Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Industry Towables - Travel Trailers & Fifth Wheels > Crossroads RV | Travel Trailers and Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 04-08-2013, 07:04 PM   #1

Brand: Crossroads
State: Wisconsin
THOR #277
2014 Rushmore Lincoln

Hey Everyone, We are new to Crossroads after being very satisfied Heartland Bighorn owners for the past 6 years. We wanted better R factors and more solid construction as we travel and put many miles a year on our 5er. Rushmore Lincoln's front living room impressed us and so we are picking up our 2014 Lincoln in 5-6 weeks. We'd love to hear from any Rushmore owners. How are you doing? What, if any problems are you having? What do you like? Dislike? We had a real concern over the docking area being tucked into a basement wall and not in a dedicated Docking Station like we are used to. We understand they are making a change to it on the 2014 model. It was a deal breaker for us. Love to see a picture tho! Asked both the sales rep and the factory rep for pics and have yet to see any. Thanks in advance for any replies!

Old 04-08-2013, 07:49 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

THOR #124
Hey Robyn, Welcome aboard from one Wisconsinite to another.
I wish you good luck and many happy trips with your new Rushmore.
They are one beautiful rig!!

Now, after having said that, I hate to be a wet blanket, but maybe you should take a look at this thread if you haven't already.
Just so you have a heads up.

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f13...adsup-170.html
Old 04-08-2013, 08:12 PM   #3

THOR #277
Lippert landing gear collapsed

Hi there! Thank you for the heads-up. I did follow this thread and I also went out to the Crossroads Owner's Forum to see if he posted anything there. There's a much more extensive thread out there with constant updates. They were able to get to a resolution rather quickly after he posted on this site. Both companies got involved. The Rushmore factories checked their inventory and retrained their craftsmen. Lippert supposedly went to other rv manufacturers that use their systems to follow up also. At least that's what was reported in the forum.
Old 04-11-2013, 05:57 PM   #4

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Lincoln Rushmore
State: Ohio
THOR #280
2014 Lincoln Rushmore

Just purchased a 2014 Lincoln Rushmore, 5 days ago, not a great start, 1 jack had to be replaced, when they built the slide for the tv/fireplace the used 4" screws that went thru the wiring harness, my salesman is trying to get me help, we live in the unit 6mths a year , hard to just take it in. Other then that so far we love it, the front w/shield sold us, we came from a motorhome.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:21 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

THOR #124
Welcome aboard Rick, and congratulations on that big beautiful Rushmore.

Now what we need is some pics from you folks that have just gotten these new rigs.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:27 PM   #6

THOR #277
Rick9876, So sorry to hear you're having these kinds of problems right out of the gate. Not a good sign for sure. I hope they are good about fixing the issues quickly. Did you get your unit off of a dealer lot or factory direct? Were you able to do a thorough walk down before you picked it up? Have you had to dump the tanks yet? Do you have a hard time getting to the valves under the bed slide? So many questions. Thanks for sharing your experiences with us.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:43 PM   #7

Model: Lincoln Rushmore
State: Ohio
THOR #280
2014 Rushmore Lincoln

We bought it from a dealer, the wiring problem was discovered after we took delivery, wish the valves were in a better spot, also I am not sure if I have an onboard water filter,
Old 04-12-2013, 03:18 PM   #8

THOR #277
We are hoping to hang around for a couple of days to make sure we have a good idea of what if anything needs attention before we leave the area. They say they'll do a thorough walk through with us, we'll see.
When we were researching the past couple of years for the specific 5th wheel that would meet our needs, we settled on Crossroads, and we thought we had hit "pay dirt" when we found their new Rushmore line! It has (on paper) everything we need for extended stay and then some. However, these forums have chilled our enthusiasm to say the least. Now we are just hoping the craftsmen and women on the factory line the week they are building our Lincoln will be highly qualified, alert and not getting paid for "piece work" but for putting out a finished product- passing the highest quality final testing! We truly are at their mercy.
I really do hope they come through for you Rick9876.
Old 04-13-2013, 01:08 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

THOR #124
This is a link for a PDI that I give to a lot of people that are just not sure what to do or what to expect on their PDI. Take a look, if you think it will work for you, then print it out and take it along. I did when we bought our last rig.
http://www.angelfire.com/trek/buenav...PDI_V113_2.pdf
Old 04-13-2013, 04:33 PM   #10

THOR #277
Thanks Lloyd, this looks really good! How do you suggest handling a situation that needs attention? If we find anything during the PDI, we should expect immediate resolution, correct? Also, because we went with a wholesale company and did not purchase off a lot with a specific dealer, we were able to order our Lincoln with all the options we wanted. (We have that list of options to bring with us.) It also means we are at the mercy of the wholesaler we are working with to make the issues, if there are any, right. This wholesaler does have their own service center, and the sales rep we are working with has assured us they will give us a service rep to do the walk through with us. I will definitely post our experience as I am not finding any reviews or other's experiences working with a wholesaler anywhere.
Old 04-13-2013, 08:40 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

THOR #124
First and foremost----DON'T GIVE THEM ANY MONEY UNTIL YOU ARE SATISFIED!!!!
If they are a selling dealer they must/should have a service dept. that is able to fix/take care of any issues that you find.
Some of the members advocate taking a video camera and taping the whole PDI. I think that is a excellent idea. The older I get the more things are not retained in my head. With the video, if you have question later down the road on something, you will be able to (refresh your memory).
After you are satisfied that everything is there and everything works the way it is suppose to, no busted or missing parts, camp in it over night, either on their lot or in a campground close by. Talk to them about doing that and see how they react to the idea. If you notice or find anything, you will be close by so you can come back and get it taken care of.
Good luck. Let us know how it go's. Did you buy in WI.?
Old 04-13-2013, 09:39 PM   #12

THOR #277
Good advice Lloyd. No, we actually went directly through a wholesaler in Elkhart, IN. We've really enjoyed the experience with our sales rep so far. Hoping the rest of the experience goes as well. We also have been in contact with their WI factory rep. Seems like a great guy also. I have been in contact with the both of them throughout this entire process. My husband is really good at handling tough situations and has already given me the "be prepared to walk away if needed" speech. I doubt very much it will come to that as these people seem to know what they're doing and seem reputable. We take folks at their word, so that's how we will go into this until they prove to be different.
Old 04-14-2013, 11:21 AM   #13

State: Indiana
THOR #234
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjhewitt View Post
Good advice Lloyd. No, we actually went directly through a wholesaler in Elkhart, IN. We've really enjoyed the experience with our sales rep so far. Hoping the rest of the experience goes as well. We also have been in contact with their WI factory rep. Seems like a great guy also. I have been in contact with the both of them throughout this entire process. My husband is really good at handling tough situations and has already given me the "be prepared to walk away if needed" speech. I doubt very much it will come to that as these people seem to know what they're doing and seem reputable. We take folks at their word, so that's how we will go into this until they prove to be different.
Sounds like Great Lakes RV Center to me. My wife and I purchased our unit from them. The sales people that we dealt with were great to talk with. The salesmen walks you through the unit prior to you handing over the check. Once you purchase the unit, the service tech takes over and does oriantation of the unit. The tech was able to discuss in detail what he knew. When he didn't know something it was awkward.
We had seen these units at a Tampa show in January 2012. Actually looked at many brands and made a decision from there.
We were looking for rear living and painted this color (in avatar pic.).
We were told (from salesman) that we could stay on site and plug in and check everything out. If something was wrong we could get it fixed the next day.
Well, during the tech oriantation he tells us that they don't have more than 110 volts to plug into outside. It was 87 degrees on March 20, 2012 in Elkhart, IN. We needed to run the air and other electrical items. We had not made any arrangements with a campground due to what we had previously discussed with our salesmen. So, this didn't set well.
The advertising stickers were not peeled off. The unit was not cleaned in or out. The old bag that owns the place was more concerned about getting our picture beside the unit then what our concerns were. They knew when we were arriving. I gave then 10 days in advance. Then checked with them before we took the 17 hour drive to pick it up.
There were other things that I'm not even going to mention. THEY SUCK!

2012 Infinity 3850RL
2011 Ford F-350 FX4 6.7 Diesel
Infinityrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 10:38 PM   #14

State: Indiana
THOR #234
rjhewit,

I hope that all goes well during your purchase and after the sale. We all hope for the same thing when we purchase these units
Unless things have drastically changed in a year, here's the deal.
Your thought of "craftsman" is a farce. The man or women is not only building your high end megabuck unit. They are building pop-ups and everything else in between. Depending upon which unit build sheets are in front of them.
"Piece work" is the only way that production can be done beyond snail speed. These 5th wheel units or whatever they're working on that day are done in segments. There is a certain portion of that unit that will be built
that day or group of days. It will not be inspected by "inspector twelve" he doesn't exist. A forman will inspect the work. Remember, this work has to be said complete to move on to the next segment. The forman knowing this; his thoughts are, 'this just has to look good to go through'. 'Any issues can be taken care of under warranty later'.
There was a list of items that we accepted knowing that these would be taken care of under warranty. The grocery list grew once we got it home to Maine and found things that really should not have been passed through at the factory.
If you believe that there will be a difference between how your new Crossroad was built versus my Dutchmen, think again.
Redwood is a highend unit and is manufactured through Crossroad. Read the Redwood forum. Fact of the matter is all these units are under THOR.
Thor is the owner of all these different companies. Thor is looking for sales. Unfortunately, they do not seem to be all that about the quality of their units that leave these factories.
For your sake, I hope that all your thoughts are correct of how your unit will be built. That your purchase is issue free and you have a problem free ownership of your new 5er.

Best wishes, Good Luck!

2012 Infinity 3850RL
2011 Ford F-350 FX4 6.7 Diesel
Infinityrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 01:45 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Model: Zinger ZT26BL
State: North Carolina
THOR #91
remember that while what infinity river says is true, it is also true for all manufacturers. the key to buying any type of rv is finding a dealer with a good service reputation. Please do not be disheartened yet as the majority of units produced are good but some do come through with major problems, most will only have minor problems. Again this is true of all manufacturers.
anaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 06:15 PM   #16

Model: Coachman Brookstone
State: Iowa
THOR #284
I'm also looking at getting a Lincoln and have some concern about the docking station. Hopefully they are changing that. I have now noticed dealers posting pictures of the 2014 Lincoln and see no difference as to where the docking station is. I just don't think I would like the way it is now.
Old 04-16-2013, 10:18 PM   #17

Brand: DRV
Model: 36RSSB3
State: Texas
THOR #88
With us it was a 50/50 deal. Our first Crossroads unit we bought in 2005 was a good one and never saw the dealer after purchase. Our second unit we bought in 2008 has been a POS. We have yet to take a trip in it that something didn't break or go wrong. We just got back from a one week trip and we now have a water leak under one of the sinks. For the first two years of our warranty it spent more time in the shop than we used it. No way we would own another Crossroads product especially now that they have cut the warranty in half and seem to be having quality issues they can't seem to solve. Crossroads use to be one of the best on the market but after they were bought out by Thor and the new management team took over they have taken a nose dive in quality and customer service.
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 07:37 PM   #18

THOR #277
Hey there fellow Wisconsinite Loyd! Well, we are new owners of a Lincoln! We LOVE the floor plan!! We picked her up March 6th, went out a couple of times so far and identified some small warranty issues. We need to be ready to hit the road by August so we decided to take it is right away to have them taken care of. The two biggest issues are the kitchen slide and the front air conditioner. The slide wasn't extending or retracting evenly and it was causing a rubbing on the top corner. The front living room is great! However the AC would cool with the vent on the unit open, but not through the ducts. We are even considering upgrading to a 1500 up there as it has the 13.5 and we are concerned it won't keep up in the Summer FL heat. (Our next job.) Otherwise the other issues are things like replacing one of the folding chairs(crack in the leg), re-trim the front window(the interior sill is buckling, and the trim pieces were never tacked in place), reset the leveling system(it thinks it's level but it's not), a light out in the bedroom etc... Hopefully nothing huge, but if we did it ourselves CR wouldn't know the issues. We are also trying to develop a good working relationship with our service center. So far I have sewed up new window treatments throughout and when we get it back have plans to add backsplashes in the kitchen and bathroom. We are very pleased with our purchase so far. Planning on a 4th of July family outing, so we are counting on getting it back by then. How are things with you? Just thought I'd update you!
Robyn from Wis Rapids.
Old 06-13-2013, 08:23 PM   #19

Brand: DRV
Model: 36RSSB3
State: Texas
THOR #88
Quote:
However the AC would cool with the vent on the unit open, but not through the ducts. We are even considering upgrading to a 1500 up there as it has the 13.5 and we are concerned it won't keep up in the Summer FL heat.
If your 13.5k unit is not blowing cold aiir through the vents and only through the Quick Cool port then you have a duct issue. A 15k is not going to fix that problem. I would get it back to the dealer and have this looked at under the warranty. Poor cooling from the front AC on the Rushmores (especially the FL floor plan) is a known issue on the CR forum so they have an issue with the front ductwork they need to address.
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 01:37 AM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

THOR #124
Hi Robyn:
Good to hear from you, plus it's nice to hear you are pretty happy with your new Rushmore. I have to admit, I've never seen a Rushmore, other then a picture. We don't have any dealers close by. I probably should put that on my to do list. Sounds like it must be pretty comfortable.
It's to bad the AC isn't doing it's job, but like hunter11 stated, there is an issue with those units. If I remember right, the ducting isn't closed off on the ends and or the ducts aren't sealed where the registers hook in. If that's the case then I agree with Keith that going to a bigger AC won't solve the problem.
Hopefully everything will get resolved and you will be a happy camper.
enjoy that family get together.

Tags
2014 rushmore lincoln