Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 08-12-2016, 09:14 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: Virginia
THOR #4950
Overpass Clearance

On my 2015 Axis 24.1 I see that the height of the unit is 11' 3" does that include the AC unit?

Old 08-12-2016, 09:40 PM   #2

State: New Jersey
THOR #1592
Yes axis Vegas units are 11.3 with ac included,it should tell you in your specs with and without ac height.
Old 08-30-2016, 08:23 PM   #3

State: Tennessee
THOR #4234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djfred View Post
Yes axis Vegas units are 11.3 with ac included,it should tell you in your specs with and without ac height.
Where would the specs be that have the measurements with and without the a/c unit? I saw specs online at the Thor site but it didn't mention whether "with" or "without."

thanks, debbie
Old 08-30-2016, 08:28 PM   #4

Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2601
The specs were on my 2015 Vegas brochure on the back -- listed height with & without AC.
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 08:43 PM   #5

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
Ed's right, 11'3" for the Axis - I actually measured mine before I left on this trip. I have 11'6" in my Garmin GPS - just to be sure. Sometimes when they resurface the road, they do not remeasure the height.
Old 08-30-2016, 09:04 PM   #6
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
FWIW, I was in Davenport, Iowa last week and when I was going back to my hotel one evening I turned onto Brady Ave and low and behold there was a tractor trailer stuck under a RR overpass. The Overpass was clearly marked, in 12 inch numbers as being under 12 foot. The truck had ripped off the top to its sleeper and about 2 feet of the trailer height going back about 5 feet. That driver had to be distracted in some way to not see the clearance marking.

I as well set my GPS for 3 extra inches of height just in case.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 09:40 PM   #7

Model: Freedom Elite 29fe
THOR #4656
Never trust the specs. Measure your unit from the highest point to the ground. So you don't forget it, post it somewhere in your line of vision.
Old 08-30-2016, 10:11 PM   #8

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
ours is 11' 9" with the a/c units, but with my King tailgater Dish portable antenna, it's probably right at 12' with air bags up.

we've been many, many miles across country and thru Canada and have only had a single instance where I 'thought' I might have a problem - the north side of Chicago on Hollywood blvd(i believe) - a train/road underpass was marked at 12'. Driving very slowly, and nervous, we made it under with no problem... I've seen other areas in our travels that could cause some tension, such as several tunnels around Yellowstone, and thru the BlueRidge Parkway, but most are not only clearly marked, but have warnings marked well in advance of the roadway before you turn onto it.

I'll also give you something else to think about - while we all need to be aware of height issues, remember that underpasses are normally measured at their 'Lowest Point between the roadway and the underpass anywhere within the road lane' - basically meaning that the middle of the roadway is probably NOT the lowest point, but along the outside edges, especially for tunnels and arched bridges.
The highest point on your coach is normally the top of your a/c units, which are typically 6" to 12" in height, which is in the MIDDLE of the roadway, so the outer edges of your coach roof are probably well within any height concerns. (even though it may not 'feel' that way!)

I normally watch for semi trucks ahead - if they had no problem with the height, then I certainly won't. Drive on!
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 10:26 PM   #9

Model: Travato
THOR #1765
Another thought, the height measurement does not take into account the wheelbase of your unit. In some old RR underpasses in the Northeast, there is a considerable down slope going into the underpass and an uphill coming out. Depending how steep those slopes are and your wheelbase, you can add more than several inches to your high point.
Old 08-30-2016, 11:02 PM   #10

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneilkeys View Post
Ed's right, 11'3" for the Axis - I actually measured mine before I left on this trip. I have 11'6" in my Garmin GPS - just to be sure. Sometimes when they resurface the road, they do not remeasure the height.

Second that. When I had our 25.2 weighed, they also checked the height, and it measured 11'3". Set my Garmin at 11' 6" to be safe.
Old 08-31-2016, 07:40 PM   #11

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneilkeys View Post
Another thought, the height measurement does not take into account the wheelbase of your unit. In some old RR underpasses in the Northeast, there is a considerable down slope going into the underpass and an uphill coming out. Depending how steep those slopes are and your wheelbase, you can add more than several inches to your high point.
This is exactly my concern.
It could also be the other way... as in a bridge or overhang at the crown of a hill
Old 08-31-2016, 07:45 PM   #12

Model: 37GT
THOR #5246
My last two fivers were 13'4" and 13'5", so I tend to be extra cautious. Even though I utilize a Garmin RV GPS with all my measurements in it I always checked my next days route with my Trucker's Atlas just to make sure there were no low ones coming up.

I know what the specs say for my current coach but until I actually get the 10' step ladder and 6' level out I won't know for sure. Pretty important information to have correct.
US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 10:12 AM   #13

THOR #4234
Quote:
Originally Posted by bevedfelker View Post
The specs were on my 2015 Vegas brochure on the back -- listed height with & without AC.
With all said, I will measure, or get measured before the big trip out west at the end of this month. I still don't know where my "specs" are. Should it be part of the MSRP? General RV gave me a cut and paste MSRP, not the actual one. I'm after them for my original MSRP or next I'll be emailing Thor.

Good info here about bridges, how they may be measured, highest portion, etc. Thank you all. For now, I'll put 12' in Garmin for height, but will get the actual when I find someone to help me. ~debbie
Old 09-02-2016, 10:52 AM   #14

Model: Nexus Viper 27V
THOR #2142
One and all,

Which Garmin do you have that requests height?

Doc

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 11:12 AM   #15

THOR #4234
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocMike View Post
One and all,

Which Garmin do you have that requests height?

Doc
Garmin RV 760LMT requests height
Old 09-02-2016, 11:16 AM   #16

Model: Nexus Viper 27V
THOR #2142
Thanks.

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 11:23 AM   #17

Model: hurricane 32n
THOR #4158
My Rand McNally also takes measurements.
Crawfordville Fl. Vietnam Vet.
Jegdrum5050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 01:15 PM   #18

Model: 37GT
THOR #5246
I misstated, my GPS is a Rand RV GPS. A couple of years ago when I bought mine they were well over $300. Now they can be had for well under $300.

You enter all your measurements, height, length, width, how much propane you carry, etc..... Then when you enter a destination it is suppose to not route you on any roads where you will not have clearance or it would be illegal for you to go.

IMHO no one should just blindly follow any type of GPS, no matter if it is an RV one with all your measurements in it or not. When traveling routes should be checked in advance for height and width restrictions using a Trucker's Atlas or a computer based reference. With our 5th wheels my main concern was height restrictions being 13'5" tall, but now with the MH I am not as tall but am much wider with my mirrors.
US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 05:25 PM   #19

State: Oregon
THOR #2271
I guestimate larger

I put 15 ft into my Garmin 760 RV for the height. I know that it a large fudge factor. But I would rather be safe. On a recent trip, it routed me along the truck lane on a turn between 2 freeways. That was fine with me.
Old 09-02-2016, 07:58 PM   #20

State: Texas
THOR #2121
Only real height clearance I've experienced were low trees going down a one-way street in Key West trying to find parking. Not sure a GPS would have helped under those conditions.

Ever since I make it a point to look way down the road for low branches, particularly on one-way streets where I can't turn around.