Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 09-04-2014, 02:15 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: New Jersey
THOR #1085
2014 siesta sprinter

Getting ready to pull the trigger on 2014 siesta sprinter 24sr
Saturday will be punchlisting out, anything to look out for?

Anyone who has the unit, how is it?

Thanks

Old 09-05-2014, 04:03 AM   #2

State: Florida
THOR #934
I have had one for 4 months. It has spent more time in the repair shop than out camping. It has a lot of features that I liked, but the quality control was a "great let down". Cab is very hot even when driving. Had to buy an outside window cover so that the main air would work when camping in Florida. I have the diesel model and get 13 miles per gallon, but it costs 50 cents or more per gallon over gas. Not sure I saved anything. If I had to buy again...not sure I would. On my model, the bed cannot be used when moving, slide out, and the couch is to short to lay down on. Easy to drive, and goes anywhere. Just not worth the price for the quality. Just my opinion!!
Old 09-05-2014, 03:10 PM   #3

THOR #1085
hmmm not quite what I wanted to hear.....but thanks for the input will bring this into consideration
Old 09-05-2014, 03:12 PM   #4

THOR #1085
anybody else? I know thor has build issue with fit and finish.

duelist
what was the rig in the shop for?
Old 09-05-2014, 03:44 PM   #5

Brand: Still Looking
Model: 2016 Newmar
State: Indiana
THOR #1075
Duelist,

Did you have issues with the engine? I have the same engine and close to the same weight but I get 18-22 MPG. I would check with Mercedes and see what the issue is.

I agree that it can go anywhere. If a car can go, the Sprinter can go...except fast food drive throughs. But then, we shouldn't go there anyway. Maybe that the RV industry's was of telling us to eat healthy.
Old 09-05-2014, 05:36 PM   #6

THOR #1085
aa

22 mpg that would be awesome, have you had any issues?

Anything i need to look out for?
Old 09-05-2014, 06:09 PM   #7

THOR #1075
I don't have the same coach you have but both your's and mine are on a Sprinter chassis.

I don't have a Mercedes dealer near me so I use a Freightliner service department. They sell the Sprinter and can do warranty work on the engine and drive train. I suggest you get it serviced regularly and you might want to check the "Sprinter" discussion as they have good information on systems that are not Thor. Just Google it or I can send the address if you need it.

I don't regularly get 22 but I have. I usually get 18 to 20 depending on how heavy my foot is. Mine likes to meander and not rush; to take it's time. It repays me by giving very good mileage. Check out the Sprinter group.

I check into three different groups to answer my questions. You can pick up good advice in different places. I am looking at Thor because I am consoidering buying one and want to know what owners are experiencing.

Good luck and please post any issues you are having. Comments can help others fix theirs.

Phil
Old 09-05-2014, 06:20 PM   #8

THOR #934
Micro-stove quit working, drawers did not stay closed, one fell off the rail completely. Wood trim vinyl came off around the bed area, water valve was left open, wouldn't hold water in tank, not part of walk though. Water leak around the front slide, into the coach. hub caps were loose, stripped screws, trim around wheel was loose, screws not tighten - not a big deal until you track down the noise and fix yourself. Trim around the driver's window was not fastened down. Most of this is quality control. This coach was expensive and foolish me assumed that I was getting quality. Things I don't like that you don't find out until its too late. No window tinting, front floor is like a 66 chevy I had, no insulation, noisy. I can't say enough about the radio (bad, cheap) in dash, so I won't. I installed a satellite on top and found out the wiring is only for coax, not hdmi. Had to buy an old receiver to work, had to add outlet for receiver plus 12 volt for satellite. Therostat is very easy to get off setting, moving around bed, can be turned to heater with your back touching the control.
I am OK with the motor home now, but for the price I expected more quality. I will check into the mileage as I have been to the Mercedes dealer twice to fix seat belts, 2 hours each way. Warranty work is not covered by Thor on anything that came from Mercedes.
Hindsight is great!!!!
Old 09-05-2014, 06:34 PM   #9

THOR #1085
WOW.

Sounds like you got a friday build. These things I will check on my punchlist.

for me, this is the same as a million dollar rig!!!

Thanks for the input on the sprinter forums, I have been poking around them already.

The initial rundown on this unit, Cabinets are squared up, and all "looks" well.
This dealer doesnt know what they are in for on saturday, I will arrive with toolbox in hand! Tinted windows is a good point, they are big. I found the rig to be fairly quiet, atleast compared to my jamboree 31m with e450. You may be able to insulate under the plastic floor....(I know for this kind of money all should be taken care of.)

Thanks again for the input!

anyone else?
Old 09-05-2014, 06:42 PM   #10

THOR #1075
Ouch! That's more than one should expect to have trouble with.

Another sourch of information might be the Airstream Class B discussion group. While it is a different manufacturer there is a lot of discussion on the engine and drive train.

I know this is little consolation for you but a gentleman there is talking about selling his unit as he has had too many issues too.

I appreciate the info on the tinted windows, those are important in this type of unit. Are others finding similar issues, maybe not in numbers, but in quality of product and workmanship in the Vegas/Axis units?
Old 09-05-2014, 08:05 PM   #11

THOR #934
I didn't list everything. The good news is that when I am done I "may" have the motor home I thought I was buying.
Old 09-07-2014, 01:25 AM   #12

THOR #1085
Well, had to move everything to Monday. So we will see what I find then!

Thanks again for the info.....

These units are a bit hard to find, really hard to find used, hope that's a good sign.
Old 09-07-2014, 02:34 AM   #13

State: Oklahoma
THOR #1092
When you look at the unit pay particular attention to the shower area. The basin cabinet next to the shower pan has no way to keep water from running under it as there is a one inch space at the bottom of the cabinet. I had to put a plastic diverter on the side of the cabinet that would go out over the edge of the shower pan to keep water from running down the side of the cabinet onto the floor and out into the living area. It is a design flaw that my dealer had to fix. You will understand the first time you take a shower. Lots of little stuff that escaped QC. Get under the rear of the coach and make sure all wiring properly hung and bound as mine was all hanging in the wind. The main generator cable was actually laying on the exhaust pipe and burned through. Make sure all basement doors are aligned and the screws and hinges are tight and square. Get up on the roof and make sure all of the seals are even and there are no voids. I made the dealer change the lower keys and cams on the basement doors because there were different key sets and the cheap ones everybody has were on part of the doors. One double sided key should fit all storage area doors. Make sure the forward ceiling vents over the front upper cab have air flow. Mine didn't and the dealer had to take the ceiling down and remove excess vent hose because of poor installation. No air flow no air condition up above. Some drawers were missing the hold close latches, check all drawers and doors. Check all wood and trim for exposed nail gun staples. Make the dealer install front and rear tire valve extensions as part of your deal. If you don't have them you will be crawling around on the ground trying to check your tire pressure or fill you tires. There is no way to get to the inside rear duals without them. Don't get me wrong we love our coach but if you don't get these things done before the sale you might not be able to get them after.
Old 09-07-2014, 02:44 AM   #14

THOR #1092
One more thing, When you swivel the drivers seat around it will likely pull a small pair of wires (connector) apart because it may not be long enough or routed properly. It is the seat belt sensor and if you do pull it apart or break the wires the SRS warning light will go off on the dash. The dealer won't know why and will tell you you have to take it to a Mercedes or truck center to be diagnosed. All it is is the reconnection of the wires. Swivel the seat carefully while watching the wire and make sure it is properly routed and or long enough.
Old 09-07-2014, 12:20 PM   #15

THOR #1085
Good stuff right here, thanks ksrow, interesting about the shower.

All of your input has gone on my master checklist. Appointment is at 3 Monday, guess the techs will get some overtime! Lol
Old 09-07-2014, 12:46 PM   #16

THOR #1085
Ksrow,

With all of that being said and done. How do you like the sprinter chassis?
How is the layout working for you? Storage ample enough? Etc?

This is an early downsize for us. I am coming from a 31m jamboree. There are 4 of us and in a few years there will be 2.

Are any of the tvs 12v? I am already aware that the back bed is "unusable when slide is in". I will be performing a mod for this. Either I will make the mattress flip down if enough room or I will remove completely and reattach after slide is out.

Crosswinds? You get blown around a lot? This freaks the Dw out!

The only other item for me is I need to get a 2nd table.....dealer wants 300
Just incase for those rainy days want a place for 4 to eat.

And of course anything else you can think of.
Old 09-08-2014, 12:07 PM   #17

THOR #1092
We love the Sprinter SR plenty of storage and the layout is great. Shower is small but I am expanding the shower track for more upper body room. Should make a lot of difference, all of these type of units are small but thats the idea. No 12v TVs will probably add an inverter mod. Not enough room to flip the mattress down while slide is in but it is a very comfortable mattress. Cross winds are not a problem at all and we live in Oklahoma and the aerodynamics on this unit are great. I would also suggest you buy an UltraGauge. It plugs in at the diagnostics port under the left side of the dash mounts to the windshield and gives you all the realtime data you could ever want including any trouble codes that might pop up as well as real time MPG Avg MPG Time Till Empty Fuel remaining ETC.. Just search the internet for Ultra Gauge. S
Old 09-08-2014, 12:12 PM   #18

THOR #1092
When you program the Ultra Gauge the Fuel tank size is 26.4 Gallons.
Old 09-08-2014, 11:38 PM   #19

Model: Citation Sprinter 24SR
State: Oregon
THOR #972
We've had a 2015 Citation Sprinter 24SR since late July; previous rig was a Winnebago View with the corner bed floor plan. I've put 4k miles on it since purchase without any engine/drivetrain issues. I can ditto the list of QC issues and was very disappointed at an obvious lack of concern for quality. I am still enamored with the floor plan and some of the other features.

Get a really thorough pre-buy inspection, even look under the mattress for construction debris. Have them where and how one drains the fresh water tank. I made assumptions based on my previous Sprinter-based rig and had a steep learning curve once on the road.

Like my previous rig over 35k miles, I get 13-15 MPG with this one.
Old 09-09-2014, 12:59 AM   #20

Model: Citation 24SR
State: Colorado
THOR #900
We have a 2014 Citation SR on the Sprinter chassis--Have put about 6200 miles on it since late May. This is our first MH and we've been on a major learning curve... had some minor issues (a leak in the back slide, wiring from the TV to DVD), but are really happy overall. We love the interior layout--spacious for two of us and our two big dogs. We prefer to stay in state and national parks and the smaller size gets us into some beautiful sites.

The engine is amazing--we live in Colorado and have driven over many 10,000+ foot passes in the past 3 months--no problem! We get about 15-16 MPG, keeping the speed about 65 max on the highway. Driving is pretty easy, although we've been in some pretty high winds across Wyoming--hold onto the steering wheel with two hands. We tend to drive about 200 miles per day, camp for one night, and drive again... The ease of set-up and take-down is SO wonderful, especially after dealing with a tent trailer years ago!

We discovered (confirmed by the Thor factory) that the Sprinter chassis battery is not connected at all to the coach batteries in the 2014 Thor/2013 Sprinter models (MBZ will not allow it). That means you'll need to recharge your coach batteries by either camping with electricity every 3 days or so, or running your generator for 2-3 hours per day (you can do this while you're driving). Like I said, we are MAJOR beginners and have learned a lot.

Enjoy your new rig--We've learned to ask lots of questions (we call Thor and Camping World a lot) and we don't let "small" issues get in our way--just get up and GO, right?! Happy travels!!