthrottled but I don't think their SIMs will work with the Windguard. I have a Ubifi SIM, I should test it out. That's $89 truly unlimited AT&T LTE data.
Old 09-10-2020, 02:22 PM   #84

THOR #12751
Quote:
20GB for $150/month.... No thank you. I'll take the savings and buy a signal booster.

I do agree that the Windguard is a great wifi bridge/booster and even LTE modem. It's just that in the US data only plans are ridiculous.

I would pay $150/month for something like Nomad or Ubifi that are true unlimited/unthrottled but I don't think their SIMs will work with the Windguard. I have a Ubifi SIM, I should test it out. That's $89 truly unlimited AT&T LTE data.
There are cheaper plans that 20GB for $150/month. It also depends if you are full timer or how much you use your RV and don't have access to WiFi.

AT&T now offers an RV plan for 100GB for 12 Months for $325 (~$27/month) with the cheapest being 5GB for $25/Month since they no longer offer the unlimited plan for $360/year.

I've used 100GB so far this year and I do a lot of movie / TV streaming. I also have cameras inside the coach and don't always switch over to my home WiFi. The 100GB per yer plan would probably work ok for me once my unlimited plan expires at the end of the year.
Old 09-11-2020, 12:22 AM   #85
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:

The Winegard plan is cheaper than that.
Old 09-11-2020, 02:42 AM   #86

THOR #19565
Link please
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
The Winegard plan is cheaper than that.
Old 09-11-2020, 10:45 AM   #87

THOR #12751
Quote:
Link please

Here is the link to the Winegard Plans...

https://winegard.com/plans/cellular-data/winegard

Here is the link to the AT&T Plans....

https://buyasession.att.com/sbd/Comm...tePlans.action
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-09-11 at 6.45.03 AM.png
Views:	69
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	26054   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-09-11 at 6.45.19 AM.png
Views:	70
Size:	286.0 KB
ID:	26055  

Old 09-11-2020, 12:51 PM   #88
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Link please
Connect to the Winegard using the app and then select “Buy Data” and the plans will magically appear.

I have used them twice with no problems and I don’t use them at times when the rig is sitting in the driveway. Also, no need to climb on the roof to change the SIM card. Not sure I will feel the same way when we start 1/2 to 3/4 timing but right now I have no issues and no mobile service contracts.
Old 09-14-2020, 05:56 AM   #89

Model: Vegas 25.5 / Keystone Mon
THOR #20441
Recently got the Winegard 2.0 up and running on our 2019 Vegas 25 5. As a Verizon customer, it was not too bad and reasonably priced. Picked up a Sim card from Verizon, called Verizon live person customer service, gave them a couple numbers from the unit, did the 10.11.12.1 thing in a browser and good to go. As far as cost, I added a line (data only but assigned a phone number) to my plan - $20 a month for Unlimited Data...think speed is reduced after 20g or so a month. Happy so far.
Old 09-17-2020, 10:19 PM   #90

Model: 26HE
State: Alabama
THOR #12744
Verizon just added a new Unlimited Plus Connected plan that might be an option for a data plan. The catch is the unlimited part is for the 5G access, which is still very limited. It also includes 30GB of 4G premium data. The fine-print says after 30GB the speed may be slowed during times of congestion. It's $30 a month.

When I searched for devices there was an option for "send me a sim." I'm not ready to commit to it, just letting other knows.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-09-17 at 5.16.36 PM.png
Views:	78
Size:	99.3 KB
ID:	26172  
Old 09-18-2020, 09:56 AM   #91

THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad2018 View Post
Verizon just added a new Unlimited Plus Connected plan that might be an option for a data plan. The catch is the unlimited part is for the 5G access, which is still very limited. It also includes 30GB of 4G premium data. The fine-print says after 30GB the speed may be slowed during times of congestion. It's $30 a month.

When I searched for devices there was an option for "send me a sim." I'm not ready to commit to it, just letting other knows.

Thanks for that info! Keep us posted if you give it a try.
Old 09-18-2020, 08:16 PM   #92

Model: Citation 24ST
State: Wisconsin
THOR #7565
I've been reading this thread over several times to see if I can figure out what I can't figure out Our new to us 2018 citation came with Winegard ConnecT 4G1. It is one and working to some degree I guess as our phones and I pad switch to the WiFi but it's not doing anything. I've reset it and followed set up instructions several times but cannot get past the Status page. I'm really wanting to use if more for cell boosting than WiFi. Just totally frustrated.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Winegard status 1.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	26191  
Old 09-18-2020, 08:24 PM   #93

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
You can call their tech support to help walk you through the screens. I left a message for them and got a call back that helped out.

Paul
Old 09-18-2020, 09:20 PM   #94
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micky/John View Post
I've been reading this thread over several times to see if I can figure out what I can't figure out Our new to us 2018 citation came with Winegard ConnecT 4G1. It is one and working to some degree I guess as our phones and I pad switch to the WiFi but it's not doing anything. I've reset it and followed set up instructions several times but cannot get past the Status page. I'm really wanting to use if more for cell boosting than WiFi. Just totally frustrated.
It is not a cell phone booster. It is a WiFi booster or a 4 G hot spot with an installed SIM or Winegard data plan.
Old 09-18-2020, 09:29 PM   #95

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
It is not a cell phone booster. It is a WiFi booster or a 4 G hot spot with an installed SIM or Winegard data plan.

Some models are only WiFi boosters (no SIM card option). You should have an option to scan for WiFi networks. If you find one with over 50% signal strength select it and it should connect your cell phone and iPad to that network through the Winegard.
Old 09-18-2020, 09:58 PM   #96
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
Some models are only WiFi boosters (no SIM card option). You should have an option to scan for WiFi networks. If you find one with over 50% signal strength select it and it should connect your cell phone and iPad to that network through the Winegard.
The OP specifically stated their interest is in a cell phone booster and the Winegard is not a cell phone booster. My response was for that specific issue in the original post.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 10:34 PM   #97

THOR #6826
Quote:
The OP specifically stated their interest is in a cell phone booster and the Winegard is not a cell phone booster. My response was for that specific issue in the original post.

Absolutely. I was merely trying to make sure he knew he wasn’t necessarily going to find the ability to use a SIM card to create a new hotspot. I noted his observation that “it’s not doing anything” which leads me to think he has the more basic model. Which is the one I have and am happy with - because I know it’s limitations.
Old 09-19-2020, 04:53 PM   #98

THOR #7565
Ok thanks, I understand then that this will just be a WiFi booster. That's fine but I still can't get past status page to even indicate what I want to connect to.
Old 09-19-2020, 08:16 PM   #99

THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micky/John View Post
Ok thanks, I understand then that this will just be a WiFi booster. That's fine but I still can't get past status page to even indicate what I want to connect to.

I don’t have mine nearby but I think you can use the “select page” button at the bottom of your status page to search for WiFi networks.
Old 09-19-2020, 08:25 PM   #100

THOR #7565
I tried that and nothing works, screen stays the same.