Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-11-2019, 10:48 AM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
Now that I have figured out how Thor wired the inverter circuit and fridge, it is a pretty easy change to get the refrigerator on the inverter.

I've decide not to add the separate 15A breaker and just going to use the inverter internal breaker the way Thor wired it.

I just want the flexibility to run the fridge off the inverter in case there are any issues on the propane side.... running low.... regulator problem.... and I've read about some people having issues with the gas lighting at higher altitudes.

Old 06-03-2019, 09:22 PM   #22

State: California
THOR #15311
question on your 1000w inverter

question on what works with your factory installed 1000w inverter. You mentioned your tvs work, do any of your outlets work or anything else using the factory inverter to work?
Old 06-03-2019, 09:28 PM   #23

THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redglow06 View Post
question on what works with your factory installed 1000w inverter. You mentioned your tvs work, do any of your outlets work or anything else using the factory inverter to work?

Only the outlets powering the three TV's and the radio in the garage work off the Inverter the way it was wired from the factory.

I have figured out how I will eventually add my refrigerator to it.

I did recently run a short extension cord from the TV outlet in the garage to the supplemental 5000BTU air conditioner unit in the garage and the Inverter did power it.
Old 06-25-2019, 06:40 PM   #24

THOR #12751
So as I have been considering / planning changes to my Inverter setup. During this process I have discovered that Thor took other shortcuts with respect to the stock Xantrex 1000 Inverter setup.

Besides Thor cutting costs by not installing a breaker for the AC out circuit and choosing to use the internal breaker that was designed for the built-in GFCI receptacle, they did not wire the Inverter directly to the battery with both the positive and negative cables as recommended by Xantrex.

The Xantrex documentation states that the both the positive and negative DC cables should be connected directly to the battery terminals. Thor did not run a negative cable directly to the battery. They ran a short negative cable (~12") and grounded it to the chassis frame instead of running it all the way to the battery. This is not the recommended approach with any Inverter that has the AC hard wired based on everything I have read.

Xantrex also recommends keeping the DC cable length to no more than 5 feet from the battery. I have considered adding another Inverter and was worried about using as much as 15 feet of 2/0 AWG cable. Thor placed the Inverter about as far from the house batteries as they could. The positive cable they ran is probably well over 20 feet from the battery. It also doesn't look like they ran 4/0 or even 2/0 AWG cable for a run that far from the battery.

That's why they ran a short negative to the chassis ground. They didn't want to spend the money to run a 20+ foot negative cable back to the battery.

The more you look into the details of these rigs, the more things you uncover that you really should address if you want things done right.