Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Industry Towables - Travel Trailers & Fifth Wheels > Crossroads RV | Travel Trailers and Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 12-12-2020, 01:10 PM   #21
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Check with mattressinsider.com.

Old 12-12-2020, 02:08 PM   #22

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2011 FW Hurricane 33T
State: England
THOR #16471
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Thanks for asking!
After 9 Months: I'm back to being Bi-Pedal!
GREAT! So you are able to do all these? From Wiki:

There are a number of states of movement commonly associated with bipedalism.
  1. Standing. Staying still on both legs. In most bipeds this is an active process, requiring constant adjustment of balance.
  2. Walking. One foot in front of another, with at least one foot on the ground at any time.
  3. Running. One foot in front of another, with periods where both feet are off the ground.
  4. Jumping/hopping. Moving by a series of jumps with both feet moving together.
Old 12-12-2020, 02:42 PM   #23

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Thanks for asking!
After 9 Months: I'm back to being Bi-Pedal!
Glad all is better
Old 12-12-2020, 03:23 PM   #24

Model: Palazzo 36.1
State: Tennessee
THOR #11607
We just replaced ours with a hinged mattress from mattress insider. Allows me to have a full length and no issues when slides are closed. Great to work with. Communication was great and actually delivered early even though they told me up front of delays due to Covid. Very happy with their product.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo56 View Post
While on the subject of mattress’, what manufacturers have you folks found, that make folding RV mattresses. Ours is terrible. Even with a 2 inch topper. And with the topper, it doesn’t fold up completely, and hits the thermostat button turning the AC from 73 to 99.
TripleGGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 05:13 PM   #25
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldWEB View Post
GREAT! So you are able to do all these? From Wiki:

There are a number of states of movement commonly associated with bipedalism.
  1. Standing. Staying still on both legs. In most bipeds this is an active process, requiring constant adjustment of balance.
  2. Walking. One foot in front of another, with at least one foot on the ground at any time.
  3. Running. One foot in front of another, with periods where both feet are off the ground.
  4. Jumping/hopping. Moving by a series of jumps with both feet moving together.
That sounds like a lot of work.
I'm just happy to be able to get to the bathroom without having to orchestrate the move.
Old 12-13-2020, 10:20 PM   #26

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleGGG View Post
We just replaced ours with a hinged mattress from mattress insider. Allows me to have a full length and no issues when slides are closed. Great to work with. Communication was great and actually delivered early even though they told me up front of delays due to Covid. Very happy with their product.
Are you able to send me a picture of the hinged mattress with slide in? And with slide out? I looked in their website. Yours must be custom. I’ll call tommorow.
Old 12-15-2020, 01:21 AM   #27

Model: Palazzo 36.1
State: Tennessee
THOR #11607
Yes it was a custom order. Took about 8 weeks. They had a slight delay due to Covid but communication was great. They kept me notified of time frame without me having to check in.

I don't have any pictures. I'll try to get by storage facility this weekend. Slammed with work this week.
TripleGGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 08:00 PM   #28

State: Michigan
THOR #25411
https://photos.app.goo.gl/g5NZomg9cZk3CraSA
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerFam View Post
we've just encountered this same phenomenon ourselves, after having lived in our motorhome off and on for over 6 years, much of that time as full-time living - I started noticing dark 'moisture' or a wet spot under the upper end of our bed mattress, quite by accident, when I simply moved the mattress to 'turn it'. Our bed is situated at the rear of the coach, on the back wall. It sits right over the engine, the diesel engine. The bed frame is basically a 'box' that sits over the top of the engine, all plywood as the 'base' for the bed.
I realized fairly quickly that while it may seem initially that it 'must' be a leak, or outside water or moisture intrusion from the base of the bed, or from the engine itself, it's probably none of those. I realized that this happens while we are parked, for LONG periods of time, and certainly not the engine itself. Since water doesn't typically move up, either, it wasn't any leak.

I've found also that the bottom of the mattress is VERY MOIST, and yes, starting to show signs of molding. After some cursory searching on the net, it seems that this is actually not that uncommon with solid foam mattresses. They are not well designed to sit on SOLID surfaces, since there's no way for the mattress to 'breath'. It needs to breath since a solid foam mattress easily traps body heat, sweat, etc and has little way get rid of it since little airflow enters the area. A typical spring mattress has a 'cavity', so this very rarely any problem with those, and they also don't typically lay right on a solid surface.

I tried several things to mitigate not having to replace the mattress, which has worked very well over 6 years - using small 1/2" x 1/2" wood strips to provide some air flow below the mattress, and even places wood paneling over those strips for the mattress to also lay on - either way, the moisture continued.

We recently, just this week, decided that the 'full-time' living with a sold foam mattress, like this Denver mattress that came with the coach, might not be a good choice - RV manufacturers, and mattress manufacturers, don't probably contemplate folks sleeping EVERY NIGHT of the year on these mattresses, on a sold platform, with no air flow - so we went to Sams Club and picked up the Queen 'firm' spring mattress on sale for $299.00 to replace it. It seems to work very well, and is basically as comfortable as the original mattress, along with a 3" foam topper that we had added only a year ago.

I just check the bottom of the new mattress, and the top of the platform, and no worries... no more moisture.
You were able to fix this issue by just buying a sprig mattress? This is what is happening under my mattress. I do not think there is a leak but more of condensation forming under the bed do to the temp outside and the temp inside and that it just needs some ventilation. Will not be camping forever in this colder weather but I will be from time to time so I would like to figure out a solution just to fix the issue.