Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login

Old 08-07-2017, 02:31 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Miramar 34.1
State: Georgia
THOR #8645
Whirlpool Residential Fridge - 2016 Thor 34.1 Miramar

We are still working through issues with our new 2016 Thor Miramar 34.1 . On a recent trip, 256 miles on way. The Freeze reached a temp of 40 degrees while on the recommended setting. The batteries appeared to be working properly. It should be noted while at the RV Campground, Nashville KOA, the freezer was fine at 0 degrees with the recommended setting. Any suggestions on how to resolve this issue. Next trip, I can try adjusting temp but one might think that if the Fridge has the proper amount of power, it should be OK on batteries as well.

Old 08-07-2017, 03:30 PM   #2

Model: Miramar 33.5
State: Washington
THOR #578
Was your inverter on? Did the light in the fridge come on when you opened the door?

How was the battery voltage? Sounds strange, but if your volts are low, it won't allow the inverter to work, even though the engine is running.

If that doesn't work, then check for a tripped breaker!

Let us know how it's resolved!
Old 08-07-2017, 03:30 PM   #3

Model: Miramar 34.4
State: Virginia
THOR #5560
Are you sure that your inverter is working properly? How many volts is your battery putting out?
Old 08-07-2017, 04:42 PM   #4

THOR #8645
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianh442 View Post
Was your inverter on? Did the light in the fridge come on when you opened the door?

How was the battery voltage? Sounds strange, but if your volts are low, it won't allow the inverter to work, even though the engine is running.

If that doesn't work, then check for a tripped breaker!

Let us know how it's resolved!
Yes, the light is on, and the freezer appears to be working. The only thing I can think of to do at this point is adjust the temp. I did not have the ACs on the RV other than the AC in the driver section. Generally, on the Road the Xantrex Pro display voltage appears to be about 12.5 or 12.7 .
Old 08-07-2017, 04:44 PM   #5

THOR #8645
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiramarVA View Post
Are you sure that your inverter is working properly? How many volts is your battery putting out?
Generally, on the Road the Xantrex Pro display voltage appears to be about 12.5 or 12.7 .
Old 08-07-2017, 05:30 PM   #6

Model: Miramar 33.5
State: Washington
THOR #578
Hmm, my Xantrex reads a low of 13.9 up to 14.7 while driving or idling. I also have a scan gauge II which reads direct battery voltage (chassis) battery. It is always the same or within .02 of the Xantrex.

I was having a slide issue a few months ago, partly contributed to low battery volts, even though I was plugged into shore power!

You might want to start by checking the water level in your chassis battery, if they are okay, next I would have the chassis battery checked to insure it's still good. On my last 5,000 mile service, Ford recommend my chassis battery be replaced, I've only had the coach a little over a year and a half, however, no idea how old the chassis battery is, it could have been sitting on the chassis for 6 months or in a warehouse somewhere!
Old 08-07-2017, 06:11 PM   #7

THOR #8645
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianh442 View Post
Hmm, my Xantrex reads a low of 13.9 up to 14.7 while driving or idling. I also have a scan gauge II which reads direct battery voltage (chassis) battery. It is always the same or within .02 of the Xantrex.

I was having a slide issue a few months ago, partly contributed to low battery volts, even though I was plugged into shore power!

You might want to start by checking the water level in your chassis battery, if they are okay, next I would have the chassis battery checked to insure it's still good. On my last 5,000 mile service, Ford recommend my chassis battery be replaced, I've only had the coach a little over a year and a half, however, no idea how old the chassis battery is, it could have been sitting on the chassis for 6 months or in a warehouse somewhere!
I purchased the 'new' 2016 Thor Miramar 34.1 from Lake City Florida Camping World first of June 2017. The unit has been sitting there for some time. I guess I need to disconnect the batteries and check the water levels in the cells. I have a 30 amp 120 line plugged into the RV now while sitting in drive way. It shows 13.2 input voltage on shore power. Not much information to work with from the Thor manual. Looks like another warranty opportunity.
Old 08-07-2017, 08:20 PM   #8

Model: Challenger 37KT
State: Illinois
THOR #7157
Quote:
Originally Posted by luke2261thor View Post
Generally, on the Road the Xantrex Pro display voltage appears to be about 12.5 or 12.7 .

We have a 2017 Challenger and typically the Xantrex reads 13.4 or higher. But I have to ask you was the fridge/freezer door tied shut? It only takes a small gap at the seal to reduce the cooling temps. My cousins residential fridge/freezer had this issue on his first couple trips. He thought it was his inverter or batteries too. He secured the doors and never had a problem again.
Old 08-07-2017, 08:36 PM   #9

Model: Challenger 37KT
State: Illinois
THOR #7157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry & Lynn S View Post
We have a 2017 Challenger and typically the Xantrex reads 13.4 or higher. But I have to ask you was the fridge/freezer door tied shut? It only takes a small gap at the seal to reduce the cooling temps. My cousins residential fridge/freezer had this issue on his first couple trips. He thought it was his inverter or batteries too. He secured the doors and never had a problem again.

Also as a retired electrician I ran a amperage test and the highest current reading was 7.1 amps. The name plate was 7.2 full load, the test was done with the Xantrex 1800 watt inverter voltage at 13.4
If the voltage drops the amps will go up. This will draw the battery down quicker as well. Our longest drive was 10 1/2 hrs and our unit was holding temps with moderate outside temps. Might of been different if outside temps was higher. When on shore power you charge at a trickle rate. Run the generator and it will charge it faster.
Old 08-07-2017, 10:36 PM   #10

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Virginia
THOR #7607
On many refrigerators the freon/cooling takes place only in the freezer compartment. There adjustable freezer temp control is actually is just a damper that will open or close to adjust how much of that freezing air passes through to the fresh food area.
The fresh food compartment has the actual thermostat that will control when the compressor starts and stops in order to keep the fresh food section at the desired temp. 0 to 10 is good in the freezer. The fresh food section is usually just above freezing, 33 to 38
Old 08-09-2017, 12:19 PM   #11

THOR #8645
Apparently, the XM1800 provides a trickle charge of 13.0 or 13.2 volts to the chassis battery. What other information can I get from the XM1800 display?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/sof2luj276...49.36.jpg?dl=0
Old 08-09-2017, 12:49 PM   #12
Site Team

State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry & Lynn S View Post
When on shore power you charge at a trickle rate. Run the generator and it will charge it faster.
Nope, makes no difference to the charger where it gets its 120 VAC. The output voltage depends on the state of charge of the batteries.
Old 08-09-2017, 12:56 PM   #13
Site Team

State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by luke2261thor View Post
Apparently, the XM1800 provides a trickle charge of 13.0 or 13.2 volts to the chassis battery. What other information can I get from the XM1800 display?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/sof2luj276...49.36.jpg?dl=0
???? The XM1800 is an inverter only (AFAIK) and does not provide any DC voltage to the batteries, it converts the DC voltage from the batteries to 120 VAC to run your residential reefer (and maybe other loads) when you are not on shore power or running the generator. Even if it did act as a charger, it would have no bearing on your stated problem.

The fact that your inverter shows 12.5 - 12.7 VDC with the engine running and no AC power indicates either your house batteries are not being charged by the engine's alternator or you have a high resistance connection between your house batteries and the inverter. If you have a voltmeter check the voltage directly at the batteries with the engine running: it should be over 13 volts up to 14.7 VDC.