Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-10-2021, 01:52 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 34 B
State: Virginia
THOR #22976
Exclamation 2008 Hurricane wheel nut torque?

We just had new tires mounted on our 2008 Hurricane 34B by a mobile shop.

When they reattached the wheels they simply used a Snap-on battery-powered impact driver and finished it with a pneumatic impact driver.

I noticed this only after they had finished the front wheels and I asked them how many foot-pounds they were torqueing to. They had no idea...

The Snap-on driver is rated at 140 ft/lbs, but it's anyone's guess what it really is. I shudder to think what the pneumatic impact driver (which was HUGE) is capable of.

They didn't have (own?) a torque wrench so I had them snug up the nuts with the battery-powered driver until they can return with an actual torque wrench.

Now the big question:
Based on the VIN-lookup tool on ford.com I have a F-550 chassis. However, the wheel size Thor (Four Winds) put on is different from what a regular F-550 would have. Does anyone know the proper torque value for the wheel nuts? According to the 2007 Ford Owner's Manual for the F-550 it would be 150 ft/lbs. Does that sound right?
On a related note, does anyone have any information on the infamous wheel nut torque requirements? Many (most?) tire installers just wing it, but the manufacturers seem to be adamant that it's crucial to apply the right amount of torque.

Old 06-10-2021, 02:47 PM   #2

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by To Camp View Post
We just had new tires mounted on our 2008 Hurricane 34B by a mobile shop.

When they reattached the wheels they simply used a Snap-on battery-powered impact driver and finished it with a pneumatic impact driver.

I noticed this only after they had finished the front wheels and I asked them how many foot-pounds they were torqueing to. They had no idea...

The Snap-on driver is rated at 140 ft/lbs, but it's anyone's guess what it really is. I shudder to think what the pneumatic impact driver (which was HUGE) is capable of.

They didn't have (own?) a torque wrench so I had them snug up the nuts with the battery-powered driver until they can return with an actual torque wrench.

Now the big question:
Based on the VIN-lookup tool on ford.com I have a F-550 chassis. However, the wheel size Thor (Four Winds) put on is different from what a regular F-550 would have. Does anyone know the proper torque value for the wheel nuts? According to the 2007 Ford Owner's Manual for the F-550 it would be 150 ft/lbs. Does that sound right?
On a related note, does anyone have any information on the infamous wheel nut torque requirements? Many (most?) tire installers just wing it, but the manufacturers seem to be adamant that it's crucial to apply the right amount of torque.
To properly tighten your wheel nuts to the manufacturer's recommended specs - 150 Ft-Lbs (204 N·m) for Bolt Size M14 x 1.5 (19.5 inch wheels), or, 450 Ft-Lbs (610 N·m) for Bolt Size M22 x 1.5 (22.5 inch wheels) - you will need an accurate and properly calibrated torque wrench. Please make sure that the wheel nuts or bolts are torqued while the wheel is "in the air" but the vehicle has been lowered, which means the wheel has to be as close to the ground as possible, almost touching the ground or pavement (use wheel chokes to stop the wheel from spinning when torquing the wheel nuts or bolts). This is to ensure proper torque reading and wheel setting.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 03:51 PM   #3

THOR #22976
Thanks for confirming those values!

Now to convince the mechanics...
Old 06-10-2021, 04:19 PM   #4

Model: 2011 FW Hurricane 33T
State: England
THOR #16471
The tire shop had torqued ours to 150 ft/lbs and asked us to return after ~50 miles for a re-torque.
Old 06-10-2021, 06:33 PM   #5

THOR #22976
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldWEB View Post
The tire shop had torqued ours to 150 ft/lbs and asked us to return after ~50 miles for a re-torque.
See, that's what I expected - especially from a company that's been doing it for 30 years. Instead the answer to my question on how much they torqued it to was, "Dunno...". Same answer when I asked what the spec is for my chassis, or what their tools were rated at. They didn't even seem to know that a spec of X ft-lbs on their tool merely indicated what their wrench was capable of on paper - and not in any way a calibrated value. Besides, what about different vehicles? They use the same wrench on all of them.

When I called the shop location to ask about it, the owner said he hasn't used a torque wrench in 30 years...

To be honest, I have had similar experiences with tire chain locations. Once I had a wheel nut come loose after just a few miles. I noticed it because it had started to rattle. No way they had torqued that properly.

Now that I'm on my soap box, same with tire rotations, oil changes and the like for regular vehicles at nationwide dealerships.
I've actually taken to introducing what I call a "control bug". I'll make sure that something's wrong - even if it's just the windshield washer fluid being empty. No way they can be trusted if they mark "checked and topped off all fluids" on the service sheet if it's still empty when I pick up the vehicle.
Old 06-11-2021, 04:23 AM   #6

Model: Damon Daybreak
State: New Mexico
THOR #19133
Quote:
Originally Posted by To Camp View Post
See, that's what I expected - especially from a company that's been doing it for 30 years. Instead the answer to my question on how much they torqued it to was, "Dunno...". Same answer when I asked what the spec is for my chassis, or what their tools were rated at. They didn't even seem to know that a spec of X ft-lbs on their tool merely indicated what their wrench was capable of on paper - and not in any way a calibrated value. Besides, what about different vehicles? They use the same wrench on all of them.

When I called the shop location to ask about it, the owner said he hasn't used a torque wrench in 30 years...

To be honest, I have had similar experiences with tire chain locations. Once I had a wheel nut come loose after just a few miles. I noticed it because it had started to rattle. No way they had torqued that properly.

Now that I'm on my soap box, same with tire rotations, oil changes and the like for regular vehicles at nationwide dealerships.
I've actually taken to introducing what I call a "control bug". I'll make sure that something's wrong - even if it's just the windshield washer fluid being empty. No way they can be trusted if they mark "checked and topped off all fluids" on the service sheet if it's still empty when I pick up the vehicle.
I'm really leery of a company that won't use a torque wrench on lower torque applications. I understand when tightening to 450 ft lbs or so, using a 3/4" impact driver and just wailing on them, but at 150 ft lbs, you can damage or break wheel studs or strip lug nuts. At least use a torque stick and pretend you're professional.