Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 11-23-2021, 02:47 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Washington
THOR #25236
2014 Thor Ace dash fan removal.

Hello, I have searched everywhere for answers to this and have not had any luck. I have a 2014 Thor Ace 30.1 that the dash fan is really starting to make a lot of noise. I have looked all over to find out how you get the fan out without destroying the dash or taking it in to be replaced for $1000. I believe I found the fan for about $150 so if anybody has a secret to how it comes out please let me know. Thanks.

Old 12-01-2021, 07:55 PM   #2

Model: A.C.E 27.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2861
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBS99 View Post
Hello, I have searched everywhere for answers to this and have not had any luck. I have a 2014 Thor Ace 30.1 that the dash fan is really starting to make a lot of noise. I have looked all over to find out how you get the fan out without destroying the dash or taking it in to be replaced for $1000. I believe I found the fan for about $150 so if anybody has a secret to how it comes out please let me know. Thanks.
After looking about and under the dash, which is vinyl covered wood, I made a square jigsaw cut in the dash right in front of the fan. The fan comes right out. The reason they fail is because that heavy metal squirrel cage was installed and thus the overloaded bearing fails. I got the blower manufacturer contact information off the motor. I called them and they gave a direct replacement part number that I ordered from AutoZone for $54. It went right onto the housing and the mounting screw holes lined up exactly, and it operates perfectly, with a plastic squirrel cage. To finish the job, I made a wooden cover for the dash hole, stained it and used stainless square drive screws to mount it to the wood around the hole that remained. Now it looks like the coach came that way.
Old 12-02-2021, 01:45 AM   #3

THOR #25236
Quote:
Originally Posted by david.l.good.33 View Post
After looking about and under the dash, which is vinyl covered wood, I made a square jigsaw cut in the dash right in front of the fan. The fan comes right out. The reason they fail is because that heavy metal squirrel cage was installed and thus the overloaded bearing fails. I got the blower manufacturer contact information off the motor. I called them and they gave a direct replacement part number that I ordered from AutoZone for $54. It went right onto the housing and the mounting screw holes lined up exactly, and it operates perfectly, with a plastic squirrel cage. To finish the job, I made a wooden cover for the dash hole, stained it and used stainless square drive screws to mount it to the wood around the hole that remained. Now it looks like the coach came that way.

That is great that you did it that way. I have started to remove stuff but got sidetracked.Do you by chance have the part number from Autozone? I have removed the top above the fan and the screws on the right hand side of the front panel but I have not got to the left screws yet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	front panel.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	160.3 KB
ID:	35067  
Old 12-02-2021, 04:02 AM   #4

Model: A.C.E 27.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2861
No part #
Old 12-02-2021, 12:01 PM   #5

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
Quote:
Originally Posted by david.l.good.33 View Post
No part #
Please post a picture of your finished dash.
Old 01-02-2022, 02:47 AM   #6

THOR #25236
Dash fan removal.

So after trying to take apart the center dash area and still unable to access the 3 screws on the left side I took a pair of vice grips and backed the screws back so the panel would move enough to pull the right side out to remove the fan. Once I did that it went back in easily and I used the vice grips to tighten the screws again. I bought the fan from Comfort Air. https://comfortairgr.com/shop/12v-bl...evans-tempcon/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	panel3b.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	35440   Click image for larger version

Name:	panel3a.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	35441