Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-09-2022, 07:29 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Oregon
THOR #20043
'18 Vegas 25.5 Leveling

I have read several posts about adding Bigfoot Levelers to the Vegas coach. My shop called Thor and they advised that on the 2018 25.5 Vegas you cannot add levelers. Is the config of the 25.5 such that no levelers (gas or electric; Bigfoot or other) can't be added? Anyone have a different experience? What solution did you go with? Thanks for your help. Here is the note from the shop:

Tech was able to contact Thor and spoke to them about the electric levelers being added to your Vegas. Unfortunately the system will not work on the Vegas. Due to the exhaust location, fuel tank etc, the only thing that could be added are 2 stabilizer jacks on the rear. they will help to stabilize the motor home but will not level or lift it. I am sorry that we could not find a solution that could be installed on your Vegas. The configuration of the chassis will not allow anything to be installed on the underbelly except for the very rear and cannot withstand the weight.

Old 03-09-2022, 08:06 PM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
I suggest you call Bigfoot and see what they have to say about installing their system on your RV.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 08:53 PM   #3

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
You may not care about doing this, but I have handled leveling at SPs, NPs, USFS Parks all with a pair of heavy duty trunk ramps that cost about $150 for the pair. I was going to wait a year before considering Bigfoot levelers for my 2021 Axis 24.1 but after camping 30 times last year, I am convinced that ramps are low cost, effective and not difficult to get the coach leveled out.

David
Old 03-09-2022, 09:23 PM   #4
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Welcome to the site.

The only thing I'd add to David's comment is: We've had our 24.1 for 8 years now without levelers. We use the lynx leveling blocks and added a LevelMate Pro to the coach to make finding level easy.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 09:40 PM   #5

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Regency Ultra Brougham IB
State: Arizona
THOR #13468
For years we camped using leveling blocks and I never saw the reason for installing a leveling system. Blocks did not seem to take too long and were far less expensive.

However about a year ago we traded our RV for a new B+ and it came with an Equalizer leveling system installed and after using it I would not care to go back to blocks. Blocks are OK, but I have to say that I now level in about 90 seconds rather than the 10-15 minutes it used to take when the ground was not close to level, and I no longer find myself backing off the blocks and changing their height to get level. In addition getting back on the road after camping takes about 30 seconds. I no longer have to get under the RV and retrieve and clean the blocks, nor store them away. And if it rained at night getting and cleaning the blocks used to be a nightmare if we were boondocking, with all of the mud. No longer.

Leveling systems are expensive, but they are very convenient so I can understand wanting to use them.
Old 03-09-2022, 11:16 PM   #6

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
Fifteen minutes to level with blocks might make sense given that you have to assemble them, but it takes me about half of that time with truck ramps. Admittedly this might only be feasible with the Axis 24.1 with its long side storage compartment or the full width aft storage compartment.

I back into the site, and stop about 5' out from my final location. Then I get out and eyeball the situation. I may also take a reading with my iPhone on one or both directions. Then I pull out the ramps and put two in place. It is almost always the two rear wheels that need raising since most campsites where we camp drop down to the lake or water. I set one up close to the tire and the higher side further out 1-3'. BTW I use the ramps on the outside wheels only. Don't tell me that this is hard on the tires- they don't move!

I then back down to where the lowest ramp has raised the wheel to where I want it and then get out my iPhone and check in both directions. 80% of the time I get it right the first time but sometimes I have to adjust and try it again. Once in a blue moon I have to get out another pair of shorter ramps and use one on the front wheel. My criteria is +/- 1 degree or less which I can't feel inside and is three times better than Dometic's specs for absorption fridges.

It really does take only a few minutes on average and I can not justify $3-4,000 to install levelers to save that little time.

David
Old 03-10-2022, 12:47 PM   #7

THOR #20043
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
I suggest you call Bigfoot and see what they have to say about installing their system on your RV.
That’s a good idea. I’ll give it a shot. Thx
Old 03-10-2022, 12:48 PM   #8

THOR #20043
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidEM View Post
You may not care about doing this, but I have handled leveling at SPs, NPs, USFS Parks all with a pair of heavy duty trunk ramps that cost about $150 for the pair. I was going to wait a year before considering Bigfoot levelers for my 2021 Axis 24.1 but after camping 30 times last year, I am convinced that ramps are low cost, effective and not difficult to get the coach leveled out.

David
That’s what I do today. Was hoping to simplify things. Thx
Old 03-10-2022, 12:49 PM   #9

THOR #20043
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Welcome to the site.

The only thing I'd add to David's comment is: We've had our 24.1 for 8 years now without levelers. We use the lynx leveling blocks and added a LevelMate Pro to the coach to make finding level easy.
I’ll check out the levelmate. Thx for the pointer.
Old 03-10-2022, 12:51 PM   #10

THOR #20043
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJMike View Post
For years we camped using leveling blocks and I never saw the reason for installing a leveling system. Blocks did not seem to take too long and were far less expensive.

However about a year ago we traded our RV for a new B+ and it came with an Equalizer leveling system installed and after using it I would not care to go back to blocks. Blocks are OK, but I have to say that I now level in about 90 seconds rather than the 10-15 minutes it used to take when the ground was not close to level, and I no longer find myself backing off the blocks and changing their height to get level. In addition getting back on the road after camping takes about 30 seconds. I no longer have to get under the RV and retrieve and clean the blocks, nor store them away. And if it rained at night getting and cleaning the blocks used to be a nightmare if we were boondocking, with all of the mud. No longer.

Leveling systems are expensive, but they are very convenient so I can understand wanting to use them.
Yep. That was the hope. Thx
Old 03-10-2022, 12:52 PM   #11

THOR #20043
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidEM View Post
Fifteen minutes to level with blocks might make sense given that you have to assemble them, but it takes me about half of that time with truck ramps. Admittedly this might only be feasible with the Axis 24.1 with its long side storage compartment or the full width aft storage compartment.

I back into the site, and stop about 5' out from my final location. Then I get out and eyeball the situation. I may also take a reading with my iPhone on one or both directions. Then I pull out the ramps and put two in place. It is almost always the two rear wheels that need raising since most campsites where we camp drop down to the lake or water. I set one up close to the tire and the higher side further out 1-3'. BTW I use the ramps on the outside wheels only. Don't tell me that this is hard on the tires- they don't move!

I then back down to where the lowest ramp has raised the wheel to where I want it and then get out my iPhone and check in both directions. 80% of the time I get it right the first time but sometimes I have to adjust and try it again. Once in a blue moon I have to get out another pair of shorter ramps and use one on the front wheel. My criteria is +/- 1 degree or less which I can't feel inside and is three times better than Dometic's specs for absorption fridges.

It really does take only a few minutes on average and I can not justify $3-4,000 to install levelers to save that little time.

David
Yes the 25.5 is shy on the storage front. I carry to sets of levelers. Thx
Old 03-10-2022, 02:04 PM   #12

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Limitations of the Big Foot levelers are generally related to two things: First being the height of the frame rails from the ground at the mounting points; second being the distance and clearance above/around the frame rails at the mounting points.

The jacks must have a certain safe ground clearance when retracted - BUT they need to be mounted low enough to allow for reasonably effective lifting for leveling purposes. It's a tricky give and take compounded by other structural elements. I have the Ford E-350 cutaway chassis (class C). The levelers fit fine, although ground clearance was sacrificed somewhat. The Snap Pads were not an option for me... they blew the ground clearance equation.

Big Foot can adjust the mounting to a degree. However, depending on where MH components (tanks, etc.) are installed, there may not be room to satisfy what I described above. Big Foot has detailed records of most MH configurations... I also recommend making a call to them.
Old 03-10-2022, 04:39 PM   #13

THOR #20043
Thank you for the info.
Old 03-16-2022, 07:28 PM   #14

Model: 25.4
State: California
THOR #7440
I bought an installed the HWH hydraulic levelers on my 2017 AXIS 25.4, not sure why your coach would be any different, I did have to modify the rear install as the generator is in the way of the left rear mounting bracket but a call to HWH the rep was able to explain the fix, , I have had them on since 2017 an have not had any problems, its not a DIY install for the average person but I am a retired Heavy Equipment Mechanic so I had to tools and the know how
Old 03-16-2022, 07:46 PM   #15

Model: Thor Ace 33.1
State: Illinois
THOR #20274
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBRoving View Post
Yes the 25.5 is shy on the storage front. I carry to sets of levelers. Thx
I had a 2020 class c without levelers and after crushing two ramps and a bag of yellow blocks we traded it in for a motorhome that had levelers. I would never buy one without them
Old 03-16-2022, 09:14 PM   #16

Model: Vegas 25.5
State: Florida
THOR #12686
I have met two couples that had Big Foot levelers installed on their Vegas 25.5. I have the same coach (2018 25.5) but decided I didn't want to give up the storage room for the hydraulic components or add weight. I just use a few lego blocks and I have Level mate Pro to tell me how many to use and where. I'm lazy but I can afford a few minutes to lay those blocks down... and they don't take up much room in my Jeep while traveling.
pavemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 09:37 PM   #17

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBRoving View Post
I have read several posts about adding Bigfoot Levelers to the Vegas coach. My shop called Thor and they advised that on the 2018 25.5 Vegas you cannot add levelers. Is the config of the 25.5 such that no levelers (gas or electric; Bigfoot or other) can't be added? Anyone have a different experience? What solution did you go with? Thanks for your help. Here is the note from the shop:

Tech was able to contact Thor and spoke to them about the electric levelers being added to your Vegas. Unfortunately the system will not work on the Vegas. Due to the exhaust location, fuel tank etc, the only thing that could be added are 2 stabilizer jacks on the rear. they will help to stabilize the motor home but will not level or lift it. I am sorry that we could not find a solution that could be installed on your Vegas. The configuration of the chassis will not allow anything to be installed on the underbelly except for the very rear and cannot withstand the weight.
Big Foot said bring it in for review. Vegas 25.6
But we have never taken long to level.
The key with single slide is to make sure slide side is up a little if site not level

We use 1 or 2 ...2 tire length yellow blocks. Then when slide out all level. Then we put down right jack.

When leaving we raise right stabilizer. Retract slide. Raise left
Old 03-16-2022, 10:59 PM   #18

THOR #16721
Quote:
Originally Posted by pavemike View Post
I have met two couples that had Big Foot levelers installed on their Vegas 25.5. I have the same coach (2018 25.5) but decided I didn't want to give up the storage room for the hydraulic components or add weight. I just use a few lego blocks and I have Level mate Pro to tell me how many to use and where. I'm lazy but I can afford a few minutes to lay those blocks down... and they don't take up much room in my Jeep while traveling.
I have a class C (Ford cutaway chassis) and Big Foot mounted the pump and reservoir on the inside of a frame rail, not in a storage compartment. I would think an Axis/Vegas wouldn't be much different?? Weight wise was close to an even swap considering I was using 2x6 PT boards... enough for very unlevel mountain campsites. So we actually gained storage space by chucking all those leveling boards.
Old 03-16-2022, 11:39 PM   #19

Model: 2022 Vegas 25.6
State: California
THOR #24413
BigFoot shop in Tampa installed their system on my 25.6 Vegas and it works perfectly. It took them all day and a lot of swearing, but they did a great job.
Yes, access to the frame at the bottom is tight, but they managed it.
Old 03-17-2022, 02:31 AM   #20

THOR #16721
Quote:
Originally Posted by electric View Post
BigFoot shop in Tampa installed their system on my 25.6 Vegas and it works perfectly. It took them all day and a lot of swearing, but they did a great job.
Yes, access to the frame at the bottom is tight, but they managed it.
Where did they install the pump and reservoir? The Big Foot HQ in White Pigeon MI only took about 2 hours for my install... including welding. Very tidy install.