Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Industry Towables - Travel Trailers & Fifth Wheels > Redwood | Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 09-21-2021, 06:23 PM   #21

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
dk - edumacate me... when you do your "40psi blowout" do you have the pump ON - even briefly? Would that be necessary, or would it depend on how the plumbing is routed? I'm thinking about adding this to my winterize routine.
I have pump off.

From my view when I turn pump off and drip dry (minute or two) I am 99.9% water free and ready for the next Texas freeze. But I pull out the compressor and blow my lines just to watch it spit what little residuals it can find. I got a nice compressor with pressure regulator; plus a really really nice blowout plug adapter, by golly I am gonna use them whenever I get a chance

I don't see the plumbing being a factor other the technonese about which faucet you may wish to open first as you go from fixture to fixture. I just start with the one my beer is closest to, or 1st first one I see

btw, I ordered the Aerospace 303 Wipes. When my current spray bottle of 303 goes out, I will see if the wipes work better and last longer? I think it may because I don't have to spray on microfiber cloth and one wipe may do a lot more than I think? It comes with 40 wipes. And my favorite part, it is about $5 cheaper. I know most RV owners don't seem to care about cost of stuff; seems like if you can buy RV you are automatically afforded an unlimited supply of gas , but to me being thrifty is how I was able buy my RV, and saving money is a fun part of the entire game.

2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 11:16 PM   #22

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
Where is your line that feed the water pump, and when your pump has pumped all the water that it can physically pump from your tank; how much water do you think is still left in tank? OP is saying he has 10 gallons left
Maybe a gallon, fitting is on the other end if the wall at the bottom
Old 09-21-2021, 11:37 PM   #23

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwmcguire View Post
Maybe a gallon, fitting is on the other end if the wall at the bottom

Yeah if they have two drain (output) lines on one tank, I guess you could argue that using both in tandem can resolve the poor design; which by default ends up being an effective solution Having one drain line with water tank on a slight slope toward the the one drain line (assuming the coach is otherwise level) is all that I have and need. I can see the water in the translucent tank and when it is Empty it is 100% empty.

But my lesson learned for today is that it appears to be or use to be standard practice for RV Mfgs to have both drains; to which I agree with Pete 100%, why? It would be akin to having two drains in the RV shower, because all water may not drain.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 09-25-2021, 06:34 PM   #24

Model: Thor Ace 33.1
State: Illinois
THOR #20274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbro418 View Post
I am trying to drain my fresh water tank, since the drain valve is not at the bottom of the tank there is a considerable amount of water left in the tank. I have tried to use the levelers to angle the water to the drain but still water is left in the tank. I kept all the spigots open to prevent a suction. Is there another valve that I am unaware of?
My 33.1 is like yours the drain is in the back about a half inch up from the bottom. I empty it and drive with the drain open with stainless steel up the drain to keep bugs out but water runs right out. My motorhome doesn't have low point drains. My low point is the outside shower. Do like everyone says drain the water and run pump till empty, blow the lines, drain water heater, run antifreeze through and your done leave the faucets open. Many people here don't use antifreeze, I do because we get 20 below or more weather here. I also remove all my antifreeze out when done, can't freeze what's not there
Old 09-25-2021, 11:16 PM   #25

Model: Hurricane 35M
State: New Jersey
THOR #5166
My tank would hold 3/4 inch and mold. I cut in these cleanouts and vac out water to clean then wipe down with bleach
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3FC83237-46F7-4DE9-99CB-40806593D43C.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	130.7 KB
ID:	33877  
Old 09-26-2021, 01:19 AM   #26

Brand: Cruiser
Model: Georgetown 30x3
State: Idaho
THOR #17441
Quote:
Originally Posted by bevedfelker View Post
What model Thor do you have? There is no standardized way Thor has configured their tanks and valves. I find it hard to believe there is no drain in the the bottom of the tank (somewhere).
My Georgetown 2020 Class A and earlier trailers likewise did not have bottom drain. A couple inches of water can freeze in it and not hurt anything.

I agree it is a stupid design. My Arctic Foxes had large bottom drains.
Old 09-26-2021, 01:24 AM   #27

THOR #17441
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
I’ve never understood the purpose of having BOTH a tank drain and low point drains. I use the low point almost exclusively to drain my fresh tank and my water heater. It’s faster and easier than the alternatives.
The low point drain is to drain the pipes in the RV. The tank drain is separate. The pump has a check valve at the outlet so nothing drains back through it.
Old 09-26-2021, 01:41 AM   #28

THOR #17441
Quote:
dk - edumacate me... when you do your "40psi blowout" do you have the pump ON - even briefly? Would that be necessary, or would it depend on how the plumbing is routed? I'm thinking about adding this to my winterize routine.
You should run the pump on air to ensure it is dry.
Old 02-05-2022, 05:22 PM   #29

Model: Outlaw 38KB
State: Florida
THOR #23660
Just saw your post. I have the 2022 38KB in Canada. To winterize, I blew out how and cold from the wet bay. Opened low point drains hot and cold. Also drained fresh tank with tank valve. I had no problem draining the majority of the fresh tank by tilting the rig so the tank biased to the drain. As commented by others, there should only be a few pints of H2O left in the fresh tank. This will not present any freeze up problems and our 38KB. Was winterized to -25c this year. I have it up and operational now heading down the west coast of USA and no water problems. Good luck in your travels.
Old 02-06-2022, 03:01 AM   #30

THOR #13058
Quote:
Late in seeing this...

No, my pump is off when blowing out.

My pump has to be on to drain via the low point lines. I don't have a gravity tank drain. When I am blowing out, it is not to blow out the tanks but the fresh water supply lines. the fresh water tank is 100% BEFORE i start to blow it out.

Having a gravity grain is a nice to have options, but is not necessary IMO