Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 07-18-2020, 12:33 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: New Hampshire
THOR #12937
2014 hurricane 32n ac/heat/blower

Was driving the other day with the chassis vent on and turned on the chassis ac. When I did that it went dead. Can’t feel anything coming out of the vents now whether it is on ac heat vent or defrost. It also does not seem to even turn on for any of that either.

Seems like it would be a fuse that blew when I turned on the ac. I’ve checked the ones in the fuse box inside (beside the brake pedal) and in the distribution box under the hood that are labeled blower fan or ac in the owner’s manual. I replaced a couple of relays as well. No luck. Any ideas on other ones to check or other things to check?

Old 07-18-2020, 10:24 PM   #2

Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
I assume from your description that the blower motor no longer works and you have checked the usual suspects (fuse boxes etc)?

Does your 2014 have the RV Custom Products BCC (Battery Control Cabinet) mounted on driver side front? I think it might, but not sure which year Thor stopped using the BCC in Hurricanes. If your coach has the BCC, there is a 25 amp fuse #2 on P5 connector inside the BCC that says it feeds the HVAC Blower motor......you could try to check that fuse. It could also be a failed Accessory relay inside the BCC but that would affect more than just the blower motor (like jacks). Be very careful inside the BCC.....you don't want to do any accidental welding in there. Schematic attached FYI (check P5 right side).

If you don't have the BCC, since you have checked all other fuses and relays you say.......it might be an open ground connection to the blower motor (assuming motor is OK). The ground on many blower motor systems is provided through a blower motor fan speed resistor network inside the blower plenum. If the first series resistor (feeds ground into the series resistor network) has failed open, it may have also killed the ground side connection to the dash blower motor through the fan speed resistor network.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RV Custom Products Schematic.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	109.4 KB
ID:	25002  
Old 07-18-2020, 11:56 PM   #3

THOR #12937
It does have a BCC. Thanks, I'll check that fuse out. Thanks!
Old 07-19-2020, 01:55 PM   #4

THOR #2631
Just to clarify, I previously mentioned fuse #2 on connector P5 in the BCC; that should have been: 25 amp fuse F9 on pin2 of connector P5 in the BCC. I am also not sure that will correct your blower fan issue but it is worth a try; just be careful inside the BCC.

I am attaching another view of the BCC fuses for you since getting into the BCC on some coaches may require some contortionist body twisting and some choice words for the numbskull at the factory that decided to mount the BCC where it is. Hope you get it working.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BCC cct Board.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	168.1 KB
ID:	25009  
Old 07-19-2020, 06:39 PM   #5

THOR #12937
Thanks. That is where I thought it was based on your description and the diagram, but the picture is very helpful. You were right about the contortionist. I am able to clearly get the tester on the outside prong of the fuse and it lights up and then have to blindly slide it in to try to get to the inside prong. I am pretty sure I was on it and it did not light up, but I am not 100% as it is hard to move around in there and I can see it at all.

So, I am trying to decide if it is worth pulling the fuse and putting in a new one to see if that does anything given your warnings about being careful.

When you mentioned not accidentally welding, I assume you meant not touching two things at the same time that might be live with a metal tool and creating some type of a spark or reaction? Is that what you meant?

The front of the BCC says to disconnect the battery from the cables before opening and I did not do that for the test as doing so in the past can sometimes create its own issues with resetting certain things. Do you think I should if I replace the fuse?

Thanks so much for the help.
Old 07-19-2020, 07:44 PM   #6

THOR #2631
Hi, yes by "accidently welding" I meant that even though 12vdc is a low voltage and wont harm you, the current supplied by chassis or coach batteries can vaporize the ring on your finger or watch on your wrist into molten metal in seconds with burns to you......and can also cause much damage to RV circuits etc. So the best thing is to disconnect all power sources to the coach (shore; no gen running; no solar) and remove the main feeder ground cables from both battery strings (coach and chassis) and make sure they are isolated from any chassis metal parts. Then you can safely reach into the BCC and carefully pull the 25 amp fuse out and test it for continuity with a cheap multimeter set on the ohm meter or continuity setting. If you have continuity then the fuse is good and your problem is elsewhere. No continuity and the fuse is "probably" the problem. Take the fuse and use it to purchase a new identical one. Never replace with a larger amperage rated fuse. Good luck.

By the way, the little grey color box on the lower left side of my previously posted BCC cct board picture, is the 50 amp mini circuit breaker that connects the RV converter to the coach (house) batteries through coach latching relay. The little black button on the side of the grey cct breaker is the reset. Sometimes folks find their coach batteries are not charging.......well one of the first checks is to reset this mini cct breaker in the BCC. Might save you another issue down the road.
Old 08-02-2020, 11:14 PM   #7

THOR #12937
That was it! Thanks so much for the help.

I figured out that reset button a couple from years ago when I first bought it and brought it home from the dealer I noticed nothing seemed to be working off the house batteries. I believe I used this forum then as well because the owners manual was no help at all and it was not helpful about this fuse either. Thanks again