Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 01-20-2017, 02:56 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 37LX
State: Florida
THOR #6310
1/2 Bath door Challenger 37LX

Hello all! New to the forum. We brought home our new 2017 Challenger 37LX about 2 weeks ago. About to take it on our first 2 day shakedown cruise in the morning. She got a front end alignment, tire balance and shave a week ago. Hopefully all goes well this weekend.

Anyway, I have two questions about the half-bath door. First, does anyone have a towel bar rack on the back of theirs? We looked at several 37LXs and one had a towel bar but the one we ended up buying does not. Is it supposed to be there? Thor says no, but we can't determine if this was an option or standard equipment. It wasn't listed as an option that was added to the other one we looked at. Second, is that door knob supposed to lock? Ours has just a lever handle that opens the door but no lock. Seems like a lock would be a necessity to me, for privacy sake.

Thanks in advance for the input!

Old 01-20-2017, 03:24 AM   #2

Model: Vegas 27.7
State: Kentucky
THOR #6005
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradnKaren View Post
Hello all! New to the forum. We brought home our new 2017 Challenger 37LX about 2 weeks ago. About to take it on our first 2 day shakedown cruise in the morning. She got a front end alignment, tire balance and shave a week ago. Hopefully all goes well this weekend.

Anyway, I have two questions about the half-bath door. First, does anyone have a towel bar rack on the back of theirs? We looked at several 37LXs and one had a towel bar but the one we ended up buying does not. Is it supposed to be there? Thor says no, but we can't determine if this was an option or standard equipment. It wasn't listed as an option that was added to the other one we looked at. Second, is that door knob supposed to lock? Ours has just a lever handle that opens the door but no lock. Seems like a lock would be a necessity to me, for privacy sake.

Congratulations on your new coach and good luck on your first adventure. there are a ton of people on here that are ready to help in any way we can. Just ask.
Old 01-20-2017, 11:13 AM   #3

Model: Challenger LX
State: Colorado
THOR #3922
We have a 2016 LX. No towel rack, no lock on the door. However, we do love our LX! Currently in the Keys, loving the RV life!
Old 01-20-2017, 11:37 AM   #4

Model: Challenger LX
State: Colorado
THOR #3922
Some things to check on your shakedown: 1) run your generator for at least an hour to make sure there are no overheating issues. There is a Cummins Onan service bulletin out on this issue. 2) Hit your windshield with a hose, and turn the wipers on high. Better to find any problems this way, rather than at 65 mph in a rainstorm. 3) Run your water system in "Normal" and City Water" modes. Run your hand under the water control panel, along the various hoses, and note any water droplets. You'll want to fix any hint of a leak before you are out and about. 4) Use a bubble level on the floor of your coach to make sure the auto leveling system is calibrated properly. The auto leveling system may indicate "Success" but that may not really be correct.
Old 01-20-2017, 01:17 PM   #5
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Sometimes a coach will have a "show" option that includes little trim and appearance items included for displaying the coach at an RV show. The towel bars you see on other may have been included by a dealer for that reason.

Take what Thor tells you with a grain of salt. They told me they removed the sub-woofer from the 2015 Challenger 37ND. During a fiasco with a cat getting under the couch I found where the sub-woofer was located. When I looked at the technical drawings they say the sub-woofer was removed for 2015 yet one was installed in my coach during the build.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 01:25 PM   #6

THOR #6310
Thanks for the input! j37genie, thanks for that list of items to check. We haven't yet connected to city water so will check that thoroughly. I knew about the wiper issue from reading the forums, so my husband put Rainex on the windshield as we are expecting rain in our area on Sunday when we will be driving home.

dstankov, that show thing makes perfect sense. The one RV we saw that had the towel rack was not at a show, but had a fair amount of wear and tear and 188 hrs on the generator, indicating it had been used as such. That's the main reason we didn't buy that one.

This forum is an amazing resource and we are thankful for it. We read just about everything here before we made our purchase, and will continue to do so. Looking forward to eventually being the helpful ones posting.
Save
Save
Old 01-21-2017, 09:08 PM   #7

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
THOR #5821
We had no towel bar in our 2017 Gemini, and when I questioned Thor about that, their response was and I quote, 'when we do install them, customers always tell us its in the wrong place, so now we just let the customer install their own'. Seemed to us there was only one spot for a towel bar, I installed one there.
Old 01-22-2017, 02:15 AM   #8

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Georgetown 31L5
State: Ohio
THOR #6277
My 2017 Hurricane 35M has both the towel bar and door lock on the 1/2 bath. I doubt that I'll be using the towel bar, because I don't want wet towels sitting (literally) up against the wood on the door. The lock on the 1/2 bath door can be opened by any key (or flat object, for that matter).
Old 01-22-2017, 01:05 PM   #9
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocP View Post
My 2017 Hurricane 35M has both the towel bar and door lock on the 1/2 bath. I doubt that I'll be using the towel bar, because I don't want wet towels sitting (literally) up against the wood on the door.
We use it for DRY towels ready for the next shower... Easy to pick it off when needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocP View Post
The lock on the 1/2 bath door can be opened by any key (or flat object, for that matter).
As can any household interior locking bathroom door (well - the hole is too small for any key - but a small flat blade screwdriver will do it... or even a piece of music wire with a flat filed on it.)
Not intended for security - just convenience.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 03:55 PM   #10

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Brad, the Tuscany coach we used to have did not have a lock on the bathroom door. I went to Lowes and purchased an interior locking door handle set in oil rubbed bronze to match the existing hardware, simple exchange. I also added another towel bar, also in bronze, to have room for two towels.

Congratulations on your new coach!!! Lots of things to customize to your own taste and needs. If you need help just ask, lots of nice people here willing to help!
Old 01-23-2017, 09:34 PM   #11

THOR #6310
I think two standard towel bars mounted to the back of the door and a locking bed/bath door knob replacement will do the trick. The Thor towel rack would be a problem for me when hanging wet towels. We do have guests with us fairly often so both those items are needed. Thanks for the input!
Old 01-25-2017, 01:12 AM   #12

State: Maryland
THOR #3920
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradnKaren View Post

I have a 2017 LX and there are no towel bars in the half bath, only one for a hand towel to the left of the sink. We have one in the full bath on the right when you enter the full bathroom. With three people, I though about mounting one behind the toilet or possibly under the cabinets over the toilet. For now, we settled for one that hangs over the shower door. Nothing big and heave, but a plastic one from Walmart that will usually hold 1 or 2 towels at max.
2017 Thor Challenger 37LX, Westward interior, Riverside paint job. Upgraded to 4 battery setup, Splendide 2100XC Washer/Dryer combo, Progressive Industries HW50 EMS, Heavy Duty Steering stabilizer, and TST TPMS 6+4 setup for tow vehicle . Member FMCA

RVCampingNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 01:43 AM   #13

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #4486
We have the 37TB and no locks on either bathroom door and no towel rack mounted on a door.
2015 Ford Taurus toad
schreinertms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 11:24 AM   #14

State: Alabama
THOR #3789
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstankov View Post
Take what Thor tells you with a grain of salt. They told me they removed the sub-woofer from the 2015 Challenger 37ND. During a fiasco with a cat getting under the couch I found where the sub-woofer was located. When I looked at the technical drawings they say the sub-woofer was removed for 2015 yet one was installed in my coach during the build.
Dave, WOW... we have to hear that story again? LOL... I never found one...
Old 01-25-2017, 11:29 AM   #15

THOR #3789
Quote:
Originally Posted by schreinertms View Post
We have the 37TB and no locks on either bathroom door and no towel rack mounted on a door.
I think no locks on bathroom door for safety. We just make a big scene and a joke about it before we go. Always knock on door before going in and look for a light on under the door.
Old 01-25-2017, 01:21 PM   #16

THOR #4160
We didn't install a towel rack in the mid bathroom because no shower; however, we did install an additional towel rack in the rear bathroom above the toilet and under the cabinets. I personally wouldn't put one on the mid door because I would be concerned about it damaging the door with any extra weight.

If you are not already on RVillage.com, please join. I would love to meet other Challenger owners through our travels and compare upgrades and modifications.