Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login

Old 04-18-2020, 06:48 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 33.1
State: Mississippi
THOR #18602
Winegard Connect 2

Just bought a 2020 ACE 33.1. I've owned several motorhomes and TTs in the past but none ever had this Winegard Connect 2. What does this thing actually do. I kind of understand that it's a WiFi booster. Can anyone enlighten me as to what I need to do to make it work, or, is it worth the trouble of doing anything?
Thanks

Old 04-18-2020, 09:07 AM   #2

Brand: Cruiser
Model: Viewfinder VS32RLS
State: Tennessee
THOR #9613
Can’t help you with the Winegard Connect but I’d like to know more about your Thor ACE 33.1. That’s one hot motor home, love that floor plan. Hopefully that will be my next RV. How do you like it so far? Have you stayed in it yet?
sonnyw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 11:39 AM   #3
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Welcome and congrats.

First step is to find the manual with the password and SSID. Then basic setup is relatively easy.

Yes it is worth learning and configuring. You name the network and connect all devices one time. You then connect the Winegard to WIFI or 4G and all your devices will use that connection through your Winegard network.
Old 04-18-2020, 02:28 PM   #4

THOR #18602
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnyw View Post
Can’t help you with the Winegard Connect but I’d like to know more about your Thor ACE 33.1. That’s one hot motor home, love that floor plan. Hopefully that will be my next RV. How do you like it so far? Have you stayed in it yet?
Yes we have and absolutely love it. Only stayed in it a couple of times,so far, so good. I was worried about getting rid of the Allegro Bus and downsizing (I’m 6’3” and about 215 lbs) but have had zero issues. I love the floor plan too.
Old 04-18-2020, 02:30 PM   #5

THOR #18602
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
Welcome and congrats.

First step is to find the manual with the password and SSID. Then basic setup is relatively easy.

Yes it is worth learning and configuring. You name the network and connect all devices one time. You then connect the Winegard to WIFI or 4G and all your devices will use that connection through your Winegard network.
Thanks. Will I need to install a router or will it pick up available unlocked WiFi?
Old 04-18-2020, 02:53 PM   #6
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricky5924 View Post
Thanks. Will I need to install a router or will it pick up available unlocked WiFi?
No router required. It will pickup locked and unlocked networks. Use the app to log into locked networks with the network owners supplied password.
Old 04-18-2020, 09:20 PM   #7

State: California
THOR #18560
Where do I get the password to login?
Old 04-18-2020, 09:44 PM   #8
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmosqueda555 View Post
Where do I get the password to login?
Mine was on the label affixed to the first page of the owners manual.
Old 04-29-2020, 08:30 PM   #9

Model: ACE 30.2
THOR #10574
We have one and it’s really nice. Like others mentioned it does two things:
1. You can purchase data (ours is through ATT) and have internet everywhere you go, even while driving
2. When you arrive at a campground (or home) you can connect it he winegard to that WiFi

The benefit is that for all the WiFi devices in your RV (phones, Alexa, tv, Roku, tablets, laptops, etc) you never have to change Their WiFi networks. They are always connected to your Winegard and only the winegard has to connect to the local router WiFi
Old 04-29-2020, 11:22 PM   #10

State: Texas
THOR #16550
AT&T Sucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricky5924 View Post
Just bought a 2020 ACE 33.1. I've owned several motorhomes and TTs in the past but none ever had this Winegard Connect 2. What does this thing actually do. I kind of understand that it's a WiFi booster. Can anyone enlighten me as to what I need to do to make it work, or, is it worth the trouble of doing anything?
Thanks
When we bought our connect 2 to use cellular data to stream to Rokus with Youtube TV, Netflix and Amazon, AT&T offered a prepaid unlimited data plan for $360 a year. Works great, but as soon as I got it installed, AT&T killed that plan. Data plans are now like $300 PER MONTH and thats not even unlimited. So now what was a good strategy for streaming TV and having internet access is not so much any more. I dont think I would buy one again just to get wifi as wan. .
Old 04-29-2020, 11:57 PM   #11
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyanderson View Post
When we bought our connect 2 to use cellular data to stream to Rokus with Youtube TV, Netflix and Amazon, AT&T offered a prepaid unlimited data plan for $360 a year. Works great, but as soon as I got it installed, AT&T killed that plan. Data plans are now like $300 PER MONTH and thats not even unlimited. So now what was a good strategy for streaming TV and having internet access is not so much any more. I dont think I would buy one again just to get wifi as wan. .
Have you checked on the Verizon plans? I am going to call them in the next week or two.
Old 04-30-2020, 12:26 AM   #12

Model: ACE 30.2
THOR #10574
Agreed, we bought ours when they were promoting annual unlimited. By the time we actually installed and signed up, that offer was gone. See attached images for new plans. There are Monthly renewing and an annual plan too. We ended up with the 100gb for $325 annual plan. Nice to have since we travel with our 4 and 7 year olds and work on trips too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F76AD68E-F15F-4B44-A216-40E7DECAD7B1.jpg
Views:	305
Size:	120.8 KB
ID:	23496   Click image for larger version

Name:	8CCA4045-8C7A-4C7F-8E68-7EB6AFD205B4.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	103.2 KB
ID:	23497  

Old 04-30-2020, 03:26 AM   #13

State: California
THOR #18560
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferf View Post
We have one and it’s really nice. Like others mentioned it does two things:
1. You can purchase data (ours is through ATT) and have internet everywhere you go, even while driving
2. When you arrive at a campground (or home) you can connect it he winegard to that WiFi

The benefit is that for all the WiFi devices in your RV (phones, Alexa, tv, Roku, tablets, laptops, etc) you never have to change Their WiFi networks. They are always connected to your Winegard and only the winegard has to connect to the local router WiFi
When I bought my RV I didn’t get a manual, I was told it was inside the dome of the Winegard and there are three stickers and none have the password. I’m going to call them tomorrow and get the password one way or another
Old 04-30-2020, 10:52 AM   #14

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyanderson View Post
You are not entirely correct........ there are other plans. The $300 per month is for 100GB per month.

While i agree the $360/year for unlimited data was great there are plenty of reasons to have one.

1) It

will boost the signal of the camp or other WiFi you want to connect to by having the antennas placed on the roof.

2) When you have multiple devices using WiFi, they always use the same SSID and password for them and only have to connect the ConnecT 2.0 to the WiFi source.

3) It gives you the option for a HotSpot if the camp WiFi is poor or not available.

4) It combines HDTV, WiFi router and HotSpot capabilities into a single unit.

It is disappointing that they dropped the unlimited plan for $360 but I still think the unit is worth it.

I have been doing some testing and I have used the camp WiFi at the last three KOA's we stayed at in the past two months. I was able to stream movies and use YouTube TV for TV viewing over the camp WiFi at all three KOA's without any problems. Having the antennas on the roof and the unit itself does a good job boosting the WiFi from the source.

Here are all of the AT&T Plans for the Winegard ConnecT 2:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-04-30 at 6.47.08 AM.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	102.5 KB
ID:	23505  
Old 04-30-2020, 11:34 AM   #15

Brand: Still Looking
State: Georgia
THOR #17491
wingard wifi

Quote:
No router required. It will pickup locked and unlocked networks. Use the app to log into locked networks with the network owners supplied password.
I have 2020 27.3 same question as as above, I asked Camper world if the unit had wifi was told , I have not been able to fine a pass word anywhere, so I'm paying AT&T $66.00 a month for a wi-fi system. If you know where I should look for password it would ,be nice. Also I pointed out to Campers World that my smart phone picks a wi-fi single for the motorhome.
Old 04-30-2020, 01:07 PM   #16

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by captlbh View Post
I have 2020 27.3 same question as as above, I asked Camper world if the unit had wifi was told , I have not been able to fine a pass word anywhere, so I'm paying AT&T $66.00 a month for a wi-fi system. If you know where I should look for password it up would be nice. Also I pointed out to Campers World that my smart phone picks a wi-fi single for the motorhome.
The owners manual has a label on it at the bottom with your units "network" name and the password to log in.

If you don't have your manual, you will need to climb up on the roof and get your units model and serial number and call Winegard Support to get it.

You need to get a phone, tablet or laptop and connect to the unit. Then open a browser and type in 10.11.12.1 as the address. The username is Admin and then the password has to be entered from the user manual so you can enter the configuration page.

I'm not sure how or why you are paying $66/month if you have not been able to log in to set it up properly first.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-04-30 at 9.06.05 AM.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	23507   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-04-30 at 9.12.26 AM.png
Views:	233
Size:	201.3 KB
ID:	23508  

Old 04-30-2020, 04:14 PM   #17

Model: Magnitude RB34
State: Montana
THOR #2531
Verizon

Quote:
Have you checked on the Verizon plans? I am going to call them in the next week or two.
I use Verizon unlimited 17 per month with military discount.
Old 04-30-2020, 04:34 PM   #18
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by williamprunty View Post
I use Verizon unlimited 17 per month with military discount.
You use it with the Winegard Connect 2, or is this. your personal plan for phones?

I am looking at the Verizon Connected plans for the Winegard and there is nothing for 17 per month unlimited, and I get a larger discount through my employer than the military discount offers.

The problem I have had with Verizon is in=f you are on a good plan that has been discontinued the minute you make a change such as new phone, add a line etc... that good plan you were on will no longer be available to continue using. Verizon has done this to me twice in the last 10 years.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 05:31 PM   #19

Model: Magnitude RB34
State: Montana
THOR #2531
Wineguard connect version

Quote:
You use it with the Winegard Connect 2, or is this. your personal plan for phones?

I am looking at the Verizon Connected plans for the Winegard and there is nothing for 17 per month unlimited, and I get a larger discount through my employer than the military discount offers.

The problem I have had with Verizon is in=f you are on a good plan that has been discontinued the minute you make a change such as new phone, add a line etc... that good plan you were on will no longer be available to continue using. Verizon has done this to me twice in the last 10 years.
The newer version which I have in my 2020 now accepts Verizon. I literally took my SIM card out of my Verizon jet pack And put it into the wineguard.
Old 04-30-2020, 06:23 PM   #20
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by williamprunty View Post
The newer version which I have in my 2020 now accepts Verizon. I literally took my SIM card out of my Verizon jet pack And put it into the wineguard.
Did you have to get the Winegard ID written to the jet pack's sim?

I have the latest Winegard Connect 2 as well and it is also Verizon compatible. I also have a Verizon MiFi (jet pack) that is activated and has been sitting in my desk drawer for the last 2 years un-used.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote