Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 10-31-2022, 04:18 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 27.7
State: Texas
THOR #28384
120V AC while driving

Took our 2020 Vegas on first long road trip and are trying to figure out if this is normal:
While the motorhome is in motion, should we still have use of the 120v AC outlets? ours are all dead, until we get hooked up to shore power OR run the generator - is this typical?
If not, is there a setting or step we overlooked regarding the battery/converter/control panel, etc.? Or other spots to check?

Many thanks for any insights!

Old 10-31-2022, 04:31 PM   #2

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
They will only work while the generator is running or you are plugged into shore power. If your unit has an inverter (normally standard with a residential fridge) there will be one or two outlets that will get 120V from the inverter as long as it is turned on. Mine has one in the bedroom. Plus, the Ford F550 chassis comes standard with a 400W, 120V plug built into the dash for computers, phones, etc. You can install an inverter yourself and wire it to one or two of the outlets if you choose. It draws it's power from the coach batteries. This will give you 120V power with no genset running or boondocking with no shore power. Be careful...it can drain your coach batteries quickly.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2022, 05:41 PM   #3

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
In 2021 Thor started delivering the Axis/Vegas with a DC fridge, not a residential fridge which requires 120V AC. Before that the DC fridge was an option. The standard was an absorption fridge.

AFAIK an inverter was not even an option in the 2020-21 model years but if you are the second owner, maybe the PO installed one.

It wouldn't be too hard to install one behind the cabinet next to the entry steps. What do you want to use 120V for while driving? The standard batteries will only power limited AC loads, ie the TV or maybe the microwave for a few minutes. A TV will draw maybe 100 watts or about 9 amps DC powering an inverter to run it. The microwave will draw as much as 1,000 watts or about 90 amps DC to power it. Using a microwave for a couple of minutes to heat up a cup of coffee won't be too bad, maybe 3-5 amp hours DC.

I would install a 1,000 watt inverter to deal with these kind of loads while driving if you don't want to start the generator to do it. Make sure you wire it to the batteries with big wire, at least #6.

David
Old 10-31-2022, 06:48 PM   #4
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max2020 View Post
Took our 2020 Vegas on first long road trip and are trying to figure out if this is normal:
While the motorhome is in motion, should we still have use of the 120v AC outlets? ours are all dead, until we get hooked up to shore power OR run the generator - is this typical?
If not, is there a setting or step we overlooked regarding the battery/converter/control panel, etc.? Or other spots to check?

Normal unless you have an inverter turned on and connected to the 120 outlet(s)
Old 10-31-2022, 07:27 PM   #5

THOR #28384
Thanks to all.
We are just looking for an outlet or two to charge phones, laptops, etc. or maybe even watch a TV while on the road. All we have right now is power in the center of the Ford dash via USB or cigarette lighter plug - (we have an outlet in front of passenger seat but it is part of coach electrical system and is dead while driving).

Can someone enlighten me on difference between an inverter & a converter?
I just assumed that underway, the chassis generator charges the battery (DC), which was then converted to AC for use in the coach - am I off base? From responses, it sounds like this is something I would need to add (if we really need it).
Also - we bought it new in 2020, so no previous mods were made by previous owner.
Thanks again,
Mike
Old 10-31-2022, 07:32 PM   #6
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Thanks to all.
We are just looking for an outlet or two to charge phones, laptops, etc. or maybe even watch a TV while on the road. All we have right now is power in the center of the Ford dash via USB or cigarette lighter plug - (we have an outlet in front of passenger seat but it is part of coach electrical system and is dead while driving).

Can someone enlighten me on difference between an inverter & a converter?
I just assumed that underway, the chassis generator charges the battery (DC), which was then converted to AC for use in the coach - am I off base? From responses, it sounds like this is something I would need to add (if we really need it).
Also - we bought it new in 2020, so no previous mods were made by previous owner.
Thanks again,
Mike

Hey Mike:

A CONVERTER takes 120 VAC from SP or the generator and converts it to 12+ VDC for DC house loads and battery charging.

An INVERTER takes that 12 VDC from the batter and makes 120 VAC for AC loads (like your plug-in outlets.

There are many threads on this forum about adding an inverter to an Axis/Vegas but it sounds like you might be able to get by with a small portable one that plugs into a "cigarette lighter" power outlet and then use an extension cord to the TV.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2022, 07:38 PM   #7

THOR #28384
Smile

Thanks for the insight. So now I know the answer to my initial question: no 120VAC in the coach while driving is the way Thor designed the system. I wanted to make sure there was not some electrical gremlin that i needed to track down.
Old 10-31-2022, 08:03 PM   #8

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Quote:

Hey Max 2020 vegas. My tech put in an inverter with breaker box and wired microwave and every outlet.
We just push a button while driving to activate.
THE BEST INVESTMENT FOR US!
He is a 30 year rv tech & electrician.
He placed the inverter in the cabinet next to the batteries and the breaker box under fridge next to the fuse box.
No issues 25 000 miles with it.
Lora loves driving and watching TV or movies.
Good luck
Old 10-31-2022, 08:31 PM   #9

Model: Thor Ace 33.1
State: Illinois
THOR #20274
Quote:

I put fast chargers in the ports on the dash and you can do the same for a laptop. You could get a lithium generator to power the tv and that could be pugged into 12 volts to keep it charged while driving. Mine has a 20ah battery and my 65 inch tv only takes .6 amps, you could watch tv all day and night
Old 10-31-2022, 08:50 PM   #10
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Johnson View Post
I put fast chargers in the ports on the dash and you can do the same for a laptop. You could get a lithium generator to power the tv and that could be pugged into 12 volts to keep it charged while driving. Mine has a 20ah battery and my 65 inch tv only takes .6 amps, you could watch tv all day and night
What's a "lithium generator"? Do you mean lithium battery pack with built-in small inverter (power bank)? AKA "Solar generator" when paired with solar panels for charging.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2022, 09:02 PM   #11

Model: Thor Ace 33.1
State: Illinois
THOR #20274
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
What's a "lithium generator"? Do you mean lithium battery pack with built-in small inverter (power bank)? AKA "Solar generator" when paired with solar panels for charging.
It's a stupid thing they call a lithium power station and yes it has an inverter and will accept solar panels
Old 10-31-2022, 09:14 PM   #12

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Johnson View Post
It's a stupid thing they call a lithium power station and yes it has an inverter and will accept solar panels
Agree on "stupid". You have to use electricity to charge it up so you get electricity from it. Kinda like powering your home from your EV...where'd you get the power to charge the car...from your home!?!?
Old 10-31-2022, 09:20 PM   #13

Model: Four Winds 23U
State: Nevada
THOR #27334
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
Agree on "stupid". You have to use electricity to charge it up so you get electricity from it. Kinda like powering your home from your EV...where'd you get the power to charge the car...from your home!?!?
This seems to be pretty common tactic, calling things 'generators' that are just battery packs....
widdershins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2022, 11:41 PM   #14

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
For the kinds of things the OP mentioned: device charging (although that can be easily done with a cigarette lighter/USB plug in), laptop charging (which will need 120V AC to power its brick) and TV which definitely will need 120V AC but not so much, maybe 100 watts max, a 150 watt cigarette lighter plug in inverter should work fine.

David
Old 11-01-2022, 12:35 AM   #15

Model: AXIS 24.1
THOR #22774
Invertor Installation

You have couple options.

1. You could purchase a TV that runs off 12v.

2. Install an invertor to power one or two circuits in the RV. This is what I did. I installed a 1000W invertor to power the outlets & MW when boondocking or driving. Here is the schematic. You need to install a fusable switch on the positive line to the invertor as a precaution. I used 2/0 cables so that I could upgrade to a 2000w invertor down the road.

RV Electrical Mods_10252022 (1).pdf
Old 11-12-2022, 01:01 PM   #16

State: South Carolina
THOR #22342
Great schematic!

This seems to be a very typical request, to add a plug for charging, running TV and small appliances.

Under the seat, there is a cutout in the floor that i could run an electrical wire up thru the floor from the battery compartment ACE 30.4. This works great on trips when we stop and use a 1000 W inverter mounted right over the batteries. Installs easily to the underfloor. This plug is limited to computer charging, TV. I run a little night light to indicate the inverter is on.

The second issue was keeping the refrig running during trips. I ran a line aft and into the main distribution center. Not as elite as a ATS. A manual switch to change pwr source for Refrig to inverter works for me. Been a yr and no issues, otherwise i have the propane option on my refrig.

Very interesting the Engr types on this site. Cant do this in aviation, to much regulation and certification required.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2022-04-10_17-15-58.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	40089   Click image for larger version

Name:	2022-04-11_17-06-57.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	103.5 KB
ID:	40090  

Click image for larger version

Name:	2022-04-10_17-16-32.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	40091   Click image for larger version

Name:	2022-04-10_17-16-48.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	40092  

Old 11-12-2022, 04:17 PM   #17

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
Quote:

If your MH is equipped with an onboard generator why not just fire it up while traveling? Then all 120 plugs & appliances will be powered, same as if boondocking. No installation required, just a little extra fuel, but if you have the Ford V10 what's the difference between 7 mpg & 6..
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2022, 06:21 PM   #18

Model: Hurricane 29M
THOR #11781
A small jackery from Harbor Freight would not be the worst thing to take when boondocking. No, it is not a generator, but then they don't advertise it as such. It is a small power bank.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote