Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login

Old 06-26-2017, 11:43 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 27.1
State: California
THOR #3186
I just tightened mine, they were black.

Old 07-18-2017, 12:50 PM   #22

State: Illinois
THOR #6219
Just an FYI. I am a do it yourselfer like all of you and to travel an hour + to have that and a shower curtain checked bugged the heck out of me but my DW made a good point that maybe you are not concerned with but if you do it yourself, the recall is not cleared from your rig. If you sell it, that recall will still be on there. I will say I had both done in a little over a half hour.
Old 07-18-2017, 01:17 PM   #23

Model: Miramar
State: Arkansas
THOR #5754
Completed this week at Camping World Chattanooga. They even corrected the rusted nuts for the wipe blades at no cost. Fantastic service work as well.
Old 07-18-2017, 02:24 PM   #24

Model: Windsport 31S
State: Florida
THOR #4443
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianh442 View Post
My nuts (wiper nuts) are rusted, Coach was delivered Dec 2015. Anybody else have this problem? I found chrome replacement nuts, will have dealer install them and torque to spec.
Chrome will also rust. You need to buy stainless steel nuts.
Old 07-20-2017, 10:59 PM   #25

Model: 2015 Hurricane 34 J
State: Ohio
THOR #1295
Recall not be erased

I am OK with that and so should the buyer as they will get new bolts! lol
2019 Honda Accord 2.0T Sport 6 speed manual
(THOR)
Nursx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 04:55 PM   #26

Model: ACE 29.0
State: Colorado
THOR #2581
Check your nuts!!!

I saw this post when I was in Idaho a couple weeks ago which prompted me to check my wipers. Both acorn nuts were very loose. The one on the passenger side I literally spun off with one finger. The spring washer had just enough bite to hold it. I tightened both nuts very tight and didn't give it another thought, that is until this morning. I was putting new wiper blades on and again noticed both nuts were loose, the one on the passenger side again barely hanging on. I did use my wipers on my return trip to AZ but total time was probably not more than an hour. These blades mount over a sort of spline and there is a small amount of play in it. If the blades are even a tiny bit loose the blade works back and forth on the spline loosening the nut further. My blades have started to wallow out a bit from the back and forth movement which makes the problem worse. I put a healthy dose of loctite on it and tightened it as much as I thought I dare (don't want to strip the gears) and will keep a close eye on it. Don't know if this is a new design but having read all the posts of blades falling off it's a pi** poor one. I'm thinking this one is on ford. In any event I highly encourage you to check this.
Old 08-02-2017, 06:10 PM   #27
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halibut214 View Post
I saw this post when I was in Idaho a couple weeks ago which prompted me to check my wipers. Both acorn nuts were very loose. The one on the passenger side I literally spun off with one finger. The spring washer had just enough bite to hold it. I tightened both nuts very tight and didn't give it another thought, that is until this morning. I was putting new wiper blades on and again noticed both nuts were loose, the one on the passenger side again barely hanging on. I did use my wipers on my return trip to AZ but total time was probably not more than an hour. These blades mount over a sort of spline and there is a small amount of play in it. If the blades are even a tiny bit loose the blade works back and forth on the spline loosening the nut further. My blades have started to wallow out a bit from the back and forth movement which makes the problem worse. I put a healthy dose of loctite on it and tightened it as much as I thought I dare (don't want to strip the gears) and will keep a close eye on it. Don't know if this is a new design but having read all the posts of blades falling off it's a pi** poor one. I'm thinking this one is on ford. In any event I highly encourage you to check this.
The design of the wiper arms has been around for ages and used on various model cars, trucks and buses. Not 100 percent positive but I believe the wipers are Thor and not Ford. I'm pretty sure, again not positive, the stripped chassis does not include wiper assemblies and that has to be installed by the final assembly manufacturer or up-fitter.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 08:39 PM   #28

THOR #2581
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstankov View Post
The design of the wiper arms has been around for ages and used on various model cars, trucks and buses.
While I highly doubt this (same design for ages and wipers suddenly start falling off!?) the point of my post had nothing to do with this. It was to further warn people this has, can, and will happen.
Old 10-18-2017, 10:23 PM   #29

Model: WINDSPORT
State: Texas
THOR #4417
Did anyone get a recall on the recall fix for the wiper?
We just got it dated October 2017 and it says TMC has contacted your selling dealer and has instructed them on how to inspect the windshield wiper system with the updated procedure on your motorhome and repair if necessary. Said to be no cost and take 30 minutes. Apparently the previous recall remedy was not satisfactory.
Old 10-18-2017, 10:50 PM   #30

Model: Miramar 33.5
State: Washington
THOR #578
Received same recall notice. Had mine inspected last spring under the original recall notice. Had another issue arise with the wiper system, not sure if anyone else has had this problem; driving during rain storm, wipers on intermittent, started passing a semi, went to first on position and had the wipers swing all the way over, as looking out the window, the passenger blade swung way over center and became stuck under the drivers wiper.

Talk about pucker factor!! Driving rain, mist from semi ona two lane freeway! Luckily I use rain-x to clean my windshield as well as the additive in my washer reservoir, so the water was beading away pretty good. I was able to safely navigate to an exit and pull the wiper back over! Happened 3 more times on the drive home.

We were on a 2 week road trip early this month, when I arrived home, I found the 2nd recall notice in the mail. Called Thor, they were aware of problem, it is a defective wiper motor assembly. They are sending me a (hopefully) new motor and I will have the dealer install it when it arrives.

Since I’m out of warranty, they are sending me the motor for free, I have to pay for installation!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BD506827-CBE4-4632-BEFE-A36984531050.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	159.7 KB
ID:	7380   Click image for larger version

Name:	0F786527-31CD-4202-A2B9-2711DDA60F5D.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	128.0 KB
ID:	7381  

Old 10-18-2017, 11:35 PM   #31

THOR #2581
Defective wiper motor assembly? The nuts are falling off the wiper! Can someone post the recall notice. I would really like to see exactly what it says to whom it applies and what the fix is. If it's applying locktite to the nuts im sure in the hell not driving 2 hours to have them do something I've already done. They sure aren't replacing the entire motor in 30 minutes.
Old 10-19-2017, 04:53 AM   #32

Model: Miramar 33.5
State: Washington
THOR #578
The way it was explained to me was; if your wiper blades rest horizontal while parked, your motor is ok. If your wipers droop down onto the body while parked or if during operation, they flop over like in my picture, then the gears on the motor are worn. These worn gears allow the wiper arms to flop and over travel. Another contributing factor is the curvature of the windshield and the wiper traveling over that curved portion.

Not sure if this problem is related to the nuts not being tightened properly or if it is a separate issue that has come up. I know this wiper issue has the potential to be a very dangerous problem, like I stated in my earlier post, I’m glad I use rainx, it helped in my situation.

I’m thinking Thor and the NTSB realize this must be a big deal if they are directing a second recall. I’m currently on the road with work, so I can’t post the recall notice, I’m sure someone will post it here shortly.
Old 10-19-2017, 03:59 PM   #33

Model: Challenger 37KT
State: Texas
THOR #1183
Thor wipers have TWO problem areas. One is wiper arm coupling to drive shaft - this can usually be fixed by torqueing nuts to specs. The other is motor drive assembly so far the only reliable fix is to replace the whole motor and drive assembly. I think Thor tried to get away with only one recall but was forced to do the second one. You can DIY number one with a wrench but the latest recall will probably require new parts. I HIGHLY recommend getting the latest recall done. If you can't get it done soon and will be travelling a lot - Rainx the windshield. Rainx will allow you to drive in all but the heaviest rain without using wipers.