Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Industry Towables - Travel Trailers & Fifth Wheels > Crossroads RV | Travel Trailers and Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 09-21-2023, 01:55 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: California
THOR #10528
Trailer Protection Recommendation (Alaska)

We have begun our planning to drive from Calif to Alaska in 2024. We sold our Class A and purchased a truck / Outdoor Mountain Trailer w/ heavy duty suspension . In many of the blogs regarding driving to and in Alaska, folks comment that the front of the trailers/RVs take a beating from rocks as many roads are gravel (due to ongoing road construction or simply being the road bed of choice in permafrost areas). Mudflaps on the truck help a little, but not enough.

My question is: What would you recommend to place (cover) on the front of the trailer to protect it from road debris and how would you install it so that it stays in place while driving?

Old 09-21-2023, 05:11 PM   #2

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Not Alaska, and not a trailer... but after six weeks of driving lots of gravel roads in Colorado and Kansas, here's what I'd recommend.

Install heavy duty anti-sail mudflaps on the truck. Then consider a full width "mudflap/rock guard" under the truck's rear end - just in front of the rear bumper. That should stop 95% of rocks being thrown.

As far as protection on the front of the trailer, I'd apply several coats of a high quality wax (I use a product called RejeX) to prevent bugs and road grime from imbedding into the fiberglass (or paint).

I pulled a Jeep Wrangler and didn't have any rock problems... just tons of road dirt mixed with bug splatter. Washed off easily with the RejeX on the Jeep.
Old 09-21-2023, 06:00 PM   #3

Model: ACE 30.3
State: Iowa
THOR #28145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
Not Alaska, and not a trailer... but after six weeks of driving lots of gravel roads in Colorado and Kansas, here's what I'd recommend.

Install heavy duty anti-sail mudflaps on the truck. Then consider a full width "mudflap/rock guard" under the truck's rear end - just in front of the rear bumper. That should stop 95% of rocks being thrown.

As far as protection on the front of the trailer, I'd apply several coats of a high quality wax (I use a product called RejeX) to prevent bugs and road grime from imbedding into the fiberglass (or paint).

I pulled a Jeep Wrangler and didn't have any rock problems... just tons of road dirt mixed with bug splatter. Washed off easily with the RejeX on the Jeep.
And don't be surprised when something gets around all the "protection". I once had a bit of truck tire blowout debris get thrown up that took out one of the turn signal / parking light lenses and put a 1/16" deep crease in the front fender of my 1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The dent was not even as bad as a door ding. I got the broken light replaced but the dent was so minor I dodo not bother to have it fixed, it is still there to this day.

Former 1996 28' Tiffin Allegro owner
Dan-sr@perra-us.net is offline   Reply With Quote