Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 03-29-2014, 02:52 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 30.1
State: Mississippi
THOR #647
Question New ACE, fresh water tank won't fill

We have a new ACE 30.1. On all our trips so far, we have always hooked up to shore water. Consequently, we have never filled our fresh water tank. Recently, I attempted to fill it and the fill opening overflowed after a very short time.

Thinking the filling hose volume might have surpassed the tank fill hose volume, I slowly attempted to add additional water. I quickly had a backsplash of water which showed that it (something) was full. I then let it all sit to see if the water would settle, but after several minutes, I could see the level of water was all the way to the top of the fill opening.

To determine how much water had gotten into the fresh water tank, I then put a 5 gallon bucket under the low point drains and pulled them. I only got about a quart of water in the bucket.

So, in summary, my fresh water tank is only holding about a quart of water. any ideas?

Old 03-29-2014, 12:27 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Brand: Crossroads
State: Wisconsin
THOR #124
Have you tried turning on a faucet and running the pump in your rig to see if there is water in the tank? You might have a full tank and not know it.
The check valve in the line on the city water hookup has been know to fail and this allows the fresh water tank to be filled.
Old 03-29-2014, 04:00 PM   #3

THOR #647
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
Have you tried turning on a faucet and running the pump in your rig to see if there is water in the tank? You might have a full tank and not know it.
The check valve in the line on the city water hookup has been know to fail and this allows the fresh water tank to be filled.
I admit that I have not done that and will try it tonight. But, it if was full, wouldn't it drain when I open the low point drain? Otherwise, how would you empty it to winterize?
Old 03-29-2014, 04:38 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

THOR #124
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfish4299 View Post
Otherwise, how would you empty it to winterize?
Isn't there a tube coming thru the bottom with a cap on it?
There should be something coming out of the tank it's self for draining.
Old 03-29-2014, 06:09 PM   #5

State: Nevada
THOR #582
We have a 2014 30.1 with the same problem. I used one of the filler tubes and managed to get a few gallons in. I did blow out the screen next to the filler tube, that seemed to help with a few gallons.
Took it into Premier Motor Coach in Tucson and they had no problem filling it. Nothing helps you feel more like a fool than taking it in for service and they can't find a problem.
When we had trouble filing it the weather was very cold. The 2 times we were able to get a full tank was in Tucson when it was warm. Can't explain it.....
Old 03-29-2014, 06:17 PM   #6

THOR #647
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
Isn't there a tube coming thru the bottom with a cap on it?
There should be something coming out of the tank it's self for draining.
Thanks for your help & suggestions Lloyd. There is not anything coming from the bottom of the tank and the schematic I have shows the tank draining to the low point drain. For clarification, this is a 2014 Thor ACE 30.1, in case anyone has a similar model.
Old 03-29-2014, 09:35 PM   #7

THOR #647
Thanks sydyoung. Sorry about this but glad to know that you are having trouble too. When we first got the coach, I filled the tanks with no trouble and then drained the system. Now, it just accepts a little water. Really strange, almost like there was a flap valve or something that prevents water from getting in.

When I start filling, I can hear the water hitting the bottom of an empty sounding tank, but the water quickly overflows in the filler hose and no more goes into the holding tank.
Old 03-30-2014, 12:31 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

THOR #124
Have you check to see if the vent is working? Maybe the hose has gotten pinched off.
Old 03-30-2014, 01:24 AM   #9

THOR #647
Great thought Lloyd! That would probably explain it. I will check on that.
Old 04-02-2014, 01:39 AM   #10

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Texas
THOR #320
filling fresh water tank

I ran into this with my last fifth wheel. I cut off about 3 feet from a water hose and I use it to fill my tank. I attach it to my fresh water line then push about 2 feet of it down the fill tube before I turn on the fresh water line. Works fine.
Old 04-21-2014, 10:37 PM   #11

THOR #647
Smile

Thanks to all for the suggestions! I have the answer!!! First off, I did use a short section of 1/2 inch hose to fill the tank. That worked great because the 1/2 inch section easily fit into the filler hose and still had room to allow venting which allowed it to fill.

I was having work done at River City RV in Little Rock, AR and asked them to take a look. What they found was that at installation, the hose was too long and both the fill hose and vent went all the way to the bottom surface of the tank. As soon as I got an inch or so of water in the tank, it wouldn't vent anymore so the hose filled and overflowed. They cut off the extra length of hose and now all works great!!

Thanks to all for the great suggestions and I am glad the problem is finally fixed!
Old 04-03-2015, 02:10 AM   #12

Model: A.C.E. 30.1
State: Tennessee
THOR #1300
mfish4299....I am having the same problem with my 2014 30.1. I never needed it so I never tried it until this week. Too late for service and too far to go. Did they say which end of the fill line the cut off ? Or how the got to it ???? Love to have your feedback.
Old 04-03-2015, 02:21 AM   #13

THOR #647
Wish I could help! We have since sold that rig and now drive a diesel pusher. I assumed that they just pulled the hose from the filler spout until it filled properly. I cannot verify that but it is my assumption.

Good Luck!
Old 04-03-2015, 06:16 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Model: 2011 Four Winds 28Z
State: Michigan
THOR #531
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfish4299 View Post
What they found was that at installation, the hose was too long and both the fill hose and vent went all the way to the bottom surface of the tank.
On my coach, the fill and vent tubes attach to fittings on the top of the tank. Are they now so cheap they are no longer using such fittings?
Old 04-09-2015, 01:16 AM   #15

Model: A.C.E. 30.1
State: Tennessee
THOR #1300
Thanks for your input....Problem solved (with your help)..Thanks. Found the vent tube for the fresh water fill too long with several kinks. This prevented the tank to vent and caused the blow-back. Had to trim the tube to proper size and install a slightly smaller tube "inside" the OEM tube. Sort of a "stent" to hold the OEM tube open. Worked great....Now on to the Next thing...what ever it may be !!!!!!