Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-16-2021, 09:04 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Iowa
THOR #23874
winterizing

question on a 2021 Magnitude when running anti freeze in can you run it thru the tank less water heater or should i bypass the water heater

Old 11-16-2021, 09:49 PM   #2

Model: Magnitude SV34
State: Montana
THOR #17100
When I used antifreeze to winterize (I use air now), i would pull the relief valve until antifreeze came out and then shut the switch off.
Old 11-16-2021, 09:52 PM   #3

THOR #23874
thanks
i have blown the lines out with air but still wanted to run anti freeze thru but wasnt real sure about it first time with the tankless wasnt sure about running it thru it
Old 11-16-2021, 11:29 PM   #4

Model: Compass 23TR
State: Yukon
THOR #13409
I'm not sure which tankless water heater you have - we have a Girard. You can use compressed air to blow the lines out. That works very well.
But if you want to use anti freeze, you do not require a bypass for the heater. In fact, it probably better to send the anti freeze through the lines to ensure there's no water left anywhere. (The reason for a bypass is to save filling up the tank with 6 gallons of anti freeze.)
Make sure you turn the water heater off - at the water heater itself. There's a switch on the heater. Some heaters will turn on at a pre determined temperature. If you boil off the anti freeze, the lines would be empty. And running the heater with empty lines is not a good thing.
Old 11-17-2021, 12:48 AM   #5

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
Tankless water heaters are nothing more than a water coil with a burner inside it. There is no problem running antifreeze through it according to Truma's ops manual. When you de winterize, you will flush water through the coil to remove all of the antifreeze.

David
Old 11-17-2021, 08:10 PM   #6

THOR #23874
thanks everyone appreciate it been waiting to get it back from cummins for a generator problem they had to take the generator out determined its the inverter

said they cant find a inverter may just replace the whole generator

getting it tonight so i can finish the winterizing