Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 05-05-2021, 09:59 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2014 Hurricane 34E
State: Alabama
THOR #6181
2014 Hurricane wiper issues

Yesterday when returning to Alabama we traveled thru monsoon rains most of the day. About 3/4 of the way the wipers started making a noise and I was afraid of what was happening. Finally wipers locked up. The passenger side came almost all the way to the bottom of the windshield on the driver side. I tried to pull under a bridge to see what was wrong but shoulder was too narrow. So drove w/o wipers to next exit. Thank God for Rain-X washer fluid. All I use and it helped but did drop to 45 mph and turned on flashers.
Next exit pulled over in wide spot and got soaked. But, since it was the passenger side I took that wiper off and tried w driver only. That worked as the driver side didnt go as far wo that extra weight flopping around. We made home just fine.
I did ask for Thor help and they at least gave me the manufacture name of wiper system. In Brazil!!! Not sure how much help they be but maybe.
The dilemma now is figured out what is wrong or taking to a dealer. Any ideas or is dealer only option? Thx Dennis.

Old 05-05-2021, 10:26 PM   #2

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
If there are no obvious issues with the mechanical linkage replace the motor and gear box
Old 05-06-2021, 02:05 PM   #3

THOR #6181
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwmcguire View Post
If there are no obvious issues with the mechanical linkage replace the motor and gear box
Just curious sir, why the motor? It appears the motor just goes round and round and doesn't control travel. Or does this mean gears stripped? Thx, Dennis.
Old 05-06-2021, 04:25 PM   #4

State: North Carolina
THOR #19102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Budman View Post
Just curious sir, why the motor? It appears the motor just goes round and round and doesn't control travel. Or does this mean gears stripped? Thx, Dennis.
Just test it, pull everything off the motor and see if it works. If so add a bit back and test. Rinse repeat.
Old 05-06-2021, 05:10 PM   #5

THOR #6903
Quote:
Originally Posted by Budman View Post
The ones I have replaces were about the same cost per an entire unit versus just the motor. And often the gears are shot as well.
Old 05-07-2021, 01:55 PM   #6

THOR #6181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campnjoe View Post
Just test it, pull everything off the motor and see if it works. If so add a bit back and test. Rinse repeat.
Already ran as i took the passenger off and ran to get home. But was back yesterday and confirmed passenger ran as designed.
I don't hear well but it did sound like extra noise coming from linkage like a bushing bad. But when seating still/off, doesn't move when shaken. So not sure.
I'm almost to the place put passenger back on and try. Is it possible we ran so much motor got hot and started misbehaving somehow? Yesterday driver did not go too far at ll but windshield was dry. Thx, Dennis.
Old 05-15-2021, 04:17 AM   #7

Model: 34J
State: Washington
THOR #20249
I'm having similar issues on my 17 34J. With both wipers going, the Passenger side would over lap and the drivers side would get stuck. Ended up taking off the passengers side off. Ran ok, but I have to delay. Put a new blinker/wiper switch in and sometimes it works. Other times I can't get it to shut off without reaching under the dash and unplugging the relay. Frustrating to say the least.
Old 05-15-2021, 12:17 PM   #8

THOR #6903
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ffhollander View Post
I'm having similar issues on my 17 34J. With both wipers going, the Passenger side would over lap and the drivers side would get stuck. Ended up taking off the passengers side off. Ran ok, but I have to delay. Put a new blinker/wiper switch in and sometimes it works. Other times I can't get it to shut off without reaching under the dash and unplugging the relay. Frustrating to say the least.
Sounds like some slack in the linkage
Old 05-15-2021, 07:00 PM   #9

THOR #6181
I called Thor and they were no help. I ask for a drawing and they said they didnt have one but tell shop to call them and they could get parts. I ask about the parts drawing but was told it didnt exist?????? Parts drawing HAS to exist.
At thor depends on who answers and how they feel that day.
On another issue I had one guy tell me give him a double hours and he'd call me back. He called and set all kinds of info and drawings. So i took to a truck shop and had them look. They told me bushings, a couple screws backed out on motor frame, and arm on motor bent now.
I hope they have better luck w Thor than I did. Good luck w yours, Dennis.
Old 06-04-2021, 07:54 PM   #10

Model: Windsport 34J
State: New Jersey
THOR #18880
So I have a '15 34J

Had the same issue - passenger wiper in the middle of a storm, dropped to just point to the road. we were lucky to make it to our destination. Took it to 3 RV places so far - no-one can (or wants to) fix it.

The only 'work around' that the first RV place was able to provide was to remove the passenger side wiper arm, that way the driver side wiper is usable (although unstable).

The last place we took it to, took off the wiper linkage off and it appeared that the rubber socket was cracked. They insisted on fixing it, but after sitting in their lot for 4 weeks and only deciding to look at it the day before we needed the RV back for a trip, I refused to drive the 1.5hours to return the rig to them from our home.

After calling Thro and Wexco, I was able to determine the parts are:
Wiper Linkages - 21": 0230415 ($26.85 CampingWorld)
13": 0230419 ($26.85 CampingWorld)
Original MFR: Wexco industries

I didn't have the rig with me and just ordered both parts, few weeks later after they arrived I tried to install them. I can confidently say the 13" is the linkage between the passenger wiper and the center mechanics. I just can't seem to get the ball inserted into the black metal part (but maybe I didn't have the right tools, it certainly wouldn't just snap on/over the ball joint). I need to get back to the rig to see if a wrench/grip would help with connecting them, but I'm worried if I use any tools I'll just crack the plastic socket.

Also if anyone needs it, our cabin vents by the driver/passenger had broke, the big round ones the heat/AC flow through; they are parts # 0368863 pro-air ($13.16 at CampingWorld).

Any advice would be helpful, if anyone has any experience with this...I watched a few videos on youtube of this repair on other vehicles and most just snap together with a little pressure and twist, wasn't so lucky the first time, but I'll give it another shot.
Old 06-04-2021, 09:09 PM   #11
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Some ball & socket joints have a sliding lock over the socket. You have to slide it toward the arm end to get the ball in and then slide it back into place where it snaps in as it is made of spring steel.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 02:47 PM   #12

Model: Windsport 34J
State: New Jersey
THOR #18880
Thanks, I saw a few of those in videos but don't believe that's the case here, but I'll definitely check!
Old 06-05-2021, 04:19 PM   #13

THOR #6181
I guess this reminds me to call truck shop and see if they had any luck finding the parts. Thx, Dennis
Old 07-10-2021, 03:14 PM   #14

THOR #6181
Well shop finally found parts and there were changes to the assembly. Thor will not sell parts separately because of the changes. The superceded part is much beefier than the original. I guess that's what happens when you have so many wiper recalls. So be prepared!!!
Part was $500 and labor was $466, total $966. Didn't expect to be so high but wipers work now.
Also washer motor is not working. Quit right before I had wipers fixed but I was was using heavily while having trouble and trying to keep windshield wet and wipers from locking up. But, hopefully fuse or pump can be replaced. I would assume pump may be a Ford item and can find at parts store. We'll see, I may get to check it out soon. Thx Budman.