Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-10-2021, 12:29 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Alabama
THOR #15026
Ford Warranty Repair Shop near Mobile, AL

I need to find a shop near Mobile, AL that can do Warranty work on the Ford part of my 2019 Hurricane Windsport 29M. The check engine light came on and my usual repair shop couldn't find anything wrong and says it needs to be reset. They said it is a "common problem" with the Fords but they are not licensed to do that. I have to find a place to take my RV to a Warranty shop but even the "National Website" does not have accurate info as I called a shop in Mobile and they said "they don't do RVs".

Old 10-10-2021, 01:10 PM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
RE: "Common problem with Fords and not licensed to do that" rings all kinds of warning bells with me. Sounds like their $30 code reader is not up to date. Check engine lights throw diagnostic codes that lead you to the cause of the problem.

I'd at least swing by an auto parts store like Advanced Auto Parts and ask them to read the code - they do it at no cost. That should at least tell you how serious the issue is.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 12:31 PM   #3

Model: Omni XG32 GONE for good
THOR #22586
My limited research says a Ford commercial truck facility at Crestview FL.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 12:46 PM   #4

THOR #15026
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
RE: "Common problem with Fords and not licensed to do that" rings all kinds of warning bells with me. Sounds like their $30 code reader is not up to date. Check engine lights throw diagnostic codes that lead you to the cause of the problem.

I'd at least swing by an auto parts store like Advanced Auto Parts and ask them to read the code - they do it at no cost. That should at least tell you how serious the issue is.
Actually they could diagnose it and found absolutely nothing wrong. The issue is that they are not licensed to do WARRANTY work on the Ford Chasis. The "fix" is to get it reset which Ford will do under warranty. I was given info on another site that gives me a number to call to find a local dealer. Before I received that info I was just "hoping" someone lived near my area that already knew of a warranty Ford Shop.
Old 10-11-2021, 12:47 PM   #5

THOR #15026
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunker21 View Post
My limited research says a Ford commercial truck facility at Crestview FL.
I now gave a number to call and "hopefully" there will be a closer site. I believe the Crestview shop is like the one listed for Mobile, they don't work on RVS
Old 10-11-2021, 01:35 PM   #6
Site Team

Brand: Crossroads
Model: CF32BL
State: Mississippi
THOR #121
A lot of Fords will through the check engine lite during or after a storm. You can reset it your self by dis conecting the battery for ten minutes and than start it up if it comes back on than you will need to check on other options
The wonder Schnauzers
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 12:30 PM   #7

THOR #15026
Quote:
Originally Posted by fhenn View Post
A lot of Fords will through the check engine lite during or after a storm. You can reset it your self by dis conecting the battery for ten minutes and than start it up if it comes back on than you will need to check on other options
Ok, we need to get a maintenance free battery so maybe when we put the new one in it will go away. It's worth a try because the EARLIEST apot. to get it in is December 7th, ugh!
Old 10-13-2021, 04:21 PM   #8

THOR #22586
Just an update to my earlier comment. I just called Bondy Ford in Dothan AL and they can handle all the chassis work except alignment. I specified motorhome and they said yes. I know that's a long way from Mobile, but at least still in south Alabama.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
Old 10-14-2021, 12:55 PM   #9

THOR #15026
Quote:
Just an update to my earlier comment. I just called Bondy Ford in Dothan AL and they can handle all the chassis work except alignment. I specified motorhome and they said yes. I know that's a long way from Mobile, but at least still in south Alabama.
Oh, wonderful! I got an appointment with someone but the EARLIEST appointment was December 7th which is throwing a major kink in our fall camping plans. I calk them and see if they might have something earlier.
Old 10-14-2021, 01:20 PM   #10

THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosemary View Post
Oh, wonderful! I got an appointment with someone but the EARLIEST appointment was December 7th which is throwing a major kink in our fall camping plans. I calk them and see if they might have something earlier.
I went back and reread the comments in this thread and you are fretting about a potential "nothing". Do as "fhenn" said and disconnect the chassis batteries, let sit a bit and reconnect. Sensors can/will throw a code at the least bit and until it's reset the light will stay on. Some vehicles are more prone, some sensors also more prone. Example I had a 97 Dodge pickup that would periodically have the CEL. Nothing really wrong except an errant sensor. If you let this little thing get you in a wad you will be forever worrying about "a nothing event". If you don't know, or physically can't do it, find a shop or friend who will disconnect the battery briefly. If that doesn't work, then go to plan B at an authorized shop. There is nothing magical about having Ford reset an errant code.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
Old 10-15-2021, 12:34 PM   #11

THOR #15026
Quote:
I went back and reread the comments in this thread and you are fretting about a potential "nothing". Do as "fhenn" said and disconnect the chassis batteries, let sit a bit and reconnect. Sensors can/will throw a code at the least bit and until it's reset the light will stay on. Some vehicles are more prone, some sensors also more prone. Example I had a 97 Dodge pickup that would periodically have the CEL. Nothing really wrong except an errant sensor. If you let this little thing get you in a wad you will be forever worrying about "a nothing event". If you don't know, or physically can't do it, find a shop or friend who will disconnect the battery briefly. If that doesn't work, then go to plan B at an authorized shop. There is nothing magical about having Ford reset an errant code.
Thank you! Yes, I am probably worrying that about nothing. My family just doesn't like or trust Fords which is why it was distressing that my "dream RV" was a Ford. I just don't want to drive the RV and do more damage and my mechanic can't say 100% that it can be driven until the light is reset. Then, the issue of not even being able to find anyone that can do any type of warranty work on the F-53 has me more upset than the light issue. I even found out all the RV Dealerships anywhere near me (including the one I bought from) and not authorized to do warranty work. WTF??? While I love my RV, I am seriously thinking if selling it or trading it in for another type once I get this fixed. I really enjoy camping but maybe a Ford Chasis was not the best fit for my needs.
Old 10-15-2021, 01:01 PM   #12

THOR #22586
Quote:
Thank you! Yes, I am probably worrying that about nothing. My family just doesn't like or trust Fords which is why it was distressing that my "dream RV" was a Ford. I just don't want to drive the RV and do more damage and my mechanic can't say 100% that it can be driven until the light is reset. Then, the issue of not even being able to find anyone that can do any type of warranty work on the F-53 has me more upset than the light issue. I even found out all the RV Dealerships anywhere near me (including the one I bought from) and not authorized to do warranty work. WTF??? While I love my RV, I am seriously thinking if selling it or trading it in for another type once I get this fixed. I really enjoy camping but maybe a Ford Chasis was not the best fit for my needs.
Unless you step up to a Freightliner chassis on a super C like some Dynamax, Renegade, etc, then your other alternative is something on a Sprinter, Mercedes Benz, chassis. If you think finding a suitable Ford repair shop is tough, try the MG. Not every MB dealer will service the Sprinter and fewer the RV versions. My sister in Chattanooga TN has to take it to Nashville or Knoxville if they want an MB dealer to do work. To put it bluntly, because some of your family members are idiots and don't like Ford is not a good reason to dump the Ford chassis. You've been given good alternatives but if you want to follow relatives bad advice and get rid of the current Ford based RV, do so.

You will find a few, not many choices on a GM chassis and some older ones also. Then you won't be concerned about warranty issues and you can get family members to do the work.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
Old 10-16-2021, 06:19 PM   #13
Jph

THOR #17238
Try fordcommercialvehicle.com
You can locate dealers near you and it will give you information about what they service
Old 10-16-2021, 07:45 PM   #14

THOR #15026
Quote:
Unless you step up to a Freightliner chassis on a super C like some Dynamax, Renegade, etc, then your other alternative is something on a Sprinter, Mercedes Benz, chassis. If you think finding a suitable Ford repair shop is tough, try the MG. Not every MB dealer will service the Sprinter and fewer the RV versions. My sister in Chattanooga TN has to take it to Nashville or Knoxville if they want an MB dealer to do work. To put it bluntly, because some of your family members are idiots and don't like Ford is not a good reason to dump the Ford chassis. You've been given good alternatives but if you want to follow relatives bad advice and get rid of the current Ford based RV, do so.

You will find a few, not many choices on a GM chassis and some older ones also. Then you won't be concerned about warranty issues and you can get family members to do the work.
Well, you have a right to your opinion but I AM ONE OF THE FAMILY MEMBERS who don't like Fords (Fix Or Repair Daily) and don't think that makes me an idiot. Yes, I have been given some good alternatives and I am trying all of them. However, when none of the Ford Warranty Repair shops near or in a city the size of mine have a 2-4 month waiting period for repairs, only an IDIOT would not be scared of having a vehicle that is at their mercy. I have been told that a "check engine light" is not a huge issue and have had multiple people who say they just ignore the light because (even thought they don't have an RV) it is almost IMPOSSIBLE to ever get into a shop and get someone to fix the light or it is something that is so expensive to do, it is not worth getting it fixed/reset. All I want is to be able to use my RV for the reasons I purchased it to be and that is to be able to go camping any time I want WITH CONFIDENCE. Sorry if I obviously struck a nerve with you who apparantly are a Fix Or Repair Daily devotee. I am lucky that my husband is able to many of the repairs that my RV has needed. Now if I can just get him to train as a Ford Warranty Repair Person then my problem is solved. Have a good day!
Old 10-16-2021, 08:17 PM   #15
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Well, you have a right to your opinion but I AM ONE OF THE FAMILY MEMBERS who don't like Fords (Fix Or Repair Daily) and don't think that makes me an idiot. Yes, I have been given some good alternatives and I am trying all of them. However, when none of the Ford Warranty Repair shops near or in a city the size of mine have a 2-4 month waiting period for repairs, only an IDIOT would not be scared of having a vehicle that is at their mercy. I have been told that a "check engine light" is not a huge issue and have had multiple people who say they just ignore the light because (even thought they don't have an RV) it is almost IMPOSSIBLE to ever get into a shop and get someone to fix the light or it is something that is so expensive to do, it is not worth getting it fixed/reset. All I want is to be able to use my RV for the reasons I purchased it to be and that is to be able to go camping any time I want WITH CONFIDENCE. Sorry if I obviously struck a nerve with you who apparantly are a Fix Or Repair Daily devotee. I am lucky that my husband is able to many of the repairs that my RV has needed. Now if I can just get him to train as a Ford Warranty Repair Person then my problem is solved. Have a good day!
Have you swung by an auto parts store yet for them to read the code and tell you what it means and clear it if desired?
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 09:31 PM   #16

THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Have you swung by an auto parts store yet for them to read the code and tell you what it means and clear it if desired?
That's too easy. Much easier to complain about an unknown. And to Rosemary, my current and last 3 trucks are/were Ram, before that a couple Fords and before that some GM. I'm an equal opportunity truck buyer. I deal with facts, not cliche.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
Old 10-16-2021, 10:52 PM   #17

Model: ACE 30.1
State: Texas
THOR #5206
Quote:
Most if not almost RV dealers don’t do chassis Warranty work. You have to go to the chassis manufacturer service center. For Ford you can go to the “ https://fordcommercialvehiclecenter.com/ where you can look for any dealer close to you. Under there description there is an area that describes what vehicles they can handle. If you can find one that takes RVs then call and talk to them. I’m from the Houston area and have had to find service in Washington and Nebraska.
Old 10-17-2021, 01:11 PM   #18

THOR #15026
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastellman View Post
Most if not almost RV dealers don’t do chassis Warranty work. You have to go to the chassis manufacturer service center. For Ford you can go to the “ https://fordcommercialvehiclecenter.com/ where you can look for any dealer close to you. Under there description there is an area that describes what vehicles they can handle. If you can find one that takes RVs then call and talk to them. I’m from the Houston area and have had to find service in Washington and Nebraska.
And isn't it ridiculous that the RV dealers don't do chassis warranty work! I assumed (and wrongly so) that with all the commercial truck service centers in my city that there would be one or more that could service my RV. It makes me wonder how many trucks are on the roads that are missing having some type of work that aneed to be done as well and can't find anyone to do it. Also, the website that is supposed to list Ford Chasis repair shops lists multiple dealers that when called state they don't work on RVs or large trucks and gave tried unsuccessfully to get their name removed from the list. Very frustrating!
Old 10-17-2021, 01:58 PM   #19
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
And isn't it ridiculous that the RV dealers don't do chassis warranty work! I assumed (and wrongly so) that with all the commercial truck service centers in my city that there would be one or more that could service my RV. It makes me wonder how many trucks are on the roads that are missing having some type of work that aneed to be done as well and can't find anyone to do it. Also, the website that is supposed to list Ford Chasis repair shops lists multiple dealers that when called state they don't work on RVs or large trucks and gave tried unsuccessfully to get their name removed from the list. Very frustrating!
What is ridiculous is for someone to even think an RV dealer should be able to perform warranty work on every chassis they sell. Most RV dealers have chassis units from Ford, Chevy, Spartan, Freightliner, Dodge, Mercedes Benz. Can anyone imagine the overhead expense that would be added to the cost of a motorhome.

What is even more ridiculous is the thought that RV buyers don’t take a minute of time to read the warranty for a motorhome before signing the warranty registration document which is part of the sale.

Real world situation that has been happening for decades and if someone isn’t informed in today’s age of information then it’s their own fault.

FWIW, my dealer will service the chassis to include LOF, alignment etc but will not perform warranty work on the chassis. They will gladly charge a minimum of one hour labor each for delivery and pickup from the chassis manufacturer for warranty work if the customer insists. Their latest published rate is 135.00 per hour.
Old 10-18-2021, 12:28 PM   #20

THOR #15026
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
What is ridiculous is for someone to even think an RV dealer should be able to perform warranty work on every chassis they sell. Most RV dealers have chassis units from Ford, Chevy, Spartan, Freightliner, Dodge, Mercedes Benz. Can anyone imagine the overhead expense that would be added to the cost of a motorhome.

What is even more ridiculous is the thought that RV buyers don’t take a minute of time to read the warranty for a motorhome before signing the warranty registration document which is part of the sale.

Real world situation that has been happening for decades and if someone isn’t informed in today’s age of information then it’s their own fault.

FWIW, my dealer will service the chassis to include LOF, alignment etc but will not perform warranty work on the chassis. They will gladly charge a minimum of one hour labor each for delivery and pickup from the chassis manufacturer for warranty work if the customer insists. Their latest published rate is 135.00 per hour.
I don't think it is ridiculous because my dealer only sells Fords.