Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Industry Towables - Travel Trailers & Fifth Wheels > Keystone RV | Travel Trailers and Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 06-09-2021, 02:35 PM   #1

Brand: Keystone
State: Illinois
THOR #23766
GSWH-2 Girard Water Heater

Hello Everyone:

I hooked up this water heater last week. Made sure I have 12 volt power to the wires I am running; good there. Hooked up black cord from back of water heater to my white neutral on a AC Romex, red to my 12 volt hot wire coming from the camper switch (this is ultimately hooked to the RV control box). Water pressure seems more than sufficient; not 100% sure on consistency of flow but it doesn't sound like it is having issues. I have propane in the tank; don't think it is 100% full but I know it has some because I turned on the oven. I did make the mistake of exposing the connection on the gas line to air when I unhooked the old tank; gas was off of course. So perhaps I need to purge? I'm thinking these could be some potential issues but do you have any ideas as to why the water heater won't even turn on?

Old 06-09-2021, 02:50 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
You said you connected it to the "RV Control" box. Not sure what you mean by that but I assume you are using the Girard Control Panel for operating the unit, correct?

The white power switch needs to be in the "on" position in the outside unit. Then you need to turn the power on at the Girard Control Panel using the red button and then set the desired termperature before the gas box will allow propane to flow and ignite when the hot water starts flowing and calls for heat.

You will want to purge your propane lines. Trying lighting a stove or running the furnace to get all of the air out of the lines as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Girard.PNG
Views:	44
Size:	329.1 KB
ID:	31228  
Old 06-09-2021, 03:06 PM   #3

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
I don't know what this means: "Hooked up black cord from back of water heater to my white neutral on a AC Romex, red to my 12 volt hot wire coming from the camper switch (this is ultimately hooked to the RV control box)"

Are you saying that you hooked up to the coach's 110V neutral? There should be NO AC connection.

On mine DC power goes to the Girard and not through an external switch. As Judge noted the outside on/off switch has to be on. You also have to turn the display switch on.

When sufficient water flows through the Girard you should see the display showing a "pump turning" icon and the water temp rising. If there is no propane then the water temp will not rise.

David
Old 06-09-2021, 03:09 PM   #4

THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidEM View Post
I don't know what this means: "Hooked up black cord from back of water heater to my white neutral on a AC Romex, red to my 12 volt hot wire coming from the camper switch (this is ultimately hooked to the RV control box)"

Are you saying that you hooked up to the coach's 110V neutral? There should be NO AC connection.
Good catch! You are correct and this is a DC only water heater.
Old 06-09-2021, 04:52 PM   #5

Brand: Keystone
State: Illinois
THOR #23766
I am only using AC for neutral, not for the hot wire. I do not have any other neutral wires running to it so I used the AC neutral; I wouldn't think that would matter. If it does, could you please explain why? The hot wire is 12 volt; it would be an issue if I was trying to use 110 v for the hot. I turned the external white switch on. I have another switch that is above my sink that supplies the 12 volts to the unit. Neither the unit nor the controller for the unit will turn on. I'm assuming the controller won't turn on because the unit obviously isn't drawing any power.
Old 06-09-2021, 05:00 PM   #6

THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstreet12 View Post
I am only using AC for neutral, not for the hot wire. I do not have any other neutral wires running to it so I used the AC neutral; I wouldn't think that would matter. If it does, could you please explain why? The hot wire is 12 volt; it would be an issue if I was trying to use 110 v for the hot. I turned the external white switch on. I have another switch that is above my sink that supplies the 12 volts to the unit. Neither the unit nor the controller for the unit will turn on. I'm assuming the controller won't turn on because the unit obviously isn't drawing any power.

A white neutral wire for an AC circuit is completely different than a black negative wire in a DC circuit. You cannot mix AC and DC wiring!!!!

AC circuits provide alternating current while DC circuits provide direct current and each one has its own separate source for generating power / voltage.

The reason the unit will not power on is that you have the positive (red) wire attached to the + side of 12V power supply but the negative (black) wire is connected to the neutral wire of an AC circuit (that is not ground or the negative side of 12V) so the unit is not connected to the negative post (-) of the 12V power supply (house battery / Converter) so you have no power to the unit.

The attached is right out of the Girard Service Manaul.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-06-09 at 12.58.17 PM.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	102.8 KB
ID:	31230   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-06-09 at 1.02.11 PM.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	147.7 KB
ID:	31231  

Old 06-09-2021, 05:10 PM   #7

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstreet12 View Post
I am not going to comment further. You obviously need an electrician to sort this out. Any further comments by us could be aiding a disaster.

David
Old 06-09-2021, 05:20 PM   #8

THOR #12751
Fair point..... he is playing with AC that could be live. He does need to call an electrician.... and maybe a plumber to make sure the propane is connected properly and not leaking as well.

Dumpster fire in progress.....